Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Nice house in Fairfax VA available

Quote Originally Posted by Outpost75 View Post
    I moved out of Fairfax ten years ago. Could not afford to live there on my government and military retirement income. Moved to West Virginia where I can shoot in my yard and pee off my deck.
    Congrats on living the dream. Plenty of wonderful places in Ole Virginny, outside of NoVa, where that is a reality as well. My sincere condolences to anyone that has to live in the imperial province of NoVa.

Quote Originally Posted by JRB View Post
    These days, that's pretty much any metro area with a decent sized airport.

A friend of mine bought a house in Alexandria, VA's old town about 4 years ago. Similar homes in the exact same neighborhood are now selling hours after listing for 2-3x what he paid.
    I know of similar stories anecdotally all over the country - Texas, Colorado, Florida, etc.

Based on the Zillow Zestimate and Realtor dot com estimates, I could not afford to buy the house I just bought in 2020.
    Austin is going nuts - Kelly’s place has almost doubled in value in three years.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

Quote Originally Posted by JRB View Post
    These days, that's pretty much any metro area with a decent sized airport.

A friend of mine bought a house in Alexandria, VA's old town about 4 years ago. Similar homes in the exact same neighborhood are now selling hours after listing for 2-3x what he paid.
    I know of similar stories anecdotally all over the country - Texas, Colorado, Florida, etc.

Based on the Zillow Zestimate and Realtor dot com estimates, I could not afford to buy the house I just bought in 2020.
    And at least in AZ, there requirement of being near a metro area doesn't seem to apply.

My wife and I recently sold our mountain home in the north central part of AZ (2 hours from Phoenix - nearest place you could purchase gas or a quart of milk was 13 miles away). We had the home for 14 years and had annexed an adjoining acre and built a three car garage/shop in addition to the two car attached garage that was with the home when we purchased it.

The home was really nice, but nothing too fancy. And we took very, very good care of it.

Our three children have all grown up and have jobs, home, and careers of their own and have been unable to get up to spend much time with us over the past 3-4 years. And frankly, the appeal of the work and costs associated with maintaining two pretty fair-sized homes has lost appeal to me as I have grown older.

So we decided early this year to put it on the market and see if anyone had any interest in it during this summer. We put it on the market in mid-February and received a cash offer SIGNIFICANTLY above asking price in 36 hours. Buyers didn't even ask for a home warranty, and following a home inspection only requested a couple of minor things be addressed at essentially zero expense to us. They wanted to close escrow in mid-March, and we convinced them we needed a little more time. Closed on March 30.

I have lived here all my life except for a four year absence when I was in the military and another 5 years when my office was relocated to El Paso, TX. I have purchased and sold one home in TX, two homes in NM, and purchased 8 and sold 7 here in AZ.

I have never seen, or even imagined a market like exists today. When the "bust" comes (and it will), it's going to be epic.

I moved out of Fairfax ten years ago. Could not afford to live there on my government and military retirement income. Moved to West Virginia where I can shoot in my yard and pee off my deck.
    I can do that, about twenty minutes from Fairfax.
    #RESIST

Quote Originally Posted by 1911Nut View Post
    I have never seen, or even imagined a market like exists today. When the "bust" comes (and it will), it's going to be epic.
    I mean, isn't there a non-zero chance that it won't bust? How did Japan get to 100-year mortgages?

Quote Originally Posted by 1911Nut View Post
    I shoot every 1-2 weeks with a bunch of the junior guys/gals from my agency--evening-shift dispatchers, deputies, an investigator or sergeant or two, nobody with really more than five or six years. We litter the club lot with expensive pickups and muscle cars, sport bikes, etc. Lots of really nice to shitballs-expensive guns. Nobody's even remotely thinking of buying a house. There's some affordable areas in the county, but we know those streets.

Quote Originally Posted by Chain View Post
    I mean, isn't there a non-zero chance that it won't bust? How did Japan get to 100-year mortgages?
    I keep hearing that the market is cooling, the bust is coming, but it's not here yet. A guy I know sold his house on the day it listed, and is now behind the curve trying to find another.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    I can do that, about twenty minutes from Fairfax.
    You might be able to, but my tax bill is lots less than yours. 8-)

You might be able to, but my tax bill is lots less than yours. 8-)
    Fairfax is below the national average. The housing costs are high, but the tax rate certainly isn't...

...especially considering what you get for it here. The schools, infrastructure, and public services are excellent compared to most of the nation.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Well, who knew it'd get this much attention:

https://www.wusa9.com/article/news/l...QSrh7LxvKC_u38
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

User Tag List