Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: SHTF AR 10 or AR 15?

SHTF AR 10 or AR 15?

Live in a Rual area open space westside farmland not in use.

The rest of the area has maybe 20 homes very quiet no crime in the 17 years we have been here.
    The home prices have kept out a lot of problems ...

With all the BS going on home and abroad my personality has always been to fight back with every ounce of my soul.

I need no classes in a fighting mindset not looking to buy a set of balls with a bad ass rifle.

Leaning towards a 16" AR10 in 308 with a LPVO on it.
    Option two a 18" Barrel AR15 with a good LPVO.

I have a good amount of 223/556 Ammo for range and self-defense usage...

If I go the 308 route which I don't mind doing will have to buy the AR than ammo but this will be an SPR AR not for range plinking or used weekly... shooting and training with my 556 AR's weekly would cut down on buying a lot of range ammo for a 308.

I would buy more 308 defensive ammo than range ammo but still shoot it every now and then.

I am not a Joe blow keyboard commander have been around the block just looking to make a wise move.

Count me in the AR15 camp.

-AR10s don’t have nearly the standard of parts compatibility. You can find good AR15 parts anywhere but many AR10s have some unique or proprietary stuff going on.
    -AR15s are less fussy and easier to nail down problems and optimize buffer weights/gas system.
    -7 magazines of 5.56 weights about 7ish lbs and you have 210 rounds. 7 mags of 308 weight about 13-14lbs and you only have 140 rounds on deck.
    -Pretty easy with a little practice to make hits at 500 yards with a general purpose AR15. I personally don’t have a need to stretch out further than that with a defensive rifle. If more range is required then I don’t even want 308, I want 6.5 CM.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by ldunnmobile View Post
    Count me in the AR15 camp.

-AR10s don’t have nearly the standard of parts compatibility. You can find good AR15 parts anywhere but many AR10s have some unique or proprietary stuff going on.
    -AR15s are less fussy and easier to nail down problems and optimize buffer weights/gas system.
    -7 magazines of 5.56 weights about 7ish lbs and you have 210 rounds. 7 mags of 308 weight about 13-14lbs and you only have 140 rounds on deck.
    -Pretty easy with a little practice to make hits at 500 yards with a general purpose AR15. I personally don’t have a need to stretch out further than that with a defensive rifle. If more range is required then I don’t even want 308, I want 6.5 CM.
    Excellent post. I agree on all counts. AR 10s are also heavy. If I have to keep a rifle on me all day, I’d much rather have the 15. I don’t want an 18” AR 15 either. I have no trouble hitting targets of opportunity out to 500 yards with an 11.3” 5.56.

Glock Collective Assimile Suvorov's Avatar
    Escapee from the SF Bay Area now living on the Front Range of Colorado.
    AR10 platform sacrifices weight, handiness, reliability, maintainability, shootability, cost, and firepower for a ballistically superior cartridge.

So is a ballistically superior cartridge worth the sacrifice?

IMHO unless one lived in an area where shots beyond 500 yards were a common need and or your most dangerous threat was a Brown Bear or Polar Bear, then a 556 AR rifle is the hands down winner.

Heavier 556/223 loads have proven more than adequate for medium game and the fact than the 556 and 545 rounds have become the standard for military and paramilitary operations speaks to its superiority in that role.

If you lived in Africa or Asia then 762x39 would be the best choice (in an AK platform) but here in N America if the SHTF, I’ll be grabbing a 556 rifle first.
    Last edited by Suvorov; 04-14-2024 at 04:04 PM.

The most practical first rifle for 99% of Americans is an AR15. The AR10 should only be considered after a robust capability is achieved with the AR15 platform.
    I like my rifles like my women - short, light, fast, brown, and suppressed.

What platform do your neighbors use?
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

AR15: parts and ammo are abundant; reliable, light.
    AR10: Too much fiddling to make reliable; heavy; If i need reliability with power at distance then I would probably get a SCAR or bolt gun.

Sounds like you don't have either rifle at this time. For the reasons others have mentioned, I'd recommend the AR 15. If you feel that you need a .308 or similar cartridge, a good bolt gun would probably be a better option.

AR-15.

I had a large frame AR. Sold it, and have been running a bolt action ever since. More accurate and much easier to shoot than a semi auto.
    -Seconds Count. Misses Don't-

If you have to follow a budget path then the 308 is probably not the right answer. (Based on your ammo comment.) I favor the 308 for the role you present. BUT, i would choose say a 6920/BCM/insert quality ar15 here, over a mediocre ar10 every day of the week!!!

User Tag List