Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: And here I thought I'd never own a Walther P88...

Site Supporter
    I wish Sig had also combined the slide release and decocker.

Give you $650 for it. You make a profit!!

Last time I saw one, was a Pawn Shop in Austin. Was a full size with five mags and about 60% finish. The guy wanted $2200 for it back in 2009.

Interestingly enough, that gun was still there four months later. And still there six months later when the shop went under. I offered the guy $1100 for it (which was then a fair market price), but he refused, "I know what it's worth!" Guess it wasn't worth paying rent.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    Give you $650 for it. You make a profit!!

Last time I saw one, was a Pawn Shop in Austin. Was a full size with five mags and about 60% finish. The guy wanted $2200 for it back in 2009.

Interestingly enough, that gun was still there four months later. And still there six months later when the shop went under. I offered the guy $1100 for it (which was then a fair market price), but he refused, "I know what it's worth!" Guess it wasn't worth paying rent.
    Geez. $1100 was damn good offer. I almost bought a full-size P88—well worn—for like $800 on GB, this fall. I thought it was reasonable, esp. for GB.

Prices can be all over the place at these local joints. The place I bought this P88 occasionally has some screaming deals. They had a fairly pristine Sig P6 for $299 (which I bought the F out of) a few years ago. Today, I saw a commemorative Walther PP in the case for $1200–which is more or less what I’d expect for something like that. I guess the guy putting the tags on today actually knew what he was doing.

I also shot the it again. Because… it’s awesome. Didn’t clean it or put any more oil on it. Ran like a top. Not that that’s super impressive from a reliability standpoint, but the gun is so tight I half expected some kind of a break in period. It’ll hang up just out of battery if I ride the slide. And there’s basically zero play in the slide-to-frame fit.

Shot some nice tight groups… even though I’d had a lot of coffee… and I was shooting S&B, which has kind of a jerky, unpleasant recoil impulse, in my opinion.

Name:  4AFF296E-0F23-4012-A293-57101671A282.jpg
Views: 375
Size:  32.4 KB

This thing is kinda like my version of a high-dollar 1911.
    Last edited by MattyD380; 04-17-2022 at 12:08 AM.

Awesome find. I am very fond of the P 88 compact.

Yeah, you stole it-congratulations. They're superbly accurate guns. I owned a late-production one for a number of years; I liked it well enough, but never used it or actually carried it heavily. Be very careful with US cleaning and lubrication solvents with the grips; the German plastic Walther used is extremely susceptible to being weakened/softened/crystallization/cracking when exposed to many solvents that are common here. As I recall, Earl Sheehan at Earl's Repair Service specifically recommended Kleenbore's Formula 3 Gun Conditioner only, but I'll have to check my notes, and it might be worth a call to see what he currently recommends-or just get a set of Nill grips.

For carry, I had Kramer make one of their excellent horsehide holsters for it; I'm sure they can still make one for you if desired.

Best, Jon

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by JonInWA View Post
    Yeah, you stole it-congratulations. They're superbly accurate guns. I owned a late-production one for a number of years; I liked it well enough, but never used it or actually carried it heavily. Be very careful with US cleaning and lubrication solvents with the grips; the German plastic Walther used is extremely susceptible to being weakened/softened/crystallization/cracking when exposed to many solvents that are common here. As I recall, Earl Sheehan at Earl's Repair Service specifically recommended Kleenbore's Formula 3 Gun Conditioner only, but I'll have to check my notes, and it might be worth a call to see what he currently recommends-or just get a set of Nill grips.

For carry, I had Kramer make one of their excellent horsehide holsters for it; I'm sure they can still make one for you if desired.

Best, Jon
    Thanks, Jon.

I'm using Hoppes #9 solvent. But I'll make a point to keep it off the grips. And I'll check out the Kleenbore. If you've tried the Nills, do they add a lot of thickness to the grips? That said, I kinda like the feel--and the look--of the all-business black plastic.

The P9S is absolutely worth buying. There's no other pistol like it. If H&K is like Porsche (my opinion, many engineering parallels), the P9S is like a Carrera 2.7 RS. The P9S Target is like a Carrera 3.0 RSR. The P9S Sport Group is like the world-dominating Porsche 935.

The CZ 52 has a remotely similar operating mechanism in that they're both roller-locked. Leave it to "ze Germans" to take what was originally a 7.62 operating mechanism and decide to put it in a pistol. "Ja! Ziss vill be ze greatest pistol und all ze vorld!"

Name:  01---Ze-Germans.jpg
Views: 324
Size:  36.8 KB

Quote Originally Posted by MattyD380 View Post
    Thanks, Jon.

I'm using Hoppes #9 solvent. But I'll make a point to keep it off the grips. And I'll check out the Kleenbore. If you've tried the Nills, do they add a lot of thickness to the grips? That said, I kinda like the feel--and the look--of the all-business black plastic.
    I'll recommend taking off the grips before cleaning and lubing for anything other than Kleenbore Formula 3. Walther really used some plastics that were inherently compromised back in the day; I also had a P5C where the plastic filler piece that anchored the hammer strut crystallized and broke, breaking the hammer strut's anchor. That rendered the P5C immediately unfirable. I had Earl's replace with an new one, and then traded out of the gun. The standard P5 had the hammer strut anchored in a hanger on the receiver, so it was only a P5C issue.

I agree with the aesthetics of the OEM black plastic. The problem is that materially the plastic is crap, which can induce operational issues, which is a hard no go for me.

The plastic grips on the P1, P5, P5C and P88 that I owned all seemed to be of the same material composition. I replaced the OEM P5 grips with a Hogue rubber grip set on all of my P5s, which they initially manufactured at the behest of the Dutch National Police, as the OEM grip for their issue P5s.

I've never personally owned any Nill Grips, so I can't personally attest to their relative/comparitive thickness, but they seem to be very well regarded in Europe and over here by users. They're quite spendy, though.

Best, Jon
    Last edited by JonInWA; 04-18-2022 at 04:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sig_Fiend View Post
    If H&K is like Porsche (my opinion, many engineering parallels)
    The factories of HK and Porsche are only 50 miles apart. I've got some HKs but no Porsche. Which engineering parallels do you mean?
    BTW: I live about 200 miles away from the Porsche factory.

Quote Originally Posted by P30 View Post
    The factories of HK and Porsche are only 50 miles apart. I've got some HKs but no Porsche. Which engineering parallels do you mean?
    BTW: I live about 200 miles away from the Porsche factory.
    Often not compromising on engineering quality and precision. Then having product lines last for significant periods of time. In some cases, it's to the point of being a bit outdated and behind the curve in certain ways (well, more so in the 80s and 90s with certain models, not so much now), while still being perfectly viable and performant enough for most uses. I can go into more detail but don't want to derail the thread. Happy to do so over PMs if you'd like though!

User Tag List