Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: SIG Wins US Army Next Generation Squad Weapon Contract

Site Supporter

SIG Wins US Army Next Generation Squad Weapon Contract

https://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/...NFCPD9t6_mXA5M

SIG Sauer Wins US Army Next Generation Squad Weapon Contract

oday, it has been announced that SIG Sauer have won the contract to provide both the NGSW-Rifle and NGSW-Automatic Rifle. An initial delivery order contract worth $20.4 million has been awarded. SIG’s MCX 6.8 Spear will be designated the XM5 Rifle and the LMG-6.8 belt-fed will be designated the XM250 – designations directly following on from the M4/M4A1 Carbine and M249 SAW which the new weapons will replace. SIG’s selection means that the US Army’s new 6.8mm round will be based on a hybrid metallic case, not the polymer-based design developed by True Velocity.

We already know which fire control optic will be used with the winner of the program. It was announced in January that Vortex had won the Next Generation Squad Weapons – Fire Control procurement program. Vortex’s optic has been designated the XM157 and will be used with both the NGSW-Rifle and NGSW-Automatic Rifle.

Additional data from Eric ar Soldier Systems, who has some solid context.
    https://soldiersystems.net/2022/04/1...apons-program/

Between the two options many in industry considered SIG a lower risk and the “Easy Button” as the ammunition technology is very straight forward and can be manufactured using existing machinery. Additionally, the weapons will seem quite familiar to service members who currently use the M4 and M249 due to similar controls and ergonomics. Finally, SIG has undertaken several successful military contracts for ammunition, optics, and weapons, including the Modular Handgun System.

We will have see if the award survives the likely appeal from the sore losers.

Dup post.
    Last edited by DrkBlue; 04-19-2022 at 06:35 PM.

This should also drive replacement of the M240, with yet another SIG design (MG 338) a leading contender. I imagine the days of the M110A1 are now also numbered.
    "When the phone rang, Parker was in the garage, killing a man."

Quote Originally Posted by JSGlock34 View Post
    This should also drive replacement of the M240, with yet another SIG design (MG 338) a leading contender. I imagine the days of the M110A1 are now also numbered.
    That one is a different PM under the PEO. That version is in use with USSOCOM so input from them will drive some decisions.

Now we'll have to redesign all the mag pouches and harnesses and retrain the Soldiers for different combat loads. Also going to change all of our work on percentages of what a Soldier carries. Heavier weapon and ammo means less ammo, or water, or batteries, or armor....

Quote Originally Posted by alohadoug View Post
    That one is a different PM under the PEO. That version is in use with USSOCOM so input from them will drive some decisions.
    Sure, I just don't see a future for 7.62mm medium machine-guns and DMRs when the entire platoon is equipped with 6.8mm.
    "When the phone rang, Parker was in the garage, killing a man."

From a purely engineering perspective, I am very interested in the cartridge case design ("Fury"?) for 80kpsi peak pressure ammo. I'm also curious to see what the exact pressure curve looks like, how many times the case might be responsibly reloaded, and what barrel life looks like.
    Per the PF Code of Conduct, I have a commercial interest in the StreakTM product as sold by Ammo, Inc.

Quote Originally Posted by JSGlock34 View Post
    Sure, I just don't see a future for 7.62mm medium machine-guns and DMRs when the entire platoon is equipped with 6.8mm.
    The "theory" is that the new .338 MG will split the difference between the M240B and the M2...and do both roles. And we know how well that works...

Site Supporter
    I’m surprised we saw this under Biden.

Do you think this will progress actively? Perhaps they went for it with the Russia stuff going down and striking while the iron was hot.
    God Bless,

Brandon

Glock Collective Assimile Suvorov's Avatar
    Escapee from the SF Bay Area now living on the Front Range of Colorado.
    The XM-5 looks a lot like my 516. Is it a derivative?

User Tag List