Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Has Anyone Else Gone Full Revolver?

Always between two major rivers that begin with the letter "M."
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave T View Post
    I've gotten over the mind-set I had for many years of needing to be ready to defend any and every victim. I'm old and cranky, pretty busted up and just want to be left alone. My carry gun, a 386 Night Guard, is more of a "get off me" or "get away from my wife" than a "I'll save the day" gun.
    You are pretty much describing me. What amazes me is the number of people nowdays who don't - or won't - get that "just want to be left alone" part. Some days I feel like I need to deliver a slightly more conciliatory and updated version of "J.B. Books' dicta" (from Glendon Swarthout's "The Shootist") right to some doof's face, but haven't done so. Yet.

I suppose I will automatically try to do what absolutely HAS to be done if and when it comes to that, but "defend any and every victim" stopped being a thing with me long ago. I've seen too many situations - none involving the discharge of a firearm, thankfully - where noble intentions got the stuffing taken out of the noble intender.
    gn

"On the internet, nobody knows if you are a dog... or even a cat."

Quote Originally Posted by gato naranja View Post
    I was fairly adept with the things; to this day I think I could handle most trouble I am likely to encounter on my normal routine with a pair of Colt's Patent Revolving Belt Pistols.
    Touch off one in each hand! (Then sneak away under the resultant smoke screen)

There are places where I’d feel quite happy shambling thru life with a SA revolver. There are SA oriented forums where guys claim to do just that. But then there are cities I occasionally find myself in wishing I had body armor and a carbine nearby instead of just a G19 and a couple of mags.

If I’m in my natural environment around my home state I’m wearing a revolver big enough to manipulate with sights I can see and a speedloader/moonclip or two or I’m carrying a 1911. Traveling, it’s my G19 because it’s a “normal” gun in this day and age and not a hardship if it ends up as evidence.

Put me firmly at 50% revolver, 30% 1911 and 20% Glock. Until I change my mind again.

Quote Originally Posted by gato naranja View Post
    You are pretty much describing me. (Edited) I've seen too many situations - none involving the discharge of a firearm, thankfully - where noble intentions got the stuffing taken out of the noble intender.
    I’ve seen too many victims at domestic calls turn on the LEO’s, and tried to sort out way too many convoluted relationships in neighborhoods to even begin to hazard a guess as to WTF? much less pull a gun over something that doesn’t directly endanger me or mine. I have become a tourist in life and am not above unassing an area for greener pastures.

Site Supporter
    Oh yeah, unassing the AO is my go-to option.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick R View Post
    I’ve seen too many victims at domestic calls turn on the LEO’s, and tried to sort out way too many convoluted relationships in neighborhoods to even begin to hazard a guess as to WTF? much less pull a gun over something that doesn’t directly endanger me or mine. I have become a tourist in life and am not above unassing an area for greener pastures.
    That’s smart. The last one I got involved with because of the screaming I managed from about 40 yards with a command voice and clear words and gestures that this was a 911 thing. No heroics. Dude drove away. Female vanished. No way to know how it all worked out. If he started stabbing her . . . I don’t want to speculate

But for the OP topic there was an ankle carried Model 36
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

One I got involved in years ago taught me a valuable lesson...

Walking down the street with two women from my office when we see a guy beating on a woman and then hitting her with a belt. I ran up and yelled at him if he wanted to fight someone...to fight me. (Stupid, I know.)

Grabbed him and subdued him after which the woman yelled at me to leave him alone, that it "was a boyfriend-girlfriend thing".

I turned, said "you guys deserve one another" and we left.

At least neither I nor "Charlie's Angels" as they later named themselves got hurt.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Quote Originally Posted by Borderland View Post
    Personally i won't give up my P-239's for SD. I have lots of revolvers, and some J frames, but it makes no sense to me to carry less then nine with a quick mag change. Standard issue for ICE and NCIS. Cheap on the used market because it isn't latest sticker polymer. Just saw one go on GB for $500.

I shoot them about once a month and I get acceptable groups at 15 yards off hand. That's the ticket for SD. Cheap 9mm ammo and plenty of practice.
    Slight off topic nit to pick: for ICE the previous standard issue handgun was a .40 Sig P229 DAK. The agency issued out a much smaller number of P239s, I think mostly for supervisors who wanted smaller guns. The .40 P239 was an approved personally owned weapon as well. I can’t say for sure about NCIS, but I’d be surprised if the P239 was their standard issue handgun. I know they had a very liberal personally owned weapon policy.

