Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Glock Bulge ?

The Glock Bulge ?

Getting a Glock 41 , I reload 45 Ammo. Nolsler 185 grain JHP 5.2 Tightgroup powder.
    Should I get an aftermarket barrel when using reloads in the Glock ?

If you are worried about the bulge, use a Lee Factory Crimp Die and a Lee Bulge Buster.

Site Supporter
    The Glock bulge was, to the best of my knowledge, pretty much limited to early versions of Glocks chambered in .40 S&W. I've never heard of it being an issue for those chambered in .45 ACP, or 9x19 for that matter.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Mitchum View Post
    Getting a Glock 41 , I reload 45 Ammo. Nolsler 185 grain JHP 5.2 Tightgroup powder.
    Why? That’s jacketed or plated bullets, right? You should be fine. What generation of G41?
    #RESIST

Gen 4, not looking for more accuracy just not sure if the stock barrel will bulge my shell casing

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Mitchum View Post
    No.

You do not need an aftermarket barrel.

I have loaded many tens of thousands of .45 rounds, shooting them through both stock .45 Glock barrels and a Jarvis.

I shoot extremely warm loads right now. 250 grain +P that do 925 in a 5" gun (can't recall the Glock velocity numbers). Anyways, I shoot them in a stock Glock barrel and have no issues. If you have the ability to produce safe handloads and use some common sense, you will have zero problems. I have been shooting Glock 21s since their introduction and have never had an issue that required the use of an aftermarket barrel. The Jarvis barrel I have is threaded and was used for a different project.

I have reloaded for my HK 45's for years and never had any problems with my reloads.
    Thanks to all who posted, I appreciate the help !!!!

I run 200 grain LSWC (+P load) that through a 5" 1911 barrel averages 980 FPS

Below is the +P 250 grain load at 925 FPS which actually duplicates the old .45 Colt revolver load that has proven so effective for over a century on everything from American Bison to large bears.

In both cases I use a 20# recoil spring.

Neither of these loads have issues with bulged cases. Both of these loads are absolutely +P loads.

That .45/250 +P is what I am usually carrying when I am hiking in Grizzly country.

Look at GJM’s thread about HK USP 45 Field Pistol.
    Also American Handgunner Tactical Annual, 2002 I think, had an article on MK23 and HK USP. 6000 rounds of .45 Super were fired through a stock HK USP 45 with no damage .45 Super is . 230 grain at 1100 fps. This is close to Elmer Keith’s old warm .44 Special loads (250gr. at 1100 - 1200 fps.

Quote Originally Posted by Lost River View Post
    I run 200 grain LSWC (+P load) that through a 5" 1911 barrel averages 980 FPS

Below is the +P 250 grain load at 925 FPS which actually duplicates the old .45 Colt revolver load that has proven so effective for over a century on everything from American Bison to large bears.

In both cases I use a 20# recoil spring.

Neither of these loads have issues with bulged cases. Both of these loads are absolutely +P loads.

That .45/250 +P is what I am usually carrying when I am hiking in Grizzly country.

Out of curiosity, where do you get those 250s? Or do you cast them yourself?
    Also have you ever loaded them in a non +p form, if that would even be possible?
    Planning on starting reloading for .45 once(or if) components start being available again, and was looking at what was out there beyond basic ball.

I've always been partial to heavy for caliber loadings.

User Tag List