Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Has Anyone Else Gone Full Revolver?

I sort of went the other direction. For years and years, I have been perfectly happy with old-school round tech to defend hearth and home. What’s changed recently is #1, more mountain biking, and #2, a friend that chose a G42 as her main first-gun squeeze, who also needs more coaching.

G42s are all at once fun, reliable, very light weight, and dirt cheap. So, I’ve been shooting more G42 of late, because, reasons.

Otherwise, it would be a 640pro in my HPG chest rig when on the trails, no problem. As is, I guess I’ve temporarily gone over to the dark, dank, and polymer-laden side.

I’m sure I’ll be back: wheelies rule. And that goes double for old men, in low-speed lifestyles, who just want to be left alone.
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Totem Polar View Post
    I sort of went the other direction. For years and years, I have been perfectly happy with old-school round tech to defend hearth and home. What’s changed recently is #1, more mountain biking, and #2, a friend that chose a G42 as her main first-gun squeeze, who also needs more coaching.

G42s are all at once fun, reliable, very light weight, and dirt cheap. So, I’ve been shooting more G42 of late, because, reasons.

Otherwise, it would be a 640pro in my HPG chest rig when on the trails, no problem. As is, I guess I’ve temporarily gone over to the dark, dank, and polymer-laden side.

I’m sure I’ll be back: wheelies rule. And that goes double for old men, in low-speed lifestyles, who just want to be left alone.

I like the G42 but it does not like me. A G42x would be cool but it too wouldn’t work for me.

The wheel gun still has a place, and the right one could be my almost everything gun.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeke38 View Post
    I do find it frustrating that holsters specifically made for the Colt KC 3" are hard to come by. I'm carrying mine in an NOS DeSantis Safety Scabbard OWB for a SP 101 3" and IWB are up to a six month wait for those who are willing to build such a rig. I don't like Kydex for IWB, there is no give to it and it is irratating for me to wear for long periods of time (4 hrs or more).
    My KC 3-inch rides in a Simply Rugged holster. I've had it a couple years, but best recollection is that it took two weeks or less to arrive. I'm pretty happy with it, conceals nicely and comfortable to wear all day. Can be set up for OWB or IWB, although I've only tested the latter for short intervals, the cool coastal climate here facilitates cover garments.

As for the original question: I've been transitioning more and more to revolvers for several years, and it's probably 80-90% revolvers now. At first it was a J-frame in office NPE's, now it's just because I enjoy revolvers.

Quote Originally Posted by 03RN View Post
    How hard is it to get 1200fps from a 220gr bullet in a 10mm gp100?

That seems to be about top end but barely on the bottom rung of large bore cartridges but if it's easy peasy it might be ok.

I'm still lusting for a mountain gun though.
    I think 1100 is doable, but 1200 is probably pushing it. I could get pretty close to 1200 with a 200 grain bullet out of a Glock 20. Never tried 220s.
    I was into 10mm Auto before it sold out and went mainstream, but these days I'm here for the revolver and epidemiology information.

I've decided on carrying a second revolver rather than carrying speed-loaders; easier to conceal and less to fumble around with. I figure that choosing a revolver is choosing limited capacity anyway, and a revolver reload under duress is not something I'm likely to accomplish. I do usually have a speed strip along, however, just in case I need to top off the gun or the gun gets dunked in water and I need to switch to dry ammo.

Airlite 547

Quote Originally Posted by Velo Dog View Post
    Great 547 article!!!
    Ill take one original 3" round butt, and one In the Airlite style lol..wouldn't A Scandium Titanium 547 be just the ticket? Or a 340 with the 547 extraction setup..Maaan if I were King...

Site Supporter
    I began shooting handguns at age 12 in about 1982 or 1983. At that time, I was unable to complete firing a single magazine from any of the small number of semiautos I tried without at least one failure to feed, and usually more than one.

As a result of:

1. The above experience,

2. Having been taught by a father who believed in 5-6 for sure rather than 15 maybe, and

3. Reading Bill Jordan's No Second Place Winner further confirmed my opinion that revolvers were the preferred tool,

I was 100% revolver for my first year and a half of carrying concealed.

I never fully trusted semiautos until my desire to shoot inexpensively during law school caused me to purchase a Browning Buck Mark, which proved to be highly reliable. This experience, combined with extreme frustration with the sights of my Colt Detective Special, led me to purchase a Glock 26.

I have not carried a revolver in well over a decade at this point, but still se important places for them. Specifically:

1. I know individuals with hand or wrist conditions that limit recoil tolerance. Two such females have told me that the way a revolver recoils is more comfortable for them.

2. Working with various new shooters of varying levels of commitment has taught me to worry less about what people choose to carry, and to worry more about whether they actually carry it.

3. Behindblueis has posted that almost all of the accidental discharges he has investigated involved semiautos.

4. One close relative has told me that semiautos are too complicated, and that this person has no interest in learning how to use one.

5. Training with a .22 DA revolver has worked wonders for my trigger control. I am starting to work DA revolver shooting into working with inexperienced shooters with trigger squeeze issues and with sufficient hand strength for the DA trigger.

6. Some highly skilled shooters prefer them.

7. Some choices can be made just because we like that choice.

Site Supporter
    Younger shooters may not know that as recently as 35 years ago semi auto's had a poor reputation for reliability. Whether or not this perception was accurate is debatable. My experience is that it is accurate. Of course, I refer to stock guns, not custom. I witnessed frequent pistol failures at a large range used for qualifying federal and state officers. My opinion is that poor quality control was the main reason. User error and hollow point bullet design contributed. Oddly, in my youth I shot many military surplus pistols. None failed to operate reliably. The two action types in some folks's view are either/or choices as if they were mutually exclusive. This view denies or ignores that each type is useful. I would not select a full size revolver for routine carry but once would have. I do have a J frame or LCR in my pants at home. If I'm lazy, I might leave the house with either.

Site Supporter
    As a teenager reading gun magazines in the early 1980’s, I noticed that every single text report discussing a semiauto included a small number of malfunctions per 100 rounds. The first test I ever read stating that there were no malfunction of any kind discussed the Ruger P85 in 1985.

The 1980’s was also the time when police departments were gradually switching from revolvers to semiautos. At that time, not all departments were quick to switch. Reliability was one factor causing some to stay with revolvers.

The perception of semiauto unreliability was accurate 35 years ago.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Any legal information I may post is general information, and is not legal advice. Such information may or may not apply to your specific situation. I am not your attorney unless an attorney-client relationship is separately and privately established.

User Tag List