Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Lightweight Commander in 45 acp

Lightweight Commander in 45 acp

Well I got it on my mind, and y'all know how that ends up! I've seen the end of that movie way too many times.

This is a Springfield Armory vs Ruger question. Both have lightweight Commander models that are similar. I know Ruger has a titanium feed ramp while the SA has a ramped barrel. Not leaning towards one or the other. Just looking for opinions from those who have or have had either. Or if there is an existing thread that I overlooked. Thanks in advance.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    My answer was P220 because TDA, and it just works better for me overall.

Hey, look - a squirrel!
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by JAH 3rd View Post
    Well I got it on my mind, and y'all know how that ends up! I've seen the end of that movie way too many times.

This is a Springfield Armory vs Ruger question. Both have lightweight Commander models that are similar. I know Ruger has a titanium feed ramp while the SA has a ramped barrel. Not leaning towards one or the other. Just looking for opinions from those who have or have had either. Or if there is an existing thread that I overlooked. Thanks in advance.
    I could be mistaken, but I think Springfield's "Commander" size guns actually have 4" barrels, not true Commander length. Anything shorter than 4.25" for 45ACP would give me pause to be honest.

TDA ( Traditional Double Action) having a similar SIG Sauer P227 Nitron Carry , I say affirmative to the P220 .
    For some folks a combat pistol does not need a safety. “Side arm has everything you need ; and nothing that you don’t”.
    Custer wore the 1st "Arrow shirt".
    Given the size & power of “Ivan”, we must now … and ever be Vigilant.

If looking for a lightweight commander, I strongly suggest you at lease assess and consider the offerings from Dan Wesson.

Quote Originally Posted by JAH 3rd View Post

Springfield builds nice 1911s and the ronin commander looks like a well setup option for the price.

I have shot their older lightweight guns and they were pretty reliable. But these ronin pistols seem like a good feature set.

Can not personally comment on the Rugers. I have seen my buddies choke a handful of times and he gave up trying to fix and sold it. Granted they may have been able to get it right.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by 1911Nut View Post
    If looking for a lightweight commander, I strongly suggest you at lease assess and consider the offerings from Dan Wesson.
    I agree with this suggestion.
    -Seconds Count. Misses Don't-

https://www.springfield-armory.com/1...5-acp-handgun/
    One weekend, I tried to find a .45ACP Ronin 4.25" Springfield, but couldn't find one locally, either in 9mm or .45.
    I did find a used 5" .45ACP Professional model and bought that instead.

I used to have a Ruger 4.25" in .45ACP, but the steel-framed version.
    https://ruger.com/products/sr1911Com...eets/6702.html

For me, it was problematic, with the front sights breaking off twice; the POI too low; a replacement adjustable rear breaking (not Ruger's fault, it just broke while shooting); the slide-stop breaking (somewhere ~5K rounds); it didn't group well for me, although after replacing the barrel bushing with an EGW did tighten the group up, but still too large for my liking.

I really liked the size and did put almost 12K rounds through it before selling it off.

I haven't come across any posts with anybody talking about a longer-term, higher-round count (with~10K+ rds) review of either gun.

The 5" 1911s will likely be what I'll stay with for now, having four.

I think if a person was going to get either one, put only ~100 rounds through it, then carry it with only occasional shooting (maybe 100 rds/year), either would be satisfactory to most anybody.

I don't have personal experience with the current Springfield offerings in that size. Though I do own a Range Officer Elite Champion (their LW commander) in .45 that has a few thousand rounds through it. Which should be the same gun as the current models with aesthetic changes. As mentioned above, it's a 4 inch barrel. Boringly reliable. Only changes I've made to it was the Wilson Combat front strap sticker for some additional grip. The oddball thing is I prefer shooting it to my full steel TRP. Slide cycles faster and it just tracks better in my hands, though the recoil impulse is slightly sharper. The only thing I hate is taking it down with the FLGR. Though I did notice it came with a flat wire recoil spring from the factory, which I thought was interesting. The trigger and build quality are typical Springfield. It's not a custom gun by any stretch, but everything is perfectly adequate for my use as a carry gun.

Buy the one with the features you really want. Sights, controls, safeties, bobtail-or-not, etc. That could be Ruger, Springfield, Colt, or Dan Wesson. Anything on the U.S.-made 1911 market under $1,500 or so is assembly-line made with possibly a little fitting and random QC checks. At that point, extra money buys peace of mind on the QC end, but no absolute guarantees.

If you feed any of those guns with conventional bullet shapes and weights (like Golden Sabers or similar) from quality magazines (Wilson, Tripp, whatever), there’s not much to go wrong functionally besides improper extractor tension/fitment out of the box. Extractors are fairly easy to check and adjust, and most makers get it close-enough-to-right that the guns will run fine (especially in .45).

Barrel ramp/ramp material isn’t going to make any differences with good magazines and proper extractor-controlled feed. If you’re concerned about ramp or frame material as a wear item, as long as the parts are in-spec, you’ll put enough ammo through the gun to buy it ten times over before it’s a concern.
    Well, you may be a man. You may be a leprechaun. Only one thing’s for sure… you’re in the wrong basement.

User Tag List