Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: cheap-ish 870 Alert

cheap-ish 870 Alert

I visited the Woodbury MN Cabela's the day before yesterday and they had two parkerized 870 Wingmasters in the used rack. These were well-used older production and looked like PD trade ins. I was not able to inspect them other than a cursory exterior once-over.
    Both had 20" barrels with factory rifle sights, short or no magazine extensions, and were fitted with Magpul stocks & fore ends, one black, one FDE. Price for each was $350.
    (612)255-0000
    "If I ever needed to hunt in a tuxedo, then this would be the rifle I'd take." - okie john

"Not being able to govern events, I govern myself." - Michel De Montaigne

Waiting for them to call me back.
    Adding nothing to the conversation since 2015....

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Lehr View Post
    Waiting for them to call me back.
    Wouldn't let me edit.

Both Wingmasters.

Snagged them after a couple of starts and stops.

Wouldn't let me edit.

Both Wingmasters.

Virtual High Five, @Dan Lehr. Glad they are going to one of the merry crew.
    Last edited by Lex Luthier; 04-14-2022 at 04:50 PM.
    "If I ever needed to hunt in a tuxedo, then this would be the rifle I'd take." - okie john

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    With the Magpul furniture, that's not cheap-ish.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Wouldn't let me edit.

Both Wingmasters.

That is a great price for old Wingmasters. My rule before Sandy Hook was to purchase every Wingmaster or 870P in decent condition that was $300 or less. $350 today is less than $300 was worth back then.

I needed to find one to replace the one that perished in the RV trailer fire.

I enjoy fiddling with them and hopefully can make them look good with some moly-resin.

Thanks for the tip!

I needed to find one to replace the one that perished in the RV trailer fire.

I enjoy fiddling with them and hopefully can make them look good with some moly-resin.

Thanks for the tip!
    It would be great to see the project from start to finish.

Lex - I owe you a big debt of gratitude for putting the word out on those shotguns. I picked them up from Cabella's in Wichita today. Aside from having everyone in the store look at my ID and verify the serial numbers, everything went smoothly.

Kind of funny, I generally get online purchases that need a 4473 filled out through a local pawn shop. That guy can do it all by his lonesome, but today at Cabella's four folks scrutinized my paperwork.

Anyway, back to the shotguns. As you said they were both Wingmasters. The serial numbers are withing 50 digits of each other. The 'not official' serial number prefix indicates the receivers were made between 1984 and 1990. I'd guess closer to 1984 as neither shotgun has the flexi-tab lifter - haven't checked the bolts yet. To my knowledge, the flexi-tab was introduced on police shotguns in the 1984-1985 time frame, so that would date them early 1984 - unless someone has changed trigger plates. The rifle sighted barrel date codes both indicate either 1981 or 2007. So, I'm guessing they were re-barreled at some point.

One of the shotguns has a heavy/binding action, could be anything from a squeezed receiver to action bars, I'll figure it out when I take them down. Both show evidence of a lot of time in vehicle mounted shotgun racks.

I can also see the ejector rivets on both receivers. This isn't something I'd expect on 870's of that era. IDK if they'd been sent back to the factory to have ejectors replaced, or what. The rivets are finished consistent with the rest of the receiver.

As you posted they were $349.99 each. The Magpul stocks and forearm look almost new. Brownell's has them for $125ish for the kit, so IMO that alone makes these a super deal.

A lot of blathering about stuff is probably of no interest to anyone but me, LOL. Here's a picture of them at Cabella's. I'll post pictures of anything spectacularly wrong with them, and throughout the refinishing process.

Name:  Shotguns.jpg
Views: 505
Size:  94.5 KB

Always between two major rivers that begin with the letter "M."
    A lot of blathering about stuff is probably of no interest to anyone but me, LOL. Here's a picture of them at Cabella's. I'll post pictures of anything spectacularly wrong with them, and throughout the refinishing process.]
    I consider a good 870 to still be a pretty handy thing to have around, so I am interested.
    gn

"On the internet, nobody knows if you are a dog... or even a cat."

User Tag List