Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Has Anyone Else Gone Full Revolver?

Has Anyone Else Gone Full Revolver?

5 years ago, I had over 30 pistols. Most of them were semiautomatics, with maybe one J frame. There were other small revolvers that came and went, but were never really carried. Now I have several revolvers that are carried 98% of the time. My current carry is a 642 and a Colt King Cobra Carry. I usually don’t carry a speedloader, but a speed strip is often on my belt. I carry larger revolvers in a shoulder holster when the weather is cool, but that will be ending in a few weeks. My massive semiauto collection is now down to a Glock 19, a Ruger 1911 (I had nearly 10 1911’s at one point), a Sig P938, and a couple of P365’s. At this point in my life, I just like revolvers. Has anyone else made the switch?

I like revolvers, even take classes with them when they occasionally pop up, but can't logically make the the switch

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

I haven’t totally gone full revolver, but I am carrying one more and more. I still like beretta 92’s and 1911’s. I actually find that I shoot a double action better than single action for some reason.

If my Smith & Wesson 19 comes back good to go, it will probably be my primary carry until it’s too hot to conceal comfortably. Then I will switch to my Taurus 856 or a J frame.

I live in the country by a really small town so most of the time I carry a revolver around the place and into town.

This forum hasn’t helped me by any means because it keeps costing me more money. Haha.

Quote Originally Posted by defilade View Post
    I actually find that I shoot a double action better than single action for some reason.

If my Smith & Wesson 19 comes back good to go, it will probably be my primary carry until it’s too hot to conceal comfortably. Then I will switch to my Taurus 856 or a J frame.

I live in the country by a really small town so most of the time I carry a revolver around the place and into town.
    I’ve only had the Colt Python for two weeks, but I’m shooting it better at 15-25 yards in DA better than I have with my other revolvers. I read someone’s review, and the author said the window between the Python’s DA and SA pull weights is very narrow, so that might be why he was shooting better in DA. My Python’s SA trigger pull is 5.5 lbs, and the DA is only 3 lbs heavier.

My wife shoots nearly as much as I do, and she likes revolvers because she doesn’t have to load magazines. She carries a Glock 19, but spends 90% of her range time shooting revolvers.

We live in the suburbs, and not much happens here. The Glock I kept is in the extremely rare event I go to Filthadelphia.

Essentially yes.

I own a significant number of Glock 19 pistols. For over a decade that is what I used for urban/suburban carry, supplemented by a J frame, and complimented by a serious of problematic Glock 20s for woods carry.

I ditched the Glock 20 in favor of a GP100, which has led to me carrying a Smith 640 Pro in town and sometimes on front country hikes, and buying a Marlin 1894c.

This system is working really well for me. I realized the other day not a single Glock 19 has left the house for anything other than a range trip in 16 months.
    Last edited by Lester Polfus; 04-20-2022 at 11:35 PM.
    I was into 10mm Auto before it sold out and went mainstream, but these days I'm here for the revolver and epidemiology information.

Short answer: Yes. See the P-F discussions of “Snubby Lifestyle.”

The longer answer is much more complex, and it is not all snubbies, in my case.

Revolvers fit more comfortably, against my body, inside my trousers. The places where I carry revolvers are not flat. Outside the belt, revolvers with a bit of barrel length have a nicer balance, that enables them to “hang” with more comfort, than an autoloader that has a short ton of ammo stored in the grip area, resulting in weight that is centered above the belt.

Revolvers are better pocket guns, for several practical and tactical reasons.

Long-stroke DA is a less-perishable skill, for me, than the Glock trigger stroke. The only auto-pistol that has held on, is a Seecamp LWS-32, for pocket carry, but it has only been occasional, lately, not an every-day gun. The Seecamp’s long-stroke DA trigger pull is the factor that has kept it in the line-up.

The panic-demic ammo situation was a factor, as I need comparatively more actual live-fire practice, with Glocks, to maintain what I feel is acceptable proficiency. Over the years, I have FAR more trigger time, and trigger pull reps, with revolvers, and 1911 pistols, than Glocks.

COVID, itself, was a factor. My wife’s health factors put her at much higher risk. The imperative to avoid much contact with other folks meant that I did not want to go to shooting ranges, or spend much time around people, indoors, especially that segment of the population that did not like wearing masks. (Interestingly, I did catch some kind of nasty two-day virus, when I went for an LEOSA retiree qual, at the police range, though I tested negative for COVID.)

