Thread: Lasers

Lasers

Or, an LCR with a frikkin laser beam attached to the grip. I've got a Novak "Mega Dot" front sight on my LCR, and a CTC grip that I basically stole. My problem is I don't find the grip to be particularly comfortable in the hand, and, in any kind of sunlight, it's invisible past ranges at which I won't need it. It's plenty visible indoors, of course, and the chances of me yanking this little critter out of my pocket on a bright sunshiny day are low.

So, what does the hive mind say? Leave it on but switched off when I'm out of doors, take it off and run the factory Tamers, or something else?

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by psalms144.1 View Post

Or, an LCR with a frikkin laser beam attached to the grip. I've got a Novak "Mega Dot" front sight on my LCR, and a CTC grip that I basically stole. My problem is I don't find the grip to be particularly comfortable in the hand, and, in any kind of sunlight, it's invisible past ranges at which I won't need it. It's plenty visible indoors, of course, and the chances of me yanking this little critter out of my pocket on a bright sunshiny day are low.

So, what does the hive mind say? Leave it on but switched off when I'm out of doors, take it off and run the factory Tamers, or something else?
    Leave it on and switched on. If you don't, when you need the laser itself, Murphy says that it'll be off.
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

I think there are at least two questions here:
    1. Is the grip acceptable? If you can’t shoot or conceal it well, that’s a dealbreaker.
    2. Is the laser distracting or somehow problematic when you’re using the sights? That might be solved by training, but I do find lasers annoying when I’m not using them to aim.

I like the green CT laser grip on my LCR9, except for how big it is. That is the only reason I don’t have it on the gun. If it were smaller, I’d use it and leave it turned on all the time.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

If you like the functionality of the laser I'd try some hockey tape and some razor-modified foam ear plugs and see if you can "fit" the grip w/o impending function.
    "Do nothing which is of no use." -Musashi

What would TR do? TRCP BHA

Site Supporter
    I believe it was SLG who posted that no accessory is worth compromising one's grip. If the grip does not work for you, take it off and switch to a grip that works.

If the grip is manageable for you, leave it on. Under the lighting conditions in which you are most likely to need the gun, the laser can be a big advantage.

I have Crimson Trace lasers on two tiny .380's, a tiny .32, and a 1911. I also tried a LaserGuard on a Glock 26, but ended up removing it after the first time I tried shooting with it.

Quote Originally Posted by psalms144.1 View Post

If you don't like the grip, sell it off and move on. If you like the factory LCR Hogue grip, Hogue makes them in "Laser Enhanced" lasergrip too. Green and red.

IMHO & YMMV.

Site Supporter
    I have the LaserMax laser on my LCR.
    I have had it for a few years and no issues with it yet, and i can use the stock LCR grips which I like.

The downside is finding holsters for it. I have ordered a few from a company called The Holster Store that work pretty good.

I can only speak from my own personal experience which is purely based around performance shooting, and personally, I don’t like lasers. The grips are too large for what I want my .38 LCR to do and I prefer to run my revolvers exactly like I do semi-autos (use the sights). For me, a laser can be annoying because it is floating around my sight picture. I think that you can get better, or at least equivalent, performance out of irons while using a more comfortable/concealable grip.

As far as defensive situations, I’ve got no idea. Not an area I pretend to know anything about. Does DaggaBoy run lasers?

There is only one situation in which I want a physical aiming “beam:” IR under NVGs, where I have no real “index” or sight picture.

For everything else, the solution is “train with your gun consistently enough to where it points close enough to your visual focus.” I’m already looking at a target; I don’t want to be looking “for” something else (that may or may not be visible) moving around on the surface of, or in the background beyond, my target.

Good irons give you an immediate visual reference while target focused. A good optic does the same with even less possible error, at the expense of seeing a bit more visible motion at the reticle.

The best laser in the world doesn’t do that, except in ideal conditions on an ideal surface, and all while maximizing the appearance your muscular tremors and body movement at range. If your index is a tiny bit off, the laser is off somewhere in the background where it likely cannot be seen. Meanwhile, irons or a proper optic will give you instant visual feedback about index problems in relation to a target AND instant confirmation when things are good enough.

Laser money is money better spent on range time, grips that fit, and maybe upgrades to iron sights where possible/needed.
    Well, you may be a man. You may be a leprechaun. Only one thing’s for sure… you’re in the wrong basement.

Site Supporter
    The front sight is blur for me unless I use my non dominate eye. Lasers or dots work for me. After using dots the laser wobble doesn’t bother me too much.

User Tag List