Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Lightweight Commander in 45 acp

Quote Originally Posted by JRV View Post
    That’s gorgeous.
    Works, too. Mags don’t fly out of it, but there you go.
    Ignore Alien Orders

Quote Originally Posted by 03RN View Post
    If I had a genie I'd ask for a LW commander in .38 super
    And some 147gn ammo.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Robinson View Post
    I could be mistaken, but I think Springfield's "Commander" size guns actually have 4" barrels, not true Commander length. Anything shorter than 4.25" for 45ACP would give me pause to be honest.
    Springfield used to give their 4" guns the moniker "Champion". They only one I now see in their lineup is the 4" Ronin EMP. The "Champion" name is no longer mentioned.

Quote Originally Posted by MandoWookie View Post
    https://www.smith-wesson.com/product...pact?sku=12105

If the Sig and Rock River are on table....
    Dude.....please.

https://www.smith-wesson.com/subcategory/sw1911

I have a 4" Springfield Champion in 9mm and a 4.25" Ruger Commander in .45ACP (Talo Nightwatchman version). I like them a lot, but have not run either of them hard or put a ton of rounds through them.

I've had one feeding hiccup in the Ruger, but I was dinking around with it at the end of a qualification day at work, and I was shooting up a box of Ultramax reloads that work had provided, and I really didn't diagnose the issue. It could have been the ammo.

I got the Springer used from a retired co-worker. It had a few bobbles that I hashed out in Rob's epic thread. I suspected a .45 slide stop and a weak/worn recoil spring (flatwire). Replaced those parts and the extractor with Wilson products and no issues since. Again, not a ton of rounds yet. Going to try to fix that soon.
    "It's surprising how often you start wondering just how featureless a desert some people's inner landscapes must be."
    -Maple Syrup Actual

If I had a genie I'd ask for a LW commander in .38 super
    https://danwessonfirearms.com/product/guardian/

I got to fondle a pre-owned .38 Super Guardian in a local shop. Alas, I did not have the funds on hand, and the shop didn't or wouldn't do a layaway.
    "It's surprising how often you start wondering just how featureless a desert some people's inner landscapes must be."
    -Maple Syrup Actual

Quote Originally Posted by mmc45414 View Post
    And some 147gn ammo.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
    the fine folks at Wilson have this in stock:

https://shopwilsoncombat.com/38-SUPE...8SU-115-TACXP/

that’s a good bullet at a healthy velocity— lots to like. It’s what’s in mine.
    Ignore Alien Orders

Always between two major rivers that begin with the letter "M."
    Mrs. gata naranja has a SA Range officer Elite Compact (in 9mm) that she fell in love with. I tried to talk her out of it - long story - but failed.

Anyhoo... it is actually a pretty nice little gun regardless of what I think about aluminum-framed, smallish 1911's. It would be a bit of a handful for me in .45 ACP nowadays, but that could be said of a lot of handguns that didn't used to bother me. We normally tend to be lemon magnets, but none of the Springers we have owned have required anything other than deburring or breaking sharp edges to be functionally fine. I had some finish issues with an all-steel 5" Operator, but it worked and I resisted "fixing" it.
    gn

"On the internet, nobody knows if you are a dog... or even a cat."

I have had great luck with S&W Scandium commanders and DW variants of the LW Commander and one Colt. A close friend had good luck with the Ruger variant. No personal data on the Springers LW commander type.

I think the ability to get one fixed is crucial as there is always a chance, even with premium 1911's you could get a problem child. I think I would trust Ruger customer service over Springfield, but that is based on just a few CS experiences with each vendor and the Springfield experience was a steel frame 1911 that I eventually sent down the road, they kept trying but just seemed not to have the skills in their CS department at that time to resolve it completely.

I don't know who puts thousands and thousands of rounds of .45 ACP through a LW Commander, that would be proof of durability. My wrists are not up for that test.

Quote Originally Posted by mmc45414 View Post
    And some 147gn ammo.
    Quote Originally Posted by JAD View Post
    that’s a good bullet at a healthy velocity— lots to like. It’s what’s in mine.
    Yup, there are good 38S options, I am just wondering (just wondering, like I do while staring out through a windshield or something...) if 147gn ammo did so well in all of the FBI tests might it be a neat fit in the longer case. Maybe Speer could call it G3?

Quote Originally Posted by gato naranja View Post
    It would be a bit of a handful for me in .45 ACP nowadays, but that could be said of a lot of handguns that didn't used to bother me.
    Quote Originally Posted by fatdog View Post
    I have had great luck with S&W Scandium commanders ... A close friend had good luck with the Ruger variant ... I don't know who puts thousands and thousands of rounds of .45 ACP through a LW Commander, that would be proof of durability. My wrists are not up for that test.
    The friend/mentor I mentioned with the Ruger he shoots a bunch also has a Scandium S&W he shot a ton. He also still shoots 45 every week, but has backed down to reloading 200gn bullets at a reasonable velocity (I forget exactly how old he is, but he is creeping up on eighty), I also wouldn't want to shoot that much hardball in an LWC.

Well, the 147gr hst holds together at 1275fps. That would be a noble load from a .38 super LW commander.

I've gotten a few thousand rounds of 200gr swc @950fps from my lw champion with no issues.

Well, the 147gr hst holds together at 1275fps. That would be a noble load from a .38 super LW commander.
    Listed load:
    Name:  147 38S.jpg
Views: 282
Size:  25.2 KB

They have a +P listing but WSF is the only option and it shows as being slower.

ETA: One of the 1911s I kept is my 5" Ruger 9mm, considering getting a second barrel. It is a cone barrel, so maybe even leave some peeking out, and machine it into a comp. These are the things I think about when I am driving. Or drinking...

User Tag List