Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011 LastLast

Thread: Has Anyone Else Gone Full Revolver?

And I checked my Excel spreadsheet. 81 revolvers now.

That's only half as many as DB had in his S&W collection.

I’ve always been “full revolver” and see no need to switch.

Speaking strictly about carry guns, as a civilian with no “duty to pursue”, I think I’m far more likely to have to deal with a threat at extreme close range, which is where the snub revolver shines.

Engaging multiple threats at distance makes for fun & challenging action pistol stages and entertaining TV, but I just don’t think it’s real world. If I was forced to frequent areas where that was more than than an extremely remote possibility, I might switch to an auto. But there’d still be a J-frame BUG in my pocket.

IIRC from the Revolver Roundup a couple years back, Dagga cited a stat that less than 2% of civilian defensive shootings required more than 5 rounds.

If a gang comes crashing through the front door, a handgun is best used to fight my way to a long gun or AR pistol.

If it comes to civil unrest and I have to leave the house, I’ll throw the AR pistol in a bag.

I think there’s merit to the argument that current S&W quality is too poor to be relied on for carry. But are you really going to stake your life on any gun you haven’t thoroughly vetted? Besides, I seldom buy new guns.

But at the end of the day, I just love revolvers, and life’s to short to fool with guns I don’t particularly enjoy.

I built a couple of ARs. When done I was like “Yeah, building was fun. Working up accurate loads was fun. Now what?”

I enjoy shooting most anything, but revolvers & O/U shotguns are my favs by far.

Quote Originally Posted by Borderland View Post
    I don't have any personal knowledge of which Gov't agencies carried those, just read that someplace. I doubt any are still in service as most were sold surplus a long time ago. I bought all I wanted, I know that.

I've carried a J frame in the past. I only discovered 9mm compacts about 8 years ago and now have as many of those as revolvers. Got a few HK's also.
    NCIS issues DAK P229Rs as general issue but has DAK P239s for agents who request one. Some do. Both in .40 SW. And they have a liberal POW policy. They should be jumping on the Border Patrol Glock contract soon though.

Quote Originally Posted by SeriousStudent View Post
    And I checked my Excel spreadsheet. 81 revolvers now.

That's only half as many as DB had in his S&W collection.

My heros!

Peter Eick had a pretty impressive revolver accumulation, he had a lot of older N frame 38s and 357s I think. I dont recall if he ever joined or posted here, he may have. He used to post on THR years ago.

Edit:https://www.thehighroad.org/index.ph...easure.784386/
    Last edited by Malamute; 04-23-2022 at 06:39 PM.
    “Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat.”
    ― Theodore Roosevelt

Yeah my splits are not Uber fast but I am shooting my 147gr hsts at 1200fps from a 3" barrel.

^^^ I believe accuracy is priority of split speed in practical application, though I wouldnt complain about the speed. I dont think youre going to outrun your brain and assessment ability.
    “Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat.”
    ― Theodore Roosevelt

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Borderland View Post
    I don't have any personal knowledge of which Gov't agencies carried those, just read that someplace. I doubt any are still in service as most were sold surplus a long time ago. I bought all I wanted, I know that.

I've carried a J frame in the past. I only discovered 9mm compacts about 8 years ago and now have as many of those as revolvers. Got a few HK's also.
    The last federal LE guns sold off as surplus were the US Postal Inspectors Ruger Speed Sixes in the early 1990s. After that Bubba Clinton issued an EO, later codified into a federal regulation that excess federal LE firearms can only be given to another government entity or destroyed.

Fun fact: ICE had Government issued J frame revolvers in service through 2019.

Has Anyone Else Gone Full Revolver?

Quote Originally Posted by 03RN View Post
    Why have large bore magnums at all?
    If that’s what you want, great.

When you get tired of the noise & recoil from shooting full-house loads from a 4” Smith N-frame (assuming the gun is still serviceable), try slowing those fat cast bullets to about 900-1,000 fps. You’ll notice it’s a lot easier to shoot, and the deer drop just as fast. If you’re running expanding bullets, then you need the speed.

I’ve shot & carried enough .44 magnums and taken enough whitetails to have an informed opinion. These included Ruger SBHs, a Redhawk, and a Dan Wesson 44VH. Except for one SBH, these were all accurate, durable guns.

A .44 WFN of 250 grains or more will fly through a whitetail like he’s made of tissue paper, whether it’s launched at 900 or 1,200 FPS.

The 10mm is no .41 or .44 magnum, and I don’t suggest trying to make it into one, especially on a medium frame revolver.

