Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Anybody carry a J frame as second gun while hiking? How?

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Are your dogs snake trained, and has the dog fully recovered?
    Not trained, and he makes poor decisions, and the cost of one Colt Python later (anti-venom is not cheap) he is fine.

This was his second timber rattler bite, only about a 3' snake, first was a 54" monster, biggest I have ever seen, both within 50 yards of our house. Both froze and posed for me when I took the shot. The monster got a couple of rounds of flight control since that is what was in the Benelli at that moment.

If I found somebody who did the snake conditioning locally I would put him through it for sure.

Name:  bj and rattlers.jpg
Views: 317
Size:  94.2 KB

Is AIWB or AOWB feasible for you? Something like the Galco Hornet between the hip and belt buckle?

https://www.galcogunleather.com/horn..._8_1_1355.html

Quote Originally Posted by fatdog View Post
    ... we are in no shortage copperheads, moccasins, and timber rattlers. I don't go a year where I don't encounter several of each. Most survive the encounter unless they are within 200 yards of our house which is a designated no slither zone for the venomous types.
    Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Are your dogs snake trained, and has the dog fully recovered?
    My vet advertises a rattlesnake vaccine. I'm not sure what the viability is, though.
    "It's surprising how often you start wondering just how featureless a desert some people's inner landscapes must be."
    -Maple Syrup Actual

feasible, I took a timber rattler last summer with a .45 ACP after he had bitten one of my dogs, but more often than not they are not sitting perfectly still, static when the need arises. Shot improves the odds.

Two weeks ago I was wading a small stream, one of those where all the rocks you are crossing on are 6" bellow the water or less, but slippery. End of my crossing point there came a moccasin and I had his full attention. Options were, go back the way I came carefully, step off in water up to my knees or thighs and move on a diagonal line to get well clear of him, or pop him so I could continue, or sit there and wait him out (they can take 10 minutes or more to decide to move). I was not stable enough footing wise to trust myself with a .22 head shot in that situation.

I backed out, went off the trail and found another crossing point about 100 yards up stream. I spotted him from about 15' away and would probably make the same choice again, but had I been say within 7-8' of him when I had seen him with that less than stable footing, with the J frame I might have popped that sucker. Heck at that distance in that circumstance I might have dumped 9mm on him.

Having the airweight J with snakeshot is just a nice option to have. In central AL we are in no shortage copperheads, moccasins, and timber rattlers. I don't go a year where I don't encounter several of each. Most survive the encounter unless they are within 200 yards of our house which is a designated no slither zone for the venomous types.
    Got it. Thanks.

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Whitlock View Post
    My vet advertises a rattlesnake vaccine. I'm not sure what the viability is, though.
    This guy and my beagle mix have had it. Supposedly it only buys you time, not complete protection. I can say that this guy recovered nicely both times with a single dose of anti-venom and some steroids/fluids and was able to come home in less than 48 hours both times. Did the vaccine help? Dunno...I could be the victim of marketing on that front.

This guy and my beagle mix have had it. Supposedly it only buys you time, not complete protection. I can say that this guy recovered nicely both times with a single dose of anti-venom and some steroids/fluids and was able to come home in less than 48 hours both times. Did the vaccine help? Dunno...I could be the victim of marketing on that front.
    That sounds about right. Still need some intervention.
    "It's surprising how often you start wondering just how featureless a desert some people's inner landscapes must be."
    -Maple Syrup Actual

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Whitlock View Post
    Is AIWB or AOWB feasible for you? Something like the Galco Hornet between the hip and belt buckle?

https://www.galcogunleather.com/horn..._8_1_1355.html
    Perhaps, just other stuff in the way, I carry my spare magazine in a horizontal safariland 123 carrier just left of my belt buckle, carry a POM in an old nylon flashlight carrier just to the left just of that, so the available AIWB space is between the main gun at 3:00 and the belt buckle, I might try that.

... so the available AIWB space is between the main gun at 3:00 and the belt buckle, I might try that.
    That's kind of what I was envisioning. I've been thinking of something similar for my LCR or SP101 when I'm out at a private shooting spot.
    -Maple Syrup Actual

Site Supporter
    I'm right handed but often have used left holsters when out in the field. The idea was to have a handgun, and speed was not an issue. Also, for many years I carried the handgun in my back pocket in some sort of cheap holster. This method served a country boy well when dressed in over-all's which had generous size pockets. Has anyone mentioned carrying a staff or long "stick" like a cut down hoe handle? I would use this to beat the bushes with if I could not see where I was stepping. Serpents often flee as a result of disturbance. Once a 5 foot bull snake blocked my path and refused to move. I found a different route. In some areas snakes will be in bushes and trees.

While I am respectful of both, snakes scare me more than bears.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

In my experience "snake breaking" your dog with a GOOD trainer is worth every penny. With a shady trainer who is just pushing dogs through to collect the cash, it isn't worth the gas and probably a negative for dogs overall training as well.

I have heard mixed reviews on the "Rattlesnake vaccine" from several vets. I think the jury is still out. Same with quick administration or Benadryl for dogs. Some vets say it's a good idea. Others say it won't do anything. If anyone has more current info please let us know.

The CCI "blue" 9mm snake shot has worked well for me on snakes and patterns well enough (sample of 1 gun). It even cycles my G19.3. The CCI "red" Big Shot(#4) has been an abysmal performer on snakes for me. You would be better off with duty or training ammo or a butterfly net.

User Tag List