On topic: I don’t care much what other people are carrying. I do like that they’re carrying. If you’re much more likely to carry a revolver than a semiautomatic, rock on with your revolver. If you can’t effectively run a semiautomatic due to issues such as arthritis but can run a wheel gun, rock on with your revolver. I think there are a ton things more likely to matter in whether or not you get killed in the streets than which gun you’re carrying.
    My posts only represent my personal opinion and do not necessarily reflect the opinions or official policies of any employer, past or present. Obvious spelling errors are likely the result of an iPhone keyboard.

Always between two major rivers that begin with the letter "M."
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick R View Post
    I have become a tourist in life and am not above unassing an area for greener pastures.
    Well said.
    gn

"On the internet, nobody knows if you are a dog... or even a cat."

Quote Originally Posted by WobblyPossum View Post
    Slight off topic nit to pick: for ICE the previous standard issue handgun was a .40 Sig P229 DAK. The agency issued out a much smaller number of P239s, I think mostly for supervisors who wanted smaller guns. The .40 P239 was an approved personally owned weapon as well. I can’t say for sure about NCIS, but I’d be surprised if the P239 was their standard issue handgun. I know they had a very liberal personally owned weapon policy.

On topic: I don’t care much what other people are carrying. I do like that they’re carrying. If you’re much more likely to carry a revolver than a semiautomatic, rock on with your revolver. If you can’t effectively run a semiautomatic due to issues such as arthritis but can run a wheel gun, rock on with your revolver. I think there are a ton things more likely to matter in whether or not you get killed in the streets than which gun you’re carrying.

I don't have any personal knowledge of which Gov't agencies carried those, just read that someplace. I doubt any are still in service as most were sold surplus a long time ago. I bought all I wanted, I know that.

I've carried a J frame in the past. I only discovered 9mm compacts about 8 years ago and now have as many of those as revolvers. Got a few HK's also.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

Quote Originally Posted by beenalongtime View Post
    This thread needs Dagga Boy.
    Pretty funny you say that.

I was at his house last night drinking Old-Fashioneds, smoking cigars and talking about wheelguns with him and a friend/LEO,

Each one of us was sitting on the patio with a revolver in a pocket or carried AIWB. But the "carry guns" amongst the three of us were a Boresight Solutions RDS-equipped Sig 365, an RDS-equipped Staccato, and a Langdon 92X Compact.

But the two pistols we spent the most time testing triggers and discussing?

A pre-war 38/44 Heavy Duty,

Name:  HD 38 Pic 2 cropped.jpg
Views: 296
Size:  100.1 KB

Name:  HD pic 2 - cropped.jpg
Views: 300
Size:  100.8 KB
    \
    DB provided the stocks. They are a perfect fit for this misfit of a big N-frame fighting gun. I saw this pistol and had to have it. I can just imagine an old school Army Master Sergeant filling an Italian cemetery full of Waffen SS troopers with this ugly but beautiful heirloom.

And a 3" Model 10 that was formerly owned by an FBI agent.

Name:  Modeel 10 3 inch FBI pic 2 cropped.jpg
Views: 297
Size:  100.2 KB

Name:  Model 10 3 inch FBI - cropped.jpg
Views: 291
Size:  100.6 KB

John Powers did the refinish. It's a WWII zinc phosphate Parkerizing job. I had the Safariland stocks, and it seemed like a natural match for an old FBI gun. It will shoot a cylinder of 158-grain LSWC rounds into a ragged hole at 5 yards. It's going to my granddaughter when she graduates from the Texas Game Warden Academy.

If I could only have a single revolver for the rest of my life, this is it.

Greg Ellifritz was not present physically, but was there in spirit(s).

https://shoptreatyoak.com/old-fashioned-cocktail-750ml/

Greg gave me a bottle of this at Tac-Con, and I thought of no better place to share it. It's legit! Many thanks to Mr Ellifritz!

TL/DR answer to the OP's question: Nope, I have not gone full revolver. But they fill a warm spot in my soul that no other weapon does.

User Tag List