Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: is there a "proper" distance for zeroing a red dot.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Gadfly View Post
    The Trijicon RMR sight in targets I found on line show 10 yards... I don't know if that is a standard. Target stating the clicks are1 MOA adjustment.

This is how we are sighting in agents on the new issued RMR. We start at 10y, then confirm farther back doing a "walk back drill" (25, 50,75,100) on steel out to 100y and scoring hits.
    Check your PM.

Site Supporter
    Personally I use the Jedlinski method - dial in at 10 yards, confirm at 25.

Current procedures at work is co-witness followed by a 15 yard zero from a rest such as a barrel which mimics the distance between the optic and the eye when shooting offhand. The zero target is similar to the 50 yard zero target for RDS on carbines. A 1 1/2” center circle inside a B8 sized circle.

Since this is for the masses and new RDS shooters, we accept a 5 round group centered within the B8 sized circle aa “zeroed. “

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post

Since this is for the masses and new RDS shooters, we accept a 5 round group centered within the B8 sized circle aa “zeroed. “
    H - Do your students bench rest the pistol, or is this 5 round within a B-8 (I assume "within" means the black/9 ring/5.54", right?) standing, two-hand unsupported?

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by RJ View Post
    H - Do your students bench rest the pistol, or is this 5 round within a B-8 (I assume "within" means the black/9 ring/5.54", right?) standing, two-hand unsupported?
    As noted supported off a table, barrel, trash can etc.

Most of the ranges we use don’t have multiple benchrest like commercial ranges.

We try to avoid zeroing from prone because that usually ends up with the pistol and optic closer to the face than it would be in a normal offhand shooting stance which would create the potential for parallax issues.

The target is similar to the Arma Dynamics 50 yard carbine zero target:

Name:  2D84748D-EB2E-4D29-8202-122BFC778286.jpg
Views: 1192
Size:  48.8 KB

http://www.arma-dynamics.com/red-dot-zero-targets.html

This is certainly “a” way, not “the” way. Personally from a rest at 15 yards I want all my rounds in the center circle for zero. However for hundreds or thousands of shooters of varying abilities who will get either eight or 16 hours to become functional with a red dot the B8-ish standard works.

Our minimum requirement is 8 hours of RDS/PMO transition training but locally we’ve convinced the powers that be to give us 16 hours. It’s not uncommon to have shooters adjust or refine their zero later on in the training as they become more comfortable and proficient with the dot.

I’ve generally done 15 yard zeros, but just went through a Jedlinski class and he does the 10 yard, as mentioned previously.

It doesn’t really matter. There are better things to discuss.

Site Supporter

Shotgun 25 yard zero

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    For simplicity, I use a 25 yard zero with red dot pistols, red dot PCCs, and red dot shotguns. With some variation based on mechanical offset of the optic, it puts me on at 25, a bit high at 50, on at 75, and a bit low at 100. 5.56 carbines get a 50/220 zero and most all other center fire rifles on at 200.

PS: using the Wheeler laser, after mounting an optic, I am generally within an inch or so at 25 yards with the pistols.
    George - Given a 25 yard shotgun zero, what are you seeing at 50, 75, and 100? Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Wyoming Shooter View Post
    George - Given a 25 yard shotgun zero, what are you seeing at 50, 75, and 100? Thanks!
    Exactly what is in the post you quoted — on at 25, bit high at 50, on at 75, and lower at 100.

Name:  EE0A2DB0-44B9-4130-ABD8-3AC73F0E4B24.jpg
Views: 542
Size:  42.9 KB
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Site Supporter

Thanks

Thanks. I had supposed greater drop for the shotgun slugs. I'll do some experimentation and report back.

My RMR 04 arrived today.
    Hopefully will be able to mount it soon.

@GJM;
    Where'd you find 16 gauge slugs?
    My model 12 is pining for them.

eta:
    Brenneke, obviously 🙄
    "... And miles to go before I sleep".

User Tag List