Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: is there a "proper" distance for zeroing a red dot.

The Sig Academy’s answer in their Pistol Optics Instructor program (built around teaching rank and file cops/soldiers) is 15y in the black of a B8, which is probably just as much on the merit of the zero as the anticipated skill of the students the new instructors will be teaching. Allegedly a 15y zero will generally converge around 35y (although strelok says more like 50y with PMC 115gr I get in bulk), which is pretty workable for most pistol problems. I tend to use this, but at tighter accuracy standard than the B8 black, with good result for USPSA and 2/3G stuff that usually tops out difficulty-wise with 4” steel at about 40y.

Ultimately I suspect it’s like rifle zeros- everyone has preferences and some zeros have certain strengths or weaknesses. I tend towards a 50y zero on rifle figuring that gets me about +/- 2” within 250y, and a 15y pistol zero puts me about +/- 1” to about 60y, so I’m ok with those.
    Anything I post is my opinion alone as a private citizen.

I make gross adjustments at 10 yards to get a rough zero and then refine/confirm at 25 freestyle/unsupported. It seems to be the most expedient way I’ve found. The zero is a never ending process to me though and I will make adjustments whenever I see a tight group not in the X. I’m pretty consistent in shooting high 90’s on a B8 at 25 yards and if a group tends to be centered in one particular area I will make necessary adjustments even if I’m not intending to zero that session. Most people you encounter at the range (not counting forum members) are not able to shoot accurately enough to zero at 25 yards and probably should just do what they’re capable of.

For simplicity, I use a 25 yard zero with red dot pistols, red dot PCCs, and red dot shotguns. With some variation based on mechanical offset of the optic, it puts me on at 25, a bit high at 50, on at 75, and a bit low at 100. 5.56 carbines get a 50/220 zero and most all other center fire rifles on at 200.

PS: using the Wheeler laser, after mounting an optic, I am generally within an inch or so at 25 yards with the pistols.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

I was originally a 25 yard bench rest zeroer but switched to 10 yards (with confirmation of sorts at 25) after attending a Modern Samurai Project class and seeing how quickly you can work up a zero.

It is important to consider shooter ability in selecting a zeroing distance as well. A lot of shooters just don't have the ability to shoot with sufficient precision at 25 yards and end up chasing holes everywhere. I've also seen several "flinchers" end up with a gun zeroed for their poor trigger control, so that's something to watch out for.

Too many guys try to become Carlos Hathglock when they put a red dot on a pistol and spend an absolute ton of time dicking with fine-tuning the zero when, in reality, a lot of it is probably shooter error. The overwhelmingly vast majority of shooters will get a better zero from a red dot at 10 yards than from any set of fixed irons at any distance. It's important to not let perfect be the enemy of good.

I am a fan of 10 yards and maybe a minor adjustment at 25 if needed. It covers all my gaming needs and seems to be a grounded CCW distance. I started using it partly out of convenience and simplicity, and partly because the benefit of a true 25 is lost on me. On close range stuff I have minimal to no hold over and I can hold the Black of a B8 out to 50 yards.

We have used 25 yards on a B8 since starting RDS use for handguns in 2010....
    Facts matter...Feelings Can Lie

I was in the 25-yard zero camp for quite a while. Then I went to Sig's red dot optics instructor class. They advocated for and explained the ballistic data supporting a 15-yard zero. Considering that data with a teaching perspective - the ability of people to shoot groups at 15yds vs 25yds, time spent running two zero'ing sessions (1st @ 10 and again at 25) - drove me to decide on the 15-yard number.

Wouldn't talk anyone out of the 25-yard number but when you work within a program that shoots back to 15-yards in one class and 35-50-yards in another, I'm still good with the 15-yard zero and learning how it works at farther distances.

Regardless of the zero you go, like whichever one you choose for your AR, work it at different distances and see how it works.

10 to 15 yards with conformation at longer (25ish) seems to be a norm.

The idea of 10 / 25 is what Modern Samurai uses.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Can't thank you all enough.
    Some very interesting perspectives on distances. With any luck I'll have my red dot project assembled by the month's end.

I've chosen the an RMR, specifically the RM04. I'm hooked on the idea of the 6 dot, and no batteries to worry about.
    "... And miles to go before I sleep".

I've ran the 10, 15, and 25 yard zero. I came back and settled on the 15 yard zero. I found that I was the most consistent at distances beyond 25 and up to 50 with it with no discernible difference at distances between bad breath and 20.

User Tag List