Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I'm falling in love...

I'm falling in love...

With something stupid...

It started out like this:

Name:  0F4F1F43-16EB-4235-B3D2-90EA5DDC1B13.jpeg
Views: 891
Size:  58.4 KB

These No. 2 Enfields in .38-200 aka .38 Smith and Wesson are fun and use K-Frame speed loaders and holsters.

So...then came a couple of Jetloaders...

http://instagram.com/tv/CcWyYuJF46w/

Then started figuring out reloads...

148-grain WCs have to be seated pretty far out...

Name:  B51FB6FA-4405-4815-8F90-2B7BDC877C82.jpeg
Views: 906
Size:  55.5 KB

But also accuracy was inconsistent. Careful examination of the partridge front sight found it was slanted pretty bad to one side, where someone had tried to file it. Unfortunately, original front sights are Hen's Teeth rare. So, we need to improvise. I measured the partridge sight height and improvised...Gold bead? Pfft...try gold coin...A chunk out of a recent "gold" $1 coin formed my new sight. A little polish and hey look at that...we got some real old school vibes here...

Name:  9AC845E7-777C-4678-8C70-20DBD44281CD.jpg
Views: 909
Size:  35.4 KB

Name:  41859D75-D94D-4047-BFEF-AB36647579E6.jpeg
Views: 913
Size:  79.7 KB

Now, some challenges, .38 S&W supposedly runs out to about .360" instead of .357". But I've heard tale that was black powder guns. I upset a hollow based wadcutter to .362" and then used a brass cleaning rod and rubber mallet to slug my barrel - .358" lands and grooves! And my throats are dropping .358 as well. So, .357-.358 bullets should do.

Once I come up with a consistently accurate load I should be good. There is potential in .38 S&W, at least for Enfields/Webleys and solid frame revolvers. 125-grain bullets over nearly 4-grains of VV N330 is well within pressure spec and should push 1000fps from my 5" Enfield. What goes well with a 1000fps in a .38? Barnes 125-grain TAC-XPs in .357" that's what...

Thus the journey of a revolver resurrection has begun...

I blame @Flamingo for this, because I had this gun two years without firing it. And he convinced me to take it out and have fun with it...

I have a 125 gr bullet mold, we can cast some up to try them out.

I love it. Highly approve.

Montana Bullet Company will size bullets .358 for you. How's the trigger? My only recollection of Enfields is that the trigger pull was heavy.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

"Old soldiers never die..."

-Rainman

I have an old Iver Johnson revolver chambered in 38 Smith and Wesson. It's pretty janky and just sits around. I didnt think anyone shot that anymore.

Far Upper Midwest. Lower Midwest When I Absolutely Have To
    Simply smashing old boy!

You need a lanyard.
    Working diligently to enlarge my group size.

I have one of those Enfield rotators. Tons of fun. I also like the cartridge. I wish it were more available- I need to start reloading like OP.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Patridge
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Site Supporter
    Seller claims it is period correct-

https://www.ebay.com/itm/312549056399
    I am not your attorney. I am not giving legal advice. Any and all opinions expressed are personal and my own and are not those of any employer-past, present or future.

User Tag List