Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Beretta 92 slides-lighter is better?

Quote Originally Posted by Sero Sed Serio View Post
    My working hypothesis is that the lighter slide P228 will feel the flattest due to gas cycling and lack of slide dip, and that the gun will snap back to where I want it to be without any bobble.
    Careful with the conclusions, though. Because slide dip is often a symptom of being oversprung (for ammo used) and can be tuned out with a few pound change in recoil spring weight.

So have to judge those two variables when comparing slides.
    Last edited by JCN; 04-23-2022 at 08:10 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Super77 View Post
    I'm under the impression that slide weight is dictated by slide velocity; you can't have it too fast or too slow. Manufacturers make the slide weight close to the middle of the acceptable range, but competition shooters seem to want it a little on the lighter end of the spectrum to improve the sights returning to target. It makes sense that the lighter the slide and heavier the frame, the less disruption you'll have when the slide moves. I've never heard of a reason the slide weight would depend on frame weight. I think you can just get the frame as heavy as possible and still stay within the rules. You might even get a small reliability bump when the frame doesn't leak energy by moving.
    I’ll add some additional context.

Slide weight is often designed into a firearm based off the intended cartridge power.

Same thing with recoil spring weight.

Most duty firearms are set up for NATO power or +P diet.

Gamers are set up for minimum power factor 9mm ammo… which makes energy like a 380 ACP.

That’s why a lot of military / LEO guns don’t run well on stock springs with gamer ammo.

I personally feel the brig slide tracks better with a 13# recoil spring and reduced weight hammer spring but the weight difference is not huge between the brig and vertec slides.

I recently got back into a Beretta;

A 92x RDO, full size.
    Basically a Vertec. The recoil on the gun is absolutely flat, and comes back on target nicely.
    The last time I was at the range there was a fella there with an X Centurion....that a nice shooting gun. I was able to shoot a magazine out of it, and thought that it may be a 'perfect' sized Beretta.
    I did not run it fast.
    Recoil and rise were perceived to be no different than my full size X.
    "... And miles to go before I sleep".

Quote Originally Posted by Stony Lane View Post
    Weight of 92 slides:
    Compact- 11.0 0z.
    Regular- 11.7
    Vertec- 11.9
    Brig. - 12.6
    92XP Brig.- 12.7
    LTT RDO (SRO) - 13.1

I can't tell much difference when shooting, maybe others can.
    Ammo selection is much more of a factor than slide weight.
    92X Perfromance DEFENSIVE slide:
    11.4 OZ.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Quote Originally Posted by JCN View Post
    Careful with the conclusions, though. Because slide dip is often a symptom of being oversprung (for ammo used) and can be tuned out with a few pound change in recoil spring weight.

So have to judge those two variables when comparing slides.
    I thought the spring was chosen to absorb and store most of the KE imparted to the slide so it bumps into the frame with only enough extra energy to ensure it travels all the way back even when dirty, etc. Then that stored energy drives the slide back forward. Tuning to minimize slide dip and shooting more powerful loads could lead to excess battering.

In a 1911, the firing pin stop is a changeable part and is tuneable. Changing the radius at the bottom changes its leverage over the hammer, and thus the amount of force that is required to cock the hammer. So it makes a huge difference in the KE imparted to the slide versus to the whole gun.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    I thought the spring was chosen to absorb and store most of the KE imparted to the slide so it bumps into the frame with only enough extra energy to ensure it travels all the way back even when dirty, etc. Then that stored energy drives the slide back forward. Tuning to minimize slide dip and shooting more powerful loads could lead to excess battering.
    I kind of thought modern recoil springs had way less thought and care put into them and often use a “one size fits none” strategy where manufacturers pick something middle ground that will function and protect their guns for 100k rounds even if it means they’re oversprung for shooting.

Watching the evolution of iterations of Glock RSAs over calibers and generations might have made me jaded though.

All I know is that I want a gun to shoot well and I’d rather have a gun that shoots well for 30k rounds than one that shoots not as well for 100k…

I'm going to have to weigh the slide on this, this afternoon.

Recently back from Langdon. A 92x Centurion, RDO cut, and a RM04.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Interested to hear how they compare in performance CSW, thinking about getting an LTT Centurion or Compact myself.

Based on the chart Im guessing it will weigh just a bit more than an iron sighted full length slide, and so may recoil like a full size? On the other hand, you also have the shorter recoil spring.

Quote Originally Posted by TicTacticalTimmy View Post
    Interested to hear how they compare in performance CSW, thinking about getting an LTT Centurion or Compact myself.

Based on the chart Im guessing it will weigh just a bit more than an iron sighted full length slide, and so may recoil like a full size? On the other hand, you also have the shorter recoil spring.
    I'll put it on the scale in a bit, but honestly, I think that the recoil impulse is about the same for the 92X full size, and the centurion.
    In this Centurion, I put the Wilson 12.5 recoil spring and steel guide rod.

Langdon did the RDO cut, barrel and TJIAB.
    It's a very flat recoil, and while I'm still learning how to follow the dot, it's as easy to follow as a FO front sight.

User Tag List