Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Lightweight Commander in 45 acp

No opinions on the pistols mentioned above, but in 45, my gut would be to go with a steel or hardened feed ramp insert and a standard barrel. If it were a 9mm, then a ramped barrel would be more suitable.

@JAD prefers a LW commander. Personally, a LW CCO in 9mm would be the ultimate edc pistol

Actually I've had two Sigs, a P245 and two P220s (blued, the other stainless). Liked them, but eventually got rid of them all. I do have a DW A2 5" parkerized. Great pistol. Its been 100% reliable.

Thanks for all the replies!

Site Supporter
    What about a Colt?

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    More constructively, I support the Dan Wesson approach. My 1911s, when I had them, were built by DW. I still occasionally kick myself for not picking up a stainless Commander in 9mm when they were cheap a few years ago, but then I realize I probably would have sold it in 2020.

Also, I think @Totem Polar had a thread on here a few years back where he had surprisingly good results with a Ruger poly-frame 1911. Should count as lightweight.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    More constructively, I support the Dan Wesson approach. My 1911s, when I had them, were built by DW. I still occasionally kick myself for not picking up a stainless Commander in 9mm when they were cheap a few years ago, but then I realize I probably would have sold it in 2020.

Also, I think @Totem Polar had a thread on here a few years back where he had surprisingly good results with a Ruger poly-frame 1911. Should count as lightweight.
    Think that was a Rock River , but yes that would be a neat option.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    You paid more attention than I did, apparently.

https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....ly-quot-thread
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

I do not suggest to people that they spend less than Dan Wesson money on 1911s. If your budget for a pistol is less than $1500 Glocks are really good guns.

A .45ACP aluminum gun does not need a ramp. My DW CCO has a ramp and works well. I have... a lot of Colts and their aluminum feedways are fine.

I do not see the point in 9mm 1911s -- if your preference is for 9mm Glocks are really good guns.

My 4" DW CCO is .45 and works fine, Robinson -- not sure what the concern about 4" vs 4.25" would be.

If you have the money and can tolerate a little recoil, LWCs (and CCOs) in .45 is a really good carry gun from my perspective -- I shoot them really well and I am comfortable with their reliability. There's one on my hip now that cost $1400 new, and has sent several thousand dollars downrange. If I was carrying one of my Glocks, I would say that it cost $500 new, and has sent several thousand dollars downrange, and from a total cost of ownership perspective they'd be about even.
    Ignore Alien Orders

Ive had great luck with my Springfield LW champion. The front sight did fall off at a match and I swapped out the guide rod for a Wilson flatwire recoil spring.

I don't think they're in production right now so I'd grab a Ronin. My brother in law has one and it's well made.

Slow fire I think I shoot govt 1911s better but at matches I think I shoot the LW gun better.
    Name:  IMG_20210902_112019.jpg
Views: 416
Size:  100.7 KB

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by JAD View Post
    My 4" DW CCO is .45 and works fine, Robinson -- not sure what the concern about 4" vs 4.25" would be.
    Oh, I've just always considered Commanders to be on the ragged edge of reliable performance because of less slide travel. Maybe the .25" doesn't make much difference though -- I'm not really an authority on it.

User Tag List