Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Seeking holster suggestions for Hill People Gear fanny pack

Site Supporter
    I have the snubby size, and would not want a bigger pack. I use it for exercise, so it only needs to hold a gun, wallet, keys, phone, and possibly light and/or spare magazine. The small can hold all of the above. I try to keep the size close to that of a conventional fanny pack so people are less likely to wonder about the pack.

The IFAk, however, would be a good idea.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Any legal information I may post is general information, and is not legal advice. Such information may or may not apply to your specific situation. I am not your attorney unless an attorney-client relationship is separately and privately established.

The HPG packs are specifically designed to work with trigger guard kydex. They (and I) recommend the “zaccheus” by Dale Fricke.

That’s the way to go. You can get one each for both the 365 and the G19 for under 50 bucks.

https://dalefrickeholsters.com/produ...lment-holster/

You’re welcome.

(I run, bike, and hike with HPG gear, and have kydex trigger guards for an embarrassing assortment of handguns, FWIW)
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

I use an Osprey Savu hip pack. See posts 71 and 73 in this thread:

https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....-Cycling/page4

Another vote on being very happy with the Snubby Pack, bigger would be the wrong direction for me... actually would prefer a bit smaller personally. I rarely use what space is available and have carried P30SK plus two 10 rd spares, wallet, keys, blade, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Totem Polar View Post
    The HPG packs are specifically designed to work with trigger guard kydex. They (and I) recommend the “zaccheus” by Dale Fricke.

That’s the way to go. You can get one each for both the 365 and the G19 for under 50 bucks.

https://dalefrickeholsters.com/produ...lment-holster/

You’re welcome.

(I run, bike, and hike with HPG gear, and have kydex trigger guards for an embarrassing assortment of handguns, FWIW)
    This.

I have the full size (both runners and original 2.0) and I don’t use a holster in either. The gun compartment only holds the gun. I’ve carried glocks and s&w in both and run with the runners kit bag. But I can see if your running a smaller gun where a holster would be nice just to keep the gun in the same position. In that case I would go with a kydex velcro backed holster.
    Instagram: sometimesishootCs

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Grouse870 View Post
    I have the full size (both runners and original 2.0) and I don’t use a holster in either. The gun compartment only holds the gun. I’ve carried glocks and s&w in both and run with the runners kit bag. But I can see if your running a smaller gun where a holster would be nice just to keep the gun in the same position. In that case I would go with a kydex velcro backed holster.
    I am currently also using my pack without a holster. My concerns:

1) If I keep the size zipper below the top corner, it can (and has) slide all the way down, potentially allowing the gun to fall out. If I bring the side zipper around the top corner, the pack stays securely closed, but is much slower to open.

2) If I spot trouble coming, I would like to be able to at least partially open the gun compartment without risk of losing the gun. The bike theft thread in general discussion comes to mind.

A holster such as the JM Custom Kydex Enigma with the Velcro "hook" portion glued to the left side, as suggested above, would hopefully solve both problems. If the side zipper accidentally drops to the bottom, the gun is still retained and reasonably well concealed. If I spot trouble coming, that zipper may be fully opened intentionally, and the gun remains retained and reasonably well concealed.

I've been using mine for years without holster, P30SK w/ V3 DA/SA and the associated 12-14 lb double action pull. No problems to speak of, haven't shot myself or others yet but looking at ordering Fricke kydex just to be safe. Thinking I'll add my new TLR-7A to it with the holster covering the light to prevent ND of the pistol and light. Bonus is it likely makes it harder for the pistol to slide out accidentally if the zipper goes down by accident.

To be clear, the kydex is really for SFAs. I've run all over serious bear country with my HPG runner and either a 5" 1911 or medium/large frame .357/.44 and not cared. That said, I'm personally not cool with a more compact SFA bouncing around in there without the zaccheus. JMO.
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

Quote Originally Posted by Totem Polar View Post
    To be clear, the kydex is really for SFAs. I've run all over serious bear country with my HPG runner and either a 5" 1911 or medium/large frame .357/.44 and not cared. That said, I'm personally not cool with a more compact SFA bouncing around in there without the zaccheus. JMO.
    But, but.... it's a SAFE ACTION pistol? It's got the word safe built into the action, there's no possible way these things can be unsafe to the user...

User Tag List