Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Glock Gen 3 and Gen 5 Mags Not Interchanagable?

Glock Gen 3 and Gen 5 Mags Not Interchanagable?

Finally picked up a gen 5 glock. Did not seem to like my Gen 3 range mags. Was getting a weird angle failure to feed on regular occasion. If I get orange glock gen5 followed to retrofit my Gen 3 mags, will it make the mags work 100% in both Gen 3 and Gen 5 guns?

I’m aware of the switching to leftie mag release not being interchangeable but I run regular right hand only.

Quote Originally Posted by Sanch View Post
    Finally picked up a gen 5 glock. Did not seem to like my Gen 3 range mags. Was getting a weird angle failure to feed on regular occasion. If I get orange glock gen5 followed to retrofit my Gen 3 mags, will it make the mags work 100% in both Gen 3 and Gen 5 guns?

I’m aware of the switching to leftie mag release not being interchangeable but I run regular right hand only.
    I have been using Gen 3 and Gen 4 era mags in several Gen 5 for a while now. No issues that I have found using anything from 115gr to 124 gr +P.

I did note early on one of my Gen 5 had some feed issues with low powered 115 gr (Rem UMC) but not higher powered (Speer Lawman) but leaving it locked back for a couple of weeks cured that. The "problem" gun shoots anything now (actually shoots incredibly well with the new brown box Remington 115gr)

I would leave the slide locked back for a couple of weeks/break it in more before I changed based on my limited experience. (Glock 19 in my case)

Quote Originally Posted by Sanch View Post
    Finally picked up a gen 5 glock. Did not seem to like my Gen 3 range mags. Was getting a weird angle failure to feed on regular occasion. If I get orange glock gen5 followed to retrofit my Gen 3 mags, will it make the mags work 100% in both Gen 3 and Gen 5 guns? I’m aware of the switching to leftie mag release not being interchangeable but I run regular right hand only.
    Mags are interchangeable until you swap mag catch. You say "range mags" so I wonder about wear. Check mag lips, mag catch notch, follower, spring, and seam along the back wall for unzipping. Try a different earlier mag. Point of particularity, they'd be mags that came with your gen3 gun, not gen3 mags.

I have range mags from ~1992-present running in gen5 17/19/45, issues arise only as they finally die.
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

My range mags for my Gen5 Glocks are a mix of gen3 and gen4 mags (mags that were purchased with or were the newest version available when buying gen3 or gen4 guns). Mostly gen3 ban mags with the “Restricted for LE/Mil” markings. These live in a bucket and are pulled at random. No issues with these magazines in any of the four Gen5 guns.

If the OP is planning on updating the followers, I’d suggest also putting fresh magazine springs while you’re at it.

Quote Originally Posted by Beat Trash View Post
    My range mags for my Gen5 Glocks are a mix of gen3 and gen4 mags (mags that were purchased with or were the newest version available when buying gen3 or gen4 guns). Mostly gen3 ban mags with the “Restricted for LE/Mil” markings. These live in a bucket and are pulled at random. No issues with these magazines in any of the four Gen5 guns.

If the OP is planning on updating the followers, I’d suggest also putting fresh magazine springs while you’re at it.
    Usually problematic to diagnose without actually seeing the issue, but it could be a mag spring issue. The Gen3 mags would be 15+ years old; “LE” markings go back to 1994. If the mag spring is weaker, it would not get the next round in a good position to feed.
    Mags eventually wear out-springs, lips, maybe followers. My understanding is the more cycles a mag spring gets, the weaker it becomes. New springs probably indicated; newer followers may not work in very old mags.

Site Supporter
    Sounds like weak mag springs. Take a gen 5 mag spring and try it in your gen 3 mag.

I run Gen 3, Gen 4, Gen 5 mags through any of my Gen 2 to Gen 5 g19s without issue

Site Supporter
    Another solution, if possible, is to buy some new mags. Magpul mags are cheap and make great range mags. Unless you just can't avoid it, why spend time trying to rehab 20 year old mags?

Sent from my moto g power (2021) using Tapatalk

My mags are all mixed. I don't differentiate between range and not range. I'm using gen2 - gen5 without issue.

Are your mags Glock or aftermarket?

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

I only have factory glock mags. A mix of LE only AWB ones, and then other unmarked Gen 3 post AWB. I got rid of all of my pre ban mags a while back to people in other states who needed them.

I did think about getting magpul mags, but I have around 50 of these Gen 3 mags and quite frankly, I don’t want to throw them away in favor of magpul. I’m not sold on magpul being 100%. And 50 mags is a big investment.

User Tag List