Page 9 of 14 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: SIG Wins US Army Next Generation Squad Weapon Contract

SIG Wins US Army Next Generation Squad Weapon Contract

Quote Originally Posted by JRB View Post
    The contract already includes different ammo: "Including new varieties of 6.8mm will include blank, inert training rounds and a reduced range variant."

I'm fairly certain the 'reduced range variant' will be a lead free training round that will not damage steel targets, and reduce the SDZ to allow it to be used on any existing M4/M16 range.

Re; The logistics stuff - Having spent the first 12 years of my Army career at the company level, I completely understand your skepticism, as well as your forward-planning and considering every little detail as if you will get less than zero support from higher.
    I suppose we'll see how it all shakes out. I'm sure there's going to be growing pains with the logistics of it, but whether or not the 'shiny sexy new' keeps GO's collective attention on the logs side of things enough to mitigate the usual BS has yet to be seen. I suspect yes, but I totally understand why you suspect not.

As for 91F's - Adding the POI to their AIT is just one small part of it. My concern is the gap between the heavily scrutinized/supported testing and eval phase of this rifle's life, and the 'we've had these for decades and there's not much that surprises us' skillset we enjoy with M4/M16/M249 etc systems and their variants. Joe having his hands on it for 3-7 years will probably weed out a few things that the engineers missed in the T&E phase.
    That part of the maintainer aspect definitely makes sense.

For the ammo, I know there are training rounds for some MGs (.50s maybe, SRTA I think?). My experience was super limited but they seemed like a PITA to get and I think they may have needed adaptors or something. Either way, it was one of those things that no one really knew about so it made everything more difficult, so back to your point about maintenance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This should be entertaining...coming this Sunday...

http://instagram.com/p/CddeNaRjQId/
    "When the phone rang, Parker was in the garage, killing a man."

"When the phone rang, Parker was in the garage, killing a man."

Ian from Forgotten weapons evaluates and shoots the civilian version of the Sig M5 and the suppressor and speaks about the military program:

Ian from Forgotten Weapons takes the Civilian Sig M5 to a match shoots it along with a Sig P320:

Last edited by Ed L; 06-06-2022 at 06:04 AM.

Is it a bad sign that the Sigs are already showing up on Forgotten Weapons?
    Code Name: JET STREAM

Vending Machine Operator

Watched both of the Ian videos today. Solid work by him as usual.

Using the lower-pressure, softer shooting brass ammo to train and the higher pressure hybrid stuff to fight seems to me to be one of those ideas that’s way better on paper. Are soldiers on longer deployments going to have access to the soft stuff to stay sharp? Will the higher pressure stuff shoot differently enough that the training is of limited help? Seems like a dichotomy that could get messy in the real world. I also share Ian’s reservations about the somewhat half assed folding stock.

That said, it seems like a very customizable and modular carbine. Having a side handle is nice. Ambidextrous everything is nice. All pretty standard AR fare aside from the side handle, granted. Apparently the bolt AND piston weigh 10% less than a standard AR-10 BCG? That surprises me.

Should eventually be a lot of interesting stuff to read about the first few years on the line.

State Government Attorney | Beretta, Glock, CZ & S&W Fan

Quote Originally Posted by LockedBreech View Post
    Using the lower-pressure, softer shooting brass ammo to train and the higher pressure hybrid stuff to fight seems to me to be one of those ideas that’s way better on paper.
    Yeah I don’t see any way the Army will realistically do that well.

Last edited by Wake27; 06-06-2022 at 02:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Wake27 View Post
    Yeah I don’t see any way the Army will realistically do that well.
    This whole thing seems like a disaster in the making. From what I've read, the 277 Fury platforms will be limited to combat arms and everyone else will still field the legacy systems in 5.56 and 7.62; M4, M249, M240.

So, it's not even a replacement for anything....it's just an addition, in which case the full power composite case and training round brass case issue just becomes even more exacerbated.

Seems it'd make a lot more sense to me if they just called the 277 Fury a replacement for 7.62x51 in total for everyone, and everything else remained the same. This idea of adding a heavier rifle with heavier ammunition for the average Joe seems like a Bad IdeaTM given the context that infantrymen are used in modern war.

"When preparing for near-peer war, make logistics as complicated as possible"-Sun Tzu, not
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

User Tag List