There is actually a 10mm magnum cartridge. Gunsmith Dave Clements can convert a Ruger Blackhawk or SRH. Last I heard he would not do the conversion on the GP100 because it would “shoot itself apart.”

What I found with big bore magnums is that a revolver actually designed around the cartridge (which the Smith N frame was not) is too big & heavy for casual woods carry. Great for a dedicated hunting revolver, but I’d just as soon use a rifle for that.

I tried a 24-3 with “Skeeter loads” pushing a 250 grain lead bullet about 900-950 FPS. It started exhibiting excessive endshake at about 1,000 rounds. It’s been in for remediation twice. At 3,000 rounds, it has .011 endshake (shimmed up, .011 is the B/C gap.) and is retired. That’s left me with ZERO interest in N-frame magnums.
    Last edited by jtcarm; 04-23-2022 at 09:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jtcarm View Post
    If that’s what you want, great.

When you get tired of the noise & recoil from shooting full-house loads from a 4” Smith N-frame (assuming the gun is still serviceable), try slowing those fat cast bullets to about 900-1,000 fps. You’ll notice it’s a lot easier to shoot, and the deer drop just as fast. If you’re running expanding bullets, then you need the speed.

I’ve shot & carried enough .44 magnums and taken enough whitetails to have an informed opinion. These included Ruger SBHs, a Redhawk, and a Dan Wesson 44VH. Except for one SBH, these were all accurate, durable guns.

A .44 WFN of 250 grains or more will fly through a whitetail like he’s made of tissue paper, whether it’s launched at 900 or 1,200 FPS.

The 10mm is no .41 or .44 magnum, and I don’t suggest trying to make it into one, especially on a medium frame revolver.

There is actually a 10mm magnum cartridge. Gunsmith Dave Clements can convert a Ruger Blackhawk or SRH. Last I heard he would not do the conversion on the GP100 because it would “shoot itself apart.”

What I found with big bore magnums is that a revolver actually designed around the cartridge (which the Smith N frame was not) is too big & heavy for casual woods carry. Great for a dedicated hunting revolver, but I’d just as soon use a rifle for that.

I tried a 24-3 with “Skeeter loads” pushing a 250 grain lead bullet about 900-950 FPS. It started exhibiting excessive endshake at about 1,000. It’s been in for remediation twice. At 3,000 rounds, it has .011 endshake (shimmed up, .011 is the B/C gap.) and is retired. That’s left me with ZERO interest in N-frame magnums.
    My questioning the 10mm was more hypothetical. Looking at it as a mountain gun understudy a d curious about how close it can get to magnum status as a .4 as apposed to my .357s that I don't plan on replacing anytime soon.

Surprisingly enough I've shot several dozen whitetails, up over 200lbs, culling on a nursery in Rhode island. My favorite guns to use were my .45 Blackhawk, redhawk, and 16" M92. A 255gr swc at 900fps will indeed break both shoulders. But not the shoulder and rear hip on 200lbs deer. It will at 1200fps. At 1700fps it's pretty impressive.

I am however okay with 255gr .45s going around 1k. If I was seriously hunting with a 10mm I'd want the bullet as fast and as heavy as I could get. A 200 @ 900-1000 is a service round and I have no doubts it would kill well with a well placed shot I would want more for the less than perfect shots. I'm carrying a 200gr swc @950fps as we speak so I do think it will do nearly everything well.

Quote Originally Posted by 03RN View Post
    My questioning the 10mm was more hypothetical. Looking at it as a mountain gun understudy a d curious about how close it can get to magnum status as a .4 as apposed to my .357s that I don't plan on replacing anytime soon.

Surprisingly enough I've shot several dozen whitetails, up over 200lbs, culling on a nursery in Rhode island. My favorite guns to use were my .45 Blackhawk, redhawk, and 16" M92. A 255gr swc at 900fps will indeed break both shoulders. But not the shoulder and rear hip on 200lbs deer. It will at 1200fps. At 1700fps it's pretty impressive.

I am however okay with 255gr .45s going around 1k. If I was seriously hunting with a 10mm I'd want the bullet as fast and as heavy as I could get. A 200 @ 900-1000 is a service round and I have no doubts it would kill well with a well placed shot I would want more for the less than perfect shots. I'm carrying a 200gr swc @950fps as we speak so I do think it will do nearly everything well.
    I think of the 10mm as more in the class of .44 Special, .41 Special, mid-range .44 Mag loadings. Something effective enough for everyday carry that doesn’t beat up gun or shooter over the years. My 3” 10mm GP100 gets carried more often than my 4” .44 Mountain Gun because it is just a neater little package and we don’t have grizzly bears.

User Tag List