Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Thread: Lightweight Commander in 45 acp

Quote Originally Posted by mmc45414 View Post
    These are the ones I have considered:
    https://fusionfirearms.com/1911-comm...ra-match-grade
    Sadly they don't seem to offer a 38 Super commander barrel in the configuration I would need (standard/GI/Colt ramp). I wound up calling Kart and put in an order; they're a little more "old fashioned" in that I have to send them a check with my order on actual physical paper, but that's fine...I know what I'm getting, so I'm all good with that. Since they quoted me 6 weeks or so to make the barrel (they don't have any in stock), the extra few days for a check to make it there isn't a big deal for me.

Quote Originally Posted by theJanitor View Post
    you already know these are the only real choices anyway
    Of those two, the only real choice for me would be Kart...Jarvis was also a consideration to be honest, but I liked the last Kart EZ-Fit (now Xact-Fit) that I did. I had a bad customer service experience with Barsto that I would rather not be put into a position where it might repeat. They may make a good and competitive product at a competitive price, but mistakes do get shipped out on occasion, and if you point out that their product has a problem and try to return it or get them to fix it if possible, you're likely to be accused of causing the problem yourself. At least that was my experience.

Quote Originally Posted by Evil_Ed View Post
    Of those two, the only real choice for me would be Kart...Jarvis was also a consideration to be honest, but I liked the last Kart EZ-Fit (now Xact-Fit) that I did.
    I've bought and sold ALOT of customs over the years, and I can't tell you how many times the lead question I get asked is, "Does it have a Kart?"

Quote Originally Posted by mmc45414 View Post
    These are the ones I have considered:
    https://fusionfirearms.com/1911-comm...ra-match-grade
    I have one. Fit it in a Series 80 LW Commander with a Wilson Combat bushing. The pistol started as a 9mm. Just shortened the ejector. The extractor didn't need any adjustment. With Colt, Mecgar, and McCormick mags it runs well with both 9 mm and .38 Super.

Sent from my SM-G781U1 using Tapatalk

So the Commander I ordered (Colt model O4842XE) came in today...and imagine my surprise when I found the front strap was serrated. I wonder if they're doing that to newer guns in general now?

Name:  IMG_1425-cropped.jpg
Views: 328
Size:  29.0 KB

Edited to add - yes, in typical Colt fashion, the serrations on one side are longer than the other side...it's fine, it's what makes a Colt, a Colt

Edited to add - yes, in typical Colt fashion, the serrations on one side are longer than the other side...it's fine, it's what makes a Colt, a Colt
    Better than my Kimber with checkering, where one vertical line is super crooked and there are horizontal lines at the top without vertical lines intersecting them.

My stainless Kimber is an ugly, ugly Monday or Friday gun. It runs, but when you look close at it, it looks awful.

Glad to know it has something in common with Colts!

So the Commander I ordered (Colt model O4842XE) came in today...and imagine my surprise when I found the front strap was serrated. I wonder if they're doing that to newer guns in general now?

Name:  IMG_1425-cropped.jpg
Views: 328
Size:  29.0 KB

Which model is that?

Site Supporter
    Colt has been putting serrations in their lightweight frames for a bunch of years now. An all-steel Combat Commander has a smooth front strap. Unless it's a Combat Elite, Wiley Clapp, or Custom Shop model.

Quote Originally Posted by newyork View Post
    Which model is that?
    So the Commander I ordered (Colt model O4842XE) came in today...

Quote Originally Posted by Robinson View Post
    Colt has been putting serrations in their lightweight frames for a bunch of years now. An all-steel Combat Commander has a smooth front strap. Unless it's a Combat Elite, Wiley Clapp, or Custom Shop model.
    Ahhhh, ok...last lightweight Commander I handled didn't have it, but that was probably 2016 or 2017 (and I passed because I didn't like lightweights in 45). Everything else I've looked at was all Combat Commanders or a WC. Neat, thanks, I didn't know that!

I was this* to close to buying a LW Commander in January.

Its somewhat pricey at $1900 and I also don't care for the billboard "colt gunsite pistol" engraving on the slide. I think the gunsite raven is plenty sufficient.

However, it does have a good feature set and from what I've read, the colt custom shop is involved with the production in some capacity.

Name:  light-weight-commander-2.jpg
Views: 204
Size:  22.1 KB
    • Series 70, 4.25”
    • Extended Wilson thumb safety left side only.
    • Upswept grip safety.
    • Flat metal mainspring housing with serrations.
    • Dehorned
    • Thin grips
    • Total bead blast finish.
    • Beveled magazine well.
    • Gold Cup style serrations on front strap
    • Wolf heavy firing pin spring and 18-lb. recoil spring kit.
    • Novak sights. Front sight with tritium insert.
    • Commander style hammer.
    • Short aluminum trigger with serration’s and adjustment screw.
    • 4-4.25 lb. Trigger break
    • National Match hammer and sear

https://www.gunsitestore.com/product...ght-commander/

User Tag List