Thread: Smith&Wesson Chief's Special 9mm

Site Supporter

Smith&Wesson Chief's Special 9mm

I may go look at a S&W CS 9mm tomorrow. I've read a couple of Internet reviews that seemed good. I'm really interested in the "smooth" trigger action two of the review mentioned. I'm hoping this is something my wife with her severe arthritis can handle.
    This is also something of a two part question. I'm in Texas. What are the legal ramifications, or requirements to buying a handgun from an individual?. Am I legally required to register it? If so, with whom?

Quote Originally Posted by Bigguy View Post
    I may go look at a S&W CS 9mm tomorrow. I've read a couple of Internet reviews that seemed good. I'm really interested in the "smooth" trigger action two of the review mentioned. I'm hoping this is something my wife with her severe arthritis can handle.
    This is also something of a two part question. I'm in Texas. What are the legal ramifications, or requirements to buying a handgun from an individual?. Am I legally required to register it? If so, with whom?
    I can't speak to the Chief Special, but no, you're not required to register it with anyone if it's a private sale. If you know a friendly LEO, you might call and have him/her run the serial, though.
    Sheep Have Wool

You cannot register a handgun in Texas. There is no system to do that.

You are not required to go through a dealer and do a 4473 in Texas, either.

Aside from friends, I don't even know the names of people I buy guns from.

In my last womens only ccw class I had several ladies with arthritis issues.
    Glock 19 and S&W 640 w/soft rubber laser grips were the favorite guns for those with hand strength and pain issues.
    The CS9 is a nice pistol, but its pretty much identical in size to the Glock 19 (CS9 comes with really large rubber grips on it) and gives up a lot in capacity, accessories, parts and holster selection.
    The Glock and revolver are also simple to operate with triggers that are easy to gain proficiency with.
    No safeties, decockers or DA/SA transitions to deal with.
    The 640 with soft rubber laser grips, Apex trigger kit and loaded with full wadcutter 38 specials is a great defense gun for those with arthritis issues who probably wont be spending a lot of time at the range.
    Last edited by JodyH; 08-10-2012 at 11:50 AM.
    "For a moment he felt good about this. A moment or two later he felt bad about feeling good about it. Then he felt good about feeling bad about feeling good about it and, satisfied, drove on into the night."
    -- Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy --

Quote Originally Posted by JodyH View Post
    In my last womens only ccw class I had several ladies with arthritis issues.
    Glock 19 and S&W 640 w/soft rubber laser grips were the favorite guns for those with hand strength and pain issues.
    The CS9 is a nice pistol, but its pretty much identical in size to the Glock 19 (CS9 comes with really large rubber grips on it) and gives up a lot in capacity, accessories, parts and holster selection.
    The Glock and revolver are also simple to operate with triggers that are easy to gain proficiency with.
    No safeties, decockers or DA/SA transitions to deal with.
    The 640 with soft rubber laser grips, Apex trigger kit and loaded with full wadcutter 38 specials is a great defense gun for those with arthritis issues who probably wont be spending a lot of time at the range.
    The chiefs spec.is good to go. It was one of the first pistols that I carried concealed. My step dad still has it . There are lighter pistols but I don't know if they are any better. It was very reliable and you should be happy. Go for it..

User Tag List