Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Solo Stove Fire Pit?

Site Supporter

Solo Stove Fire Pit?

Does anybody have experience with the Solo Stove fire pits? I'm seriously considering one and they're having a sale right now. They're pricey but seem to be generally very well reviewed and the bundle pricing is a (relatively speaking) bargain as far as I can tell. For a variety of reasons, a more permanent, built in, one wouldn't work very well for me and I like the idea that these can be safely used on a deck. Before I drop that kind of money on it, I thought I'd see if anyone here has one and, if so, what you think.

My experience was sitting next one for a few hours. My observation was that it works as advertised. Very little smoke.

They don’t give off as much heat as say a chiminea, but are more portable and more clean/neat. I’ve got that chiminea I linked to, a buddy has the Solo. We both prefer the chiminea in the cold.
    #RESIST

I see those Solo stoves sitting on wood decks in many of the ads. Can you really do that without putting it on a riser of some sort?

Following.

I bought a Solo Stove Titan for camping a few months ago but haven’t used it yet because:reasons.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    They don’t give off as much heat as say a chiminea, but are more portable and more clean/neat. I’ve got that chiminea I linked to, a buddy has the Solo. We both prefer the chiminea in the cold.
    Do you think that could be used on a deck? I like that in terms of being able to see the fire.

Quote Originally Posted by JTQ View Post
    I see those Solo stoves sitting on wood decks in many of the ads. Can you really do that without putting it on a riser of some sort?
    That's supposed to be the deal, which is why I'm interested even at that price. I mean, it's pretty steep for a damn fire pit.

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    How is the smoke control with the chiminea relative to the solo stove? Low smoke would be a major selling point of the solo stove for me.

Yes, you can use a chiminea on a deck, mine is there now, albeit sitting on this fireproof mat. It doesn’t smoke bad and the smoke just comes straight out and up the chimney of it. Definitely more smoke, but it’s higher up than most people’s heads when sitting down and it emits more heat.

The Solo is more slick, portable, less smoke, etc. I like them, but prefer the chiminea for the heat and the spousal unit loves the looks of the chiminea.
    #RESIST

We got one last year, cant remember which model. It works pretty much like they say but IIRC it does like to be fully loaded to do its best work. We use it on our wooden deck with no problems. We don't use it nearly as much as we hoped to but not because there is anything wrong with it, we just don't take enough time to relax. We should have gotten a propane powered unit like we bought my parents.

There are DIY video's on how to build the smokeless fire pits/burn barrels, and that is my primary point. They are more burn barrels, then heating sources.

User Tag List