Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: New Gen 3 Glock 19 FTE

Quote Originally Posted by 4RNR View Post
    Have someone else try, to eliminate anything that could be you

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk
    It was 3 FTEs in 200 rounds. Not really looking to have someone put boxes of ammo through my pistol. With that said, there are pages and pages of reports on various forums regarding Gen 3 Glock stovepipes and FTEs. I'm not sure why so many respond by accusing the shooter. I have owned probably 15 different pistols of all different types. Only malfunctions I've experienced are from Glocks, a 9mm 1911, and a Px4 storm (range gun). No malfunctions with other striker-fired polymer pistols like: PPQ M2, M&P 2.0, CZ P10c.

EDIT: BTW, I regret selling the M&P 2.0...an amazing an highly underrated pistol.

Site Supporter
    I'd replace the extractor, and probably go ahead and spring for the Apex part.

Sent from my moto g power (2021) using Tapatalk

I think it's really hard to diagnose problems without video, it just turns into guessing based off of memories

Quote Originally Posted by pastaslinger View Post
    I think it's really hard to diagnose problems without video, it just turns into guessing based off of memories
    Probably true. Although I did replace the factory trigger with a new OEM G17 trigger (don't like the grooves on the stock trigger). Wondering if that may have something to do with it. Maybe I messed something up during reassembly? I was very careful and think everyone was put back in correctly... Or maybe its a "break-in" thing. I had a Glock tech/customer service person tell me to break it in using 124 grain instead of 115...

EDIT: Also, I live in CA, so using factory 10 round mags.
    Last edited by HammerStriker; 04-19-2022 at 01:11 AM.

I installed the ejector from the gen 5 trigger mechanism in my gen 3 rtf2. That alone helped with ejection in that particular pistol. I prefer my gen 5 pistols overall, but that is my only older glock that does not smack my forehead with brass.

47208 is the part number.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    I have a slightly different take. For a defensive pistol, the gun should run if you hold it one or both hands, firmly or loosely.
    Amen!!

Quote Originally Posted by HammerStriker View Post
    So I purchased a new G19 Gen 3 and have had 3 FTE in ~200 rounds.
    Factory ammo was used (WWB, fiocchi, Remington UMC).
    I had a Glock tech/customer service person tell me to break it in using 124 grain instead of 115...
    At your OP, I would have bet all of your ammo was 115gr ball.

I don't know if this is your issue, but...

It seems as if much of the 115gr ball ammo on the shelves these days is loaded light, probably as a cost savings issue, or perhaps a quality control issue. In any case, light loaded ammo with a gun designed to handle NATO level, and +P and +P+ ammo, with a new/fresh recoil spring, seems to have problems you describe.

This seems to be a common issue with a variety of firearms, and is usually not a problem with full power 115gr ammo, or training ammo in 124gr or heavier weight. It also seems to be a short term issue. After a couple of hundred rounds the guns seem to feed whatever cheap ammo you want, just not the cheap, lightweight stuff, when new.

At some point in the early Gen4 teething issues Glock release an updated ejector specifically for 9mm. Later on my high mileage Gen3 developed weak ejection (after replacing the barrel and a broken locking block). Upgrading to the gen 4 parts actually fixed it for me

It was 3 FTEs in 200 rounds. Not really looking to have someone put boxes of ammo through my pistol. With that said, there are pages and pages of reports on various forums regarding Gen 3 Glock stovepipes and FTEs. I'm not sure why so many respond by accusing the shooter. I have owned probably 15 different pistols of all different types. Only malfunctions I've experienced are from Glocks, a 9mm 1911, and a Px4 storm (range gun). No malfunctions with other striker-fired polymer pistols like: PPQ M2, M&P 2.0, CZ P10c.

EDIT: BTW, I regret selling the M&P 2.0...an amazing an highly underrated pistol.
    I'm not accusing but "HammerStriker" doesn't instantly let the reader know who that person is. Just like 4RNR doesn't.

I don't know you, your abilities or level of knowledge. So giving someone else a mag or two worth of 9mm to try isn't too big of a deal.

I've been shooting glocks for years. Have owned all the gens. Early on, 15 years ago or so, I had an issue with a used G23, which now I'm almost positive was due to me limp wristing even though I didn't have that problem with other guns. Sold it and years later when I bought another there was no problems but I was also a better, more experienced shooter.

All the 9mm Glocks I've owned I never experienced malfunctions, btf, fte, or stove pipes. All but the gen5 were police trades and bought used. All are stock. I'm not into customizing stuff. If it works, great! If not, adios!! Up until the purchase of the gen5 I've been carrying a gen3 19 since 2007 or so and it was already used back then. The gun I use in class is a beat up gen3 G17 from Fairfax VA PD. In classes and range I mostly use Russian ammo I barely clean the things and after almost 20 years I finally had the springs on the gen3 19 replaced, which were rusty and worn yet you wouldn't know it by shooting. I can't tell you how weak or strong the brass ejection is/was because as long as the bullet is going forward, the brass somewhere away and the mags down I'm good.

I did avoid the early gen4 but that's because I avoid anything new. Let others pay to figure out the bugs. I don't need to be the first one on the block with a new toy

Maybe I messed something up during reassembly?
    Make sure you have the extractor depressor plunger oriented correctly: the shiny metal end should be visible against the back of the extractor.

Beyond that, as already mentioned, mouse-fart 115 practice ammo could be the culprit until the recoil spring wears in a bit.

User Tag List