Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Things You Know You Knew...

Quote Originally Posted by Hambo View Post
    This is why you need a Contender.
    I coulda been a contender. I coulda had a V8 too…
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

Quote Originally Posted by entropy View Post
    Those are some healthy crimps.

I have crimp envy now...
    I tend to be Dr Frankenstein with my die sets. I buy several sets and mix and match the dies to get the actual results I'm after from each stage. That particular crimp is from an old-school Hornady Durachrome die set. It had a radiused crimp shoulder, and I've had it for a very long time. If I use a carbide sizing die, it is generally older RCBS or Hornady although a lot of my 38/357 sizing is now handled by an RCBS "Cowboy" sizer that doesn't squeeze the cases down so drastically. I also have a Durachrome steel sizing die that gives the cases an old-timey slight taper from base to mouth. This leaves the base of the cases slightly larger in diameter to help the loaded cartridge to sit more level in the chambers, giving the bullet a straighter run to the throat. The case mouth is already larger in diameter because it has the bullet seated in it.

I do similar strange combinations with most handgun calibers. I've found that the little details actually do add up to better performance.
    Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem
    I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude
    -Thomas Jefferson
    I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery.

Site Supporter
    ...but didn’t know them when you needed to know them.

Like #358429 when loaded in a .357 case is too big to fit in an N-frame cylinder.

Luckily, I had only gone thru a dozen or so before I said “Gee...those look kinda big.” I’ll either set them aside, or shoot them in my Dan Wesson. Followed them up with a test range of #358156GC and H110.

I’m trying to find a nice heavy field load for my M28.

Attachment 87729
    I used 5.5 gr Hercules Unique with this 429 Keith bullet in .38 Spl cases. Pressure is low end magnum. Cast bullets can be too hard. Try adding pure lead to your alloy to reduce hardness. I learned this lesson late in my 53 year casting career which has ended. Flamingo was kind enough to buy my remaining molds. Last week I sold my 2000 lb gold hoard and have sold most of my interesting handguns. Other than a couple double headed "clubs", I don't have much left.

Far Upper Midwest. Lower Midwest When I Absolutely Have To
    Quote Originally Posted by 358156hp View Post
    I tend to be Dr Frankenstein with my die sets. I buy several sets and mix and match the dies to get the actual results I'm after from each stage. That particular crimp is from an old-school Hornady Durachrome die set. It had a radiused crimp shoulder, and I've had it for a very long time. If I use a carbide sizing die, it is generally older RCBS or Hornady although a lot of my 38/357 sizing is now handled by an RCBS "Cowboy" sizer that doesn't squeeze the cases down so drastically. I also have a Durachrome steel sizing die that gives the cases an old-timey slight taper from base to mouth. This leaves the base of the cases slightly larger in diameter to help the loaded cartridge to sit more level in the chambers, giving the bullet a straighter run to the throat. The case mouth is already larger in diameter because it has the bullet seated in it.

I do similar strange combinations with most handgun calibers. I've found that the little details actually do add up to better performance.

I do the same with precision rifle dies. Mix and match. Like you stated above, a certain caliber, bullet and case combo sometimes (OK...usually) favors a certain combination of prep components. I guess I never though about extending that into the handgun world. Point certainly taken. I like how the top edge of the crimping grove is slightly proud of the actual crimp and case neck. Things like that make me smile...lol
    Working diligently to enlarge my group size.

I do the same with precision rifle dies. Mix and match. Like you stated above, a certain caliber, bullet and case combo sometimes (OK...usually) favors a certain combination of prep components. I guess I never though about extending that into the handgun world. Point certainly taken. I like how the top edge of the crimping grove is slightly proud of the actual crimp and case neck. Things like that make me smile...lol
    That was deliberate. I do it purely to make certain the bullet can't move forward in unfired chambers under recoil. For my particular crimping die all that's required is to set the seating depth so that the case mouth is slightly below the front driving band of my cast bullets. The crimping die does the rest. I do seat and crimp revolver bullets in separate stages on my Dillon 550.

