Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast

Thread: Lightweight Commander in 45 acp

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by fatdog View Post
    I have had great luck with S&W Scandium commanders and DW variants of the LW Commander and one Colt. A close friend had good luck with the Ruger variant. No personal data on the Springers LW commander type.

I think the ability to get one fixed is crucial as there is always a chance, even with premium 1911's you could get a problem child. I think I would trust Ruger customer service over Springfield, but that is based on just a few CS experiences with each vendor and the Springfield experience was a steel frame 1911 that I eventually sent down the road, they kept trying but just seemed not to have the skills in their CS department at that time to resolve it completely.

I don't know who puts thousands and thousands of rounds of .45 ACP through a LW Commander, that would be proof of durability. My wrists are not up for that test.
    @Glenn E. Meyer also has a scandium S&W 1911 I believe.

Quote Originally Posted by mmc45414 View Post
    Listed load:
    Attachment 87702

They have a +P listing but WSF is the only option and it shows as being slower.

ETA: One of the 1911s I kept is my 5" Ruger 9mm, considering getting a second barrel. It is a cone barrel, so maybe even leave some peeking out, and machine it into a comp. These are the things I think about when I am driving. Or drinking...
    I'm just saying hsts will hold together. I've never loaded for the .38 super. The 1275 was with my 4" .357 mag.

Site Supporter
    That's true. When new it had a tendency to jam but that finally worked out. Despite it's weight I have no trouble shooting it through a match of 100 or so rounds. No wrist problems from the recoil, even at 74 years but I do work out my arms. I really like the gun. It's not an EDC as it's a tad too big for little old me.

I shoot WWB 230 gr at matches. I have some mags loaded with Hornady Critical Duty if I do decided to carry it. Also one with some Buffalo Bore - it will stop a black bear rounds in case the local bear decides to walk the 8 miles to our house and crashes through the door for some placek. Haha - fantasy time. The law dispatched the last rogue bear in 2018.

Quote Originally Posted by 03RN View Post
    I'm just saying hsts will hold together. I've never loaded for the .38 super. The 1275 was with my 4" .357 mag.
    Yup, I understood, been following your thread with the cool testing.

Quote Originally Posted by JAD View Post
    My 4" DW CCO is .45 and works fine, Robinson -- not sure what the concern about 4" vs 4.25" would be.
    Your DW CCO should be 4.25”.

I have had about a dozen Lightweight Commanders over the years, some lightly tuned and also higher end pistols from Heinie, Novak, Baer and others. Realistically, I am 50/50, meaning only half have been steel five inch 1911 in .45 kind of reliable. Privately, great 1911 guys tell me that where a steel five inch 1911 in .45 will be reliable, the LW Commander may be reliable. Reliability doesn't seem to relate to how much you have spent on the pistol.

A shout out to a Novak that was utterly reliable. Think SteveB pried that away from me.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    I have had about a dozen Lightweight Commanders over the years, some lightly tuned and also higher end pistols from Heinie, Novak, Baer and others. Realistically, I am 50/50, meaning only half have been steel five inch 1911 in .45 kind of reliable. Privately, great 1911 guys tell me that where a steel five inch 1911 in .45 will be reliable, the LW Commander may be reliable. Reliability doesn't seem to relate to how much you have spent on the pistol.

A shout out to a Novak that was utterly reliable. Think SteveB pried that away from me.
    This

All my 5” guns run like sewing machines. Hit or miss with anything shorter

Yet…I’m about to take possession of a full custom 9mm commander.

Just. Can’t. Help. Myself

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by TC215 View Post
    Your DW CCO should be 4.25”.
    Thank god, that must be why it works.
    Ignore Alien Orders

Quote Originally Posted by 03RN View Post
    Not identical stages but close
    5" steel govt

4" LW
    Bear camp looks like they have some fun matches. someday I have take a run over there. We have a place in Moultonborough so it not that far.

Quote Originally Posted by stinx View Post
    Bear camp looks like they have some fun matches. someday I have take a run over there. We have a place in Moultonborough so it not that far.
    Oh nice. Yeah they do. It's really the only competitions I get to these days between my work schedule and having kids. Everyone there is cool with my 3yo son coming and we get done early enough on Sunday that I can still get to work after.

User Tag List