Revolvers are more ambidextrously-oriented, than some autos, and my left thumb, hand, wrist, and shoulder are not aging as well as the corresponding parts on my left side. Only one of my 1911 pistols has an ambidextrous thumb safety, and that particular thumb safety’s “gas pedal” is, itself, an ill fit, for me, so, it has not become a carry gun.

A more-fully-tailored cover garment is necessary, to truly conceal the wider, blockier, more-rearward-protruding slide of a Glock, than comparatively concealment-friendly profile of several of my revolver models, especially those with spurless hammers. A 1911 is slimmer than a Glock, and has a less-protruding, less-blocky slide, but beavertail grip safeties, and cocked hammers, are not low-profile.

Autos are not useless. I recently bought back* into the “Baby Glock” concept, to be the best “speed loader” for revolvers, in the event that things have gone horribly wrong, especially at close range, where the ability to quickly throw lead and copper might well trump the better accuracy potential of the slower-to-reload revolving pistol. Speed loaders take up some serious room, at belt level, so, a Baby Glock might be a better option than a pair of speed loaders, in a belt carrier. I still need to vet these Baby Glocks, but do not anticipate any problems. (Yes, more than one Baby Glock; I tend to acquire guns in twos and threes. The first G26 that I could find, for sale, new, was a Gen3. I then dded a pre-owned Gen4, later, as Gen4, with no added back straps, fits my hand a bit better. i may well addd a Gen5, “just because.” )

*I had sold my G26 to a younger colleague, one of my former rookies, shortly before I retired from LEO-ing. Compact Glocks, including the G19, had started vexing the arthritis in my right thumb, hand, and wrist, so, I had thinned the herd, only keeping “orthopedic” Glocks, with full-length grips. I do not anticipate shooting my “new” Baby Glocks right-handed, much.)
    Retar’d LE. Kinesthetic dufus.

Don’t tread on volcanos!

I wouldn’t categorize myself as just Revolvers, I am squarely in the DA trigger pull camp though. Have a few polymer framed semi autos just because but never use them. Two DA Sigs and three Revolvers cover anything I need.

A GP100 Wiley Clapp or 586 L Comp could be a one gun for me solution, though I’d really struggle giving up my P239.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Far Upper Midwest. Lower Midwest When I Absolutely Have To
    I haven’t dumped autos, but find myself pretty much carrying revolvers for personal defense. Like mentioned above, they seem to fit my 24-pack better when carrying, balance better, and are overall more versatile. If I want to stuff field loads into a carry revolver, I swing open the cylinder and swap them out. Call me a trained monkey, but if I want to swap out the ammo in my HK, I’m searching for a bucket of sand or at least a solid corner of a wall. Maybe unnecessary, but that’s what’s ingrained in me. I’m not sure if it’s because of what I originally learned on (Dan Wesson 15-2) or simply my own body mechanics/mental capacity, but I find I can consistently shoot a DA revolver trigger better than any auto trigger. I’ve also found that the more revolver shooting I do, the better my auto pistol shooting (insert trigger type here) is.

Plus...they’re just cool.

I’ve sat down and weighed the risks of running into a band of thugs, zombies, or ravaging wildebeest...and I’m just not there anymore. When I travel on the road, I may carry an extra speed loader or two and likely a long gun (more often that not an 870 or 94 nowadays) and I feel fine about it. Sure, there’s craziness everywhere lately, but for me personally, the ability to comfortably and consistently carry a pistol is what’s important to me and outweighs the whole capacity/split time discussion. My last CCW requal found me on a line with various flashy 1911’s, Glocks with RDS’s and the like. I got some odd looks when people noticed I had my little SP101 in my hands. But...I shot it clean on the first go, packed up my stuff and left. If I do get “kilt in da streets” feel free to remove my little blurb at the end of my posts and insert “Needed more capacity”.
    Last edited by entropy; 04-21-2022 at 08:06 AM.
    Working diligently to enlarge my group size.

Only at home or walking distances from home. 642 time all the time with various Glocks nearby.

Once I drive away from home...the revolver stays home and I carry a G26.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

This thread needs Dagga Boy.

User Tag List