Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Stepping away from being a rifleman

Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    I may be making a mistake, and I can rejoin within 12 months by just doing a basic qual and attending the next in-service, but given the above I think it's the right call.
    I see your reasoning, but wonder... Other than the annual training requirement, does participating in your program obligate you to do any of the things that you're concerned about? Why not keep your options open for your wisdom and experience to guide?
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

1) I'm largely unwilling to be in plain clothes with a long gun out, especially in low light situations, in scenarios were a rifle is likely to matter. My concerns for blue on blue are higher than in years past, regardless of if that means I was too optimistic then or too pessimistic now.
    I think this is an extremely valuable perspective, especially for LEOs who are relatively new to working in plain clothes. As a plain clothes investigator, I’m not responding to a critical incident unless I’m in a unique position to end it, as opposed to the scores of uniformed patrol cops who are a couple minutes away. And if I find myself in that unique position, I’d much rather be able to holster a handgun before the cavalry gets there vs. having a long gun deployed when they arrive. I’d estimate its a 50/50 chance of being shot by responding LEOs if I'm standing at the scene of a reported active shooter with an AR in my hands.

2) I'm in an unmarked car with no real good way to secure the rifle other than a locked trunk, which frankly isn't all that secure. My car is often left unattended in a parking space that's difficult to observe and has a high transient population. I'm unwilling to leave sunglasses in the car, let alone a rifle and ammo. Anyone who breaks into it is getting road flares, a traffic vest, a handcuff key, and a chemical response suit.
    I went through this same calculus when I went from patrol to detectives, but still had my issued AR. Responding to a death scene in a shitty neighborhood in the middle of the night…I’m not leaving anything in the unattended/unmarked car that I’m not willing to lose. I settled on leaving my AR at home off-duty and in a locked container in the office on-duty. If I felt I needed it for something, I’d bring it. Otherwise it stayed locked up. Sure it was a PITA to constantly carry it back and forth, but I refused to be THAT guy who had his rifle stolen in a vehicle burg.

3) I do not feel I'm adequately training to serve well. Since we can no longer train on our own on Fridays and since patrol rifle in-service is one day a year and focusing on things that, IMO, are of limited value, my skills are declining.
    Here is where I have to play devil’s advocate. You may not be adequately keeping up with the standard you set for yourself. But are you realistically more competent with a rifle than the average LEO carrying an AR at your agency? If so, then I think there’s an argument for you to keep it.

4) I'm in a role where I really shouldn't be grabbing a rifle anyway, and if I have one that's always the temptation. I can't be on a long gun and doing my real job.
    Can’t argue here. I’ve responded to a few critical incidents in which loads of plain clothes detectives, admin folks and off duty officers responded code and dumped out of their cars with guns drawn. And these were scenes where there were ALREADY marked units there. I get it, we’re all type As and want to help, but cops just cant help themselves sometimes.

Quote Originally Posted by Lester Polfus View Post
    The only thing where I could see this not going well is if your city gets involved in some kind of crazy, extended scenario where everybody needs to be on deck with a long gun. I guess if that happens, you just go check out a rifle and make things happen.
    BBI,

I agree with your points and reasoning. For the above quoted reason, I see no reason why you can't stay qualified on the rifle while still executing the protocols you've outlined, except maybe for the question below.

Quote Originally Posted by ST911 View Post
    I see your reasoning, but wonder... Other than the annual training requirement, does participating in your program obligate you to do any of the things that you're concerned about? Why not keep your options open for your wisdom and experience to guide?
    "It's surprising how often you start wondering just how featureless a desert some people's inner landscapes must be."
    -Maple Syrup Actual

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Whitlock View Post
    BBI,

I agree with your points and reasoning. For the above quoted reason, I see no reason why you can't stay qualified on the rifle while still executing the protocols you've outlined, except maybe for the question below.
    I could stay qualified and just not carry it, but I don't see the point in taking up a training slot and keeping the numbers of available riflemen artificially inflated to do so. They don't train new riflemen routinely, so letting them know I'm out helps bump up the next class that nth degree more.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

I could stay qualified and just not carry it, but I don't see the point in taking up a training slot and keeping the numbers of available riflemen artificially inflated to do so. They don't train new riflemen routinely, so letting them know I'm out helps bump up the next class that nth degree more.
    That now makes perfect sense. My agency is not so large that there are more personnel than qualification opportunities.
    "It's surprising how often you start wondering just how featureless a desert some people's inner landscapes must be."
    -Maple Syrup Actual

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Whitlock View Post
    That now makes perfect sense. My agency is not so large that there are more personnel than qualification opportunities.
    I'd guess we're at roughly 10% rifle qualified.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

Solid logic. Save the training time and dollars for someone who might need it more.
    #RESIST

I gave up my Taser when I went behind the wire for the training gig, but it was a matter of my having it deprived someone else.

As for the logic of not carrying a rifle due to being third wave, does that mean that one is not going to respond to a hot call when one is out and about? Suppose one is responding as part of the third wave to work a cold scene, but an "officer in trouble" call comes over the radio from two blocks away from one's present location. Would one not then become a first wave responder?
    I had an ER nurse in a class. I noticed she kept taking all head shots. Her response when asked why, "'I've seen too many people who have been shot in the chest putting up a fight in the ER." Point taken.

I retired 12/2021 and came back 2/2022 in a part time role. Plain car, soft uniform plus outter carrier vest, etc.

I re-qualified with a rifle with optic and it’s in the trunk of the raggedy Impala they issued me. Has to be in the trunk per policy. I was well known to be the guy that would solve things and the powers that be wanted me rifled up.

Interestingly enough, one week back I was standing in the rain covering a lone K9 officer at a shots fired call. Suspect was oblivious to my presence and had he shot at the K9 guy, I would have ended him from a mere 30 yards away.

Regards.

And then there is this:

I had an ER nurse in a class. I noticed she kept taking all head shots. Her response when asked why, "'I've seen too many people who have been shot in the chest putting up a fight in the ER." Point taken.

User Tag List