Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Anybody carry a J frame as second gun while hiking? How?

Anybody carry a J frame as second gun while hiking? How?

As I and my new knee have returned to the world of hiking, I am drawn to the places where I never see anybody, or rarely see anybody for many miles or hours. Of course I am armed but with a compact 9mm sidearm worn concealed in JMCK IWB#3 at 3:00 which works for me. However CCI 9mm snakeshot sucks, and not something I want to deal with.

I am pretty much live and let live with the venomous snakes out in the woods, but there have been timber rattler and water mocassin encounters already this spring where I had wished for a fast snakeshot option being present. The CCI .38 Special stuff works fine and carries very well in my old 642 with the TI cylinder, still well under a pound fully loaded, even with a rounds 3,4,5 being wadcutters for the bug role.

So the weight is very small but how to carry it is a question I am solving it if is going to come along. I would be comfortable using my Galgo ankle glove if this were a street application, but I cannot afford to be unbalanced below my waist level on any real hike at this stage of my ongoing knee rehab project. No coat or jacket present and I usually have a small day pack in place, so the traditional shoulder holster options are out for me. I need my pockets for other stuff and I would never drop one with a Mika holster into a pocket with anything else in that pocket. I will probably find a way to vacate a pocket for it if I have to, just wondering if others have found a carry option that works well for this purpose.

I am thinking cross draw, bellyband, or an sob type with a thumb snap worn as a cross draw, just wondering if those who do this regularly have found something that works really well for semi-strenuous outdoor stuff like trail work.

I use a hillpeople gear kit bag for primary and pocket my 642. I just take the things from my pocket and throw it in my kitbag as necessary.

Alternatively I’ve flirted with the idea of carrying my 642 at 9 o’clock on support side. Agree that ankle carry is not ideal for hiking.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    A57460
    CTC lasers : Pistols = ABS : automobiles

In that sitiutation I would carry it OWB at 9 o'clock.

Site Supporter
    When hiking in the past, I carried my 2nd gun, usually a LCP in my pocket. Now that I have an LCR, I am not sure I want to pocket carry while hiking. My main reason for having the second gun is that I don't want to leave it in the car to be stolen.

I have thought about unloading it and carrying it in my pack or OWB carrying the LCR and have the P-07 in a HPG bag.

Where I hike is very remote and I may go 10 hours without seeing a person.

In AZ, once April arrives, I hike with a J with the first two rounds of shot, every day.

Name:  4309D60B-D130-456E-AA95-FBC795910EAC.jpg
Views: 502
Size:  46.0 KB
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Site Supporter
    SmartCarry or pocket for the J while carrying primary on the belt or in a HPG chest bag. Could move the J to the hip with primary in HPG bag.

George’s solution is intriguing.

I'm in AZ as well and spend a bit of time in the back country.

I also keep the first two cylinders of a SW43C loaded with CCI snake shot. I carry the SW43C in either a JMCK appendix or HPG Kit Bag.

The CCI snake shot is surprisingly effective. I also carry a 22lr speed strip with extra snake shot or CCI MM in the Kit Bag or pack. For some reason if you run into 1 snake...you are very well apt to run into a couple more on the same trip. Not sure why.

Quote Originally Posted by Rocket20_Ginsu View Post
    I use a hillpeople gear kit bag for primary and pocket my 642. I just take the things from my pocket and throw it in my kitbag as necessary.

Alternatively I’ve flirted with the idea of carrying my 642 at 9 o’clock on support side. Agree that ankle carry is not ideal for hiking.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I also really like the HPG kit bag for trail running and hiking.

Mine usually carries a p365 xl, phone, keys and a couple other items that would normally be encumbrance on my legs and hips. These days I quite prefer to keep the weight off my hips to maximize fluidity and range of motion. It seems to afford me a more natural gait and just makes the experience more enjoyable.

I've had such a positive experience with the kit bag, I'm considering picking up their companion Tarahumara pack to carry fluids and manage clothing layers. This way you can wear a set of tearaway pants over a neon banana hammock and still be prepared for Red Dawn or a bear attack. In case of bears at intermediate ranges, you can rip off the pants and hold them up wide like one of those Frill-Necked Lizards. I'm thinking this may also work well with tourists.

Quote Originally Posted by strow View Post
    I'm in AZ as well and spend a bit of time in the back country.

I also keep the first two cylinders of a SW43C loaded with CCI snake shot. I carry the SW43C in either a JMCK appendix or HPG Kit Bag.

The CCI snake shot is surprisingly effective. I also carry a 22lr speed strip with extra snake shot or CCI MM in the Kit Bag or pack. For some reason if you run into 1 snake...you are very well apt to run into a couple more on the same trip. Not sure why.
    The times I have patterned 9mm snake shot, the holes in the middle of the pattern were problematic. Sounds like .22 patterns are better than 9mm. The .38 patterns well, but the .44 is almost shotgun good.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by frozentundra View Post
    ....considering picking up their companion Tarahumara pack .
    That has become my day pack, 3L Camelback inside, love it.

User Tag List