Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Seeking holster suggestions for Hill People Gear fanny pack

Quote Originally Posted by Totem Polar View Post
    To be clear, the kydex is really for SFAs. I've run all over serious bear country with my HPG runner and either a 5" 1911 or medium/large frame .357/.44 and not cared. That said, I'm personally not cool with a more compact SFA bouncing around in there without the zaccheus. JMO.
    Good point! For me it's mainly about the size of the gun. A Glock 20 fits securely in the padded pouch, and I have no problem carrying one without a trigger cover. A smaller gun could flip upside down. I don't like the idea of putting my hand in the pouch and having the gun be pointing up at my chin.
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie
    Shabbat shalom, motherf***ers! --Mordechai Jefferson Carver

Another factor is how stuffed the front pouch is, and with what. I was fatbiking on some cliff trails today, and i had all sorts of lumpy shit (med gear, phone, keys, spare mag, flashlight, beard comb... the list goes on) in the front compartment, deforming the fabric wall between gun stuff and stuff stuff. Since I'm also a lazy ass when climbing, the gun was my gadgeted G42. Which had a lot of room to move on the downhills. That math is easy to do.
    😊
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

Site Supporter
    Maybe something like this. Easier to put an extra hole or two in to retain holster to inside of pack etc.

I have used one to "hold" an extra glock in my shooting bag for a fair bit now with great success. Kind of a trigger guard holster on steroids for the same applications

Blackhawk ARC Holster (Injection molded IWB for 12 ish )
    https://ads.midwayusa.com/product/10...caAtaYEALw_wcB
    I am not your attorney. I am not giving legal advice. Any and all opinions expressed are personal and my own and are not those of any employer-past, present or future.

I forgot about those Blackhawk holsters. They are actually decent holsters. It would be easy to slap some velcro on one.
    Instagram: sometimesishootCs

I'm using a VERTX Tatigami https://vertx.com/mph-sub holster in my HPG Snubby fanny pack.

I've used a HPG Kit Bag for years, with a lot of hours in use. I've never used a holster inside my Kit Bag.

I was planning to do the same with my fanny pack, but I discovered something. The pocket is much smaller on the snubby, and I've always used the draw method where I leave the two pocket zippers slightly apart, insert my off hand thumb and then pull the pocket open to access the pistol.

On a regular sized kit bag this works great. However, with the snubby, I found that by the time I had cleared the pocket open enough to access the pistol, at times there wasn't a lot of pocket left to hold the pistol if I did my draw with vigor. During some draw drills with a safely unloaded pistol, I had one instance where the pistol slipped out of the pocket. I found if I purposefully kept my opening of the pocket minimal, it could slow down my draw with less than optimal access.

with a sticky backed holster to keep the pistol in place, I can perform the opening as vigorously as I want and my pistol is retained in place with certainty for my strong hand to start my grip.

Site Supporter
    Enigma holsters from Tony are now on their way. I will know how well this works in a few days.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Any legal information I may post is general information, and is not legal advice. Such information may or may not apply to your specific situation. I am not your attorney unless an attorney-client relationship is separately and privately established.

Quote Originally Posted by BillSWPA View Post
    I recently replaced my worn out Tommy's Gun Pack with a Hill People Gear snubby size fanny pack. This pack holds up to a standard configuration Glock 19. In my case, it carries a Sig P365 most of the time, but will occasionally carry a Glock 19.

I am still working out the best zipper position for the gun compartment and draw technique. If the side zipper is too far down, it will drop down on its own If it is too far around the corner, opening the gun compartment is significantly slower.

The inside of the gun compartment includes central vertical "loop" portions of hook and loop fasteners (Velcro). Ideally I would like ot mount a holster which would retain the gun if the side zipper drops all the way down, but which does not add significantly to the total time required to draw the gun.

I am aware of the Kydex trigger guard cover for a Glock which attaches to a cord attachment inside the pack, and which is sold by Hill People Gear. While it may be worth considering, it does not work for the P365, and may not accomplish what I am trying to accomplish.

Any suggestions?
    Any particular reason you went with the HPG this time rather than getting another Tommy’s? Just asking because I am trying to decide between the two.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by 4given View Post
    Any particular reason you went with the HPG this time rather than getting another Tommy’s? Just asking because I am trying to decide between the two.
    My understanding is that Tommy's Gun Pack is no longer made, but it is possible I am incorrect. Are you aware of anyone currently making these packs?

The HPG packs have multiple happy users on this forum, and seemed to be a very well set up pack, so I decided to give it a try. My only complaint at this point is the difficulty in keeping the gun compartment's size zipper in a location that both stays up and facilitates rapidly opening the pack. Otherwise I am very happy with it, recognizing that all fanny packs are something of a compromise.

Quote Originally Posted by BillSWPA View Post
    My understanding is that Tommy's Gun Pack is no longer made, but it is possible I am incorrect. Are you aware of anyone currently making these packs?

The HPG packs have multiple happy users on this forum, and seemed to be a very well set up pack, so I decided to give it a try. My only complaint at this point is the difficulty in keeping the gun compartment's size zipper in a location that both stays up and facilitates rapidly opening the pack. Otherwise I am very happy with it, recognizing that all fanny packs are something of a compromise.
    They have brand new ones on eBay. https://www.ebay.com/itm/274873693593

The zipper issues are the only thing putting me off on the HPG right now

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by 4given View Post
    They have brand new ones on eBay. https://www.ebay.com/itm/274873693593

The zipper issues are the only thing putting me off on the HPG right now
    I did not realize that. I wonder if the seller is the original seller or somehow connected to the original seller?

User Tag List