Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: SIG Wins US Army Next Generation Squad Weapon Contract

Quote Originally Posted by Shotgun View Post
    I have a shooting friend tell me the adopted round is a 6.8 Fury, which will require an AR-10 type platform. It is essentially a necked down 308 in a hybrid steel/brass case. Reportedly, the Fury travels about 300fps faster than the 6.8 SPC. Any truth or comments to the foregoing? I've never even heard of a 6.8 Fury before today.
    .277 Fury is 6.8×51mm.

Quote Originally Posted by Gadfly View Post
    How long is the contract for? How long before SIG's designs are being mad by a more reputable manufacturer like FN? How long before some senator from CT wants to throw Colt a bone and gets them a contract to make one of these new guns? Who know what will play out. But i agree, that is a lot of eggs in one basket.
    Maybe you know something I don’t, but I live in CT (unfortunately) and I don’t see any of our horrible senators caring about Colt at all.

It would be awesome to see the mcx spear as readily available to civilians (obviously not the unwashed masses here in Connecticut) as an AR-15. I don’t think 5.56 will go anywhere though due to its price point and availability.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Quote Originally Posted by zpelletier View Post
    Maybe you know something I don’t, but I live in CT (unfortunately) and I don’t see any of our horrible senators caring about Colt at all.

It would be awesome to see the mcx spear as readily available to civilians (obviously not the unwashed masses here in Connecticut) as an AR-15. I don’t think 5.56 will go anywhere though due to its price point and availability.
    Most of them are probably embarrased about Colt and wish it would pack up and move somewhere south of the Mason-Dixon line and/or west of the Mississippi.

Sig is currently asking $7999.00 for the MCX Spear. I don't see that coming down enough to even make a dent in AR-10 format sales. Personally, I'd buy a pair of SCARs first. Also, the MCX Spear they're currently offering is a two-stamp gun, including a can to go on the 13-in barrel. I don't want to be at the range if that thing fires its 80ksi rounds without the can.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Quote Originally Posted by Shotgun View Post
    I have a shooting friend tell me the adopted round is a 6.8 Fury, which will require an AR-10 type platform. It is essentially a necked down 308 in a hybrid steel/brass case. Reportedly, the Fury travels about 300fps faster than the 6.8 SPC. Any truth or comments to the foregoing? I've never even heard of a 6.8 Fury before today.
    Your friend is in the ballpark; the XM5 has some of the form factor of the AR10; however the operating system is more akin to the AR-18. And the XM5 can fire 7.62x51mm NATO with just a barrel swap; as you noted the 6.8mm cartridge is an adaptation of the same x51mm casing. Much like swapping to .300 Blackout in an AR15, you can use the same bolt and magazine for both cartridges.

Quote Originally Posted by zpelletier View Post
    Isn't that just the SIG MCX, which is already widely available?

Rather, I think SIG will eventually offer the MCX-SPEAR chambered in 7.62mm for those who want an analog of the XM5 but in a more widely available (and cheaper) caliber. I suspect it will be sometime before .277 FURY is reasonably priced or on the shelf of your local store.
    "When the phone rang, Parker was in the garage, killing a man."

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    I agree it will take years.
    I don't see the rifle ever replacing the M4, perhaps it will be used as a DMR weapon or for use in theaters where longer range of engagement is expected?

A piggish gun with 7.62 NATO recoil is not for assaulting...

Quote Originally Posted by TiroFijo View Post
    I don't see the rifle ever replacing the M4, perhaps it will be used as a DMR weapon or for use in theaters where longer range of engagement is expected?

Ironically that is exactly what they are doing with this, trying to kill the M4. Perhaps this is an attack on civilian gun ownership from another angle? Takes away NATO commonality as well, are we being setup for a war sometime soon that could case major disaster for America?

Quote Originally Posted by Thy.Will.Be.Done View Post
    Ironically that is exactly what they are doing with this, trying to kill the M4. Perhaps this is an attack on civilian gun ownership from another angle? Takes away NATO commonality as well, are we being setup for a war sometime soon that could case major disaster for America?
    Could you join the dots for me please? I'm not following your train of thought

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by TiroFijo View Post

No, it is intended to replace the M4 and M249 series though it will be a long time before it’s pure fleeted.

Initially it will go to combat units.

It is heavy but it doesn’t have 7.62 nato recoil. More than 5.56 ? Yes.

This is not about range, as aloha Doug mentioned it’s about donkey punching through the next generation of Chinese body armor.

If 5.56 could have been loaded to accomplish the anticipated work they would have used it
    Last edited by HCM; 04-20-2022 at 08:32 PM.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Thy.Will.Be.Done View Post
    Not sure what this has to do with 2A issues.

As for NATO commonality, if this is a China oriented decision then NATO commonality is a moot issue.

Quote Originally Posted by JSGlock34 View Post
    Isn't that just the SIG MCX, which is already widely available?

Rather, I think SIG will eventually offer the MCX-SPEAR chambered in 7.62mm for those who want an analog of the XM5 but in a more widely available (and cheaper) caliber. I suspect it will be sometime before .277 FURY is reasonably priced or on the shelf of your local store.
    I guess so, I don’t think the MCX is as widely available as a standard AR. Certainly more expensive than most, and parts are more expensive and harder to come by. I agree that Sig will probably offer the MCX-SPEAR in something more common like 7.62, but as OlongJohnson pointed it, it will probably be expensive compared to an AR-10.

I’d just like to be able to pick up an MCX for like $1K, okay? Is that too much to ask?!

User Tag List