Jacketed bullets are generally crimped with a Redding Profile crimp die, but since I cast almost everything myself jacketed handloads are a bit of a rarity around here. I probably have perhaps a half-dozen 38/357 hollowpoint moulds alone, and the bullets shown in the pic were from 1950s era Ideal and Lyman single cavity moulds. It takes more time, but I find it relaxing and absorbing. I now powdercoat all cast bullets. The ones in the pic were from earlier days.
    -Thomas Jefferson

Far Upper Midwest. Lower Midwest When I Absolutely Have To
    Thanks for the reply. A few questions if you don’t mind, in no particular order.

Is there something unique on that Hornady die? They advertise “taper crimp” in their 44spl sets now. (I just checked Grafs site.) I do have Lee crimping dies in both .38/357 and .44, but I’m not getting a crimp nearing what you’ve shown. I wouldn’t mind the extra step. I don’t have my equipment in front of me now, but wondering if I can get better results by using the Lee die(s) and splitting the seating/crimping process into two steps using two separate dies.

I need to look into casting. It’s the next logical step for me. I’ve had my toes dangling off the edge for a while, but have just not taken the dive. I would certainly end up going the powder coat route as well, as it seems there are quite a few positives in the process, and really not many negatives. Do you size them differently when using the powder coat?

Thanks in advance for your input!
    Working diligently to enlarge my group size.

Thanks for the reply. A few questions if you don’t mind, in no particular order.

Is there something unique on that Hornady die? They advertise “taper crimp” in their 44spl sets now. (I just checked Grafs site.) I do have Lee crimping dies in both .38/357 and .44, but I’m not getting a crimp nearing what you’ve shown. I wouldn’t mind the extra step. I don’t have my equipment in front of me now, but wondering if I can get better results by using the Lee die(s) and splitting the seating/crimping process into two steps using two separate dies.

I need to look into casting. It’s the next logical step for me. I’ve had my toes dangling off the edge for a while, but have just not taken the dive. I would certainly end up going the powder coat route as well, as it seems there are quite a few positives in the process, and really not many negatives. Do you size them differently when using the powder coat?

Thanks in advance for your input!
    That crimping die came in my first set of reloading dies, which happened to be Hornady Durachrome. In those days, Hornady was the easiest, and most economical equipment commonly available here in Nebraska. I've always appreciated the old Durachrome dies because of how well they have held up for me over the decades. I do buy the current "New Dimension" dies when necessary, and I especially appreciate their bullet seating die. However when I feel I need something different I will hit up the auction sites and troll for old Hornady or RCBS dies. All manufacturers seemed to be more interested in quality back then, and I especially appreciate the old hardchromed dies from that era.

I was a latecomer to powder coating, I've been doing it for perhaps five to six years now. I've had my best results by sizing bullets about a thousandth or so under throat diameter before powder coating them. I still use fairly hard alloys with PC, I've seen a lot of guys try to figure why their softer cast PC bullets lead their revolver forcing cones. PC or not, leading forcing cones is a good indication that the bullet is probably too soft for the velocity you're getting and may be "riveting" a bit when it hits the forcing cone. I learned this lesson early on as a newbie who didn't know that swaged lead bullets aren't the same as "hard" cast. While I'm on the subject, "hard cast" originally meant that an additional metal, often tin, has been added to pure lead to fortify it and make it harder than base level pure lead. The level of additional hardness is directly related to the type of metal added to create an alloy, and the amount used. Glen Fryxell covers this topic beautifully in his book avaiable online free at http://www.lasc.us/Fryxell_Book_Contents.htm also check out Rick Kelters articles at http://www.lasc.us/CastBulletNotes.htm Both of these Gentlemen have patiently provided me with information that has gotten me this far without too many undue disasters. I like powder coating, it has given me a tool to allow good success with 9mm bullets, plus it smokes far less than conventional lubes, and the people beside me at indoor ranges really appreciate that.
    -Thomas Jefferson

User Tag List