Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Bergara BMR bolt action rimfire rifles... Anyone have one?

Well, I ordered a Leupold VX-Freedom 3-9x33mm EFR tonight, along with some rings (Burris Signature, with the offset spacers), and another 5rd magazine. I'm not sure how fast the scope is going to show up, but I'm still waiting for my Form 4 to clear for the YHM Phantom that's gonna go on the muzzle, so I have time. I'd love to have everything in hand by the weekend to shoot it, but I'm sure the Feds, the shippers, and the rest of the stores will not cooperate on that.

I decided for my uses, for now, the EFR Loopy should be sufficient. If I hate it, I should be able to flip it and break even or not lose too much money (I got it for $360), or stick it on one of my other rimfires.

Thanks everyone for your suggestions and help.

I was at my local Walmart and they had CCI Standard Velocity. I bought some, but they limited me to 3 boxes. I went to the next nearest and bought 3 boxes there. Price is decent, so you might check your local Walmart for some.

Forgive the crappy pic, but I was excited that my scope showed up. Was able to mount it after dinner was done, right in the kitchen.

I think the 3-9X33 EFR Leupold was a good decision. It keeps the gun light and balanced, and looks proportional. The objective end of the scope does not turn with the focusing ring, so I should be able to get some flip caps for it, though the screw in Leupold aluminum caps are insanely priced now ($200 a set!). I used Burris Signature rings with the "0" offsets to start out with. I bore sighted it on the bricks of the shop behind my house (~15 yards), and it didn't take too much elevation to get it close. I'll see if I have issues with the 30 MOA slope base when I go to sight it in, I guess. I think offset Burris ring inserts will be cheaper than buying .030" shim stock somewhere. Not many local places carry the inserts, unfortunately. The brass part of a 5.56mm stripper clip is about .014", and I have those on hand, but I think some real stainless steel shim stock would be a better option, if needed.

Downside: I have commitments after work tomorrow, so I can't take it to the range and screw my currently-in-NFA-jail YHM Phantom on it for a spin... I'd be tickled pink if my Form 4 got approved soon (a bit over 90 days on an e-file now).

This should be a fun little varmint popper. I have not been this excited about a rimfire in probably 20 years.

I was at a gun show this weekend with a friend. He was looking for a Ruger Precision Rifle in .22lr. We saw a BMR and he was tempted. He didn't buy it but it was close. I also saw the BXR. I decided I was going to spend way more money upgrading the 10/22 I have instead of buying a nicely set up gun for less. These Bergara's are nice guns.
    Last edited by DamonL; 04-26-2022 at 11:48 AM.

So today I went to my favorite indoor range, to sight in the Leupold, and visit my YHM can that is in NFA jail. All rounds fired through the suppressor. My rough bore sight got me pretty close at 25 yards (max available at this range). 3 rounds of CCI Blazer, fired quickly, to start out.

I dialed in some elevation and windage to get a good zero, then shot a few groups. The pistol range benches are not the best shape/size for great precision shooting form, but I made due, shooting over my pistol range bag as a rest. I shot a few rounds each of CCI Blazer, CCI Subsonic HP, CCI Standard, and some Federal HV Match. Here are two five round groups of the CCI Subsonic HP:

All of the groups were similar size. 25 yards isn't an ideal distance to try to pick out a precision load for a .22 rimfire, but I believe with a proper bench and good ammo, this rifle is easily ten shots under a dime at 50yards. I'm excited to try to stretch it out. I also cant wait to get that can out of jail... its absurdly quiet with standard velocity/subsonic ammo. The bullet hitting the paper target and the backstop was louder than the report. I should have bought a rimfire can years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by WDR View Post
    The pistol range benches are not the best shape/size for great precision shooting form
    Had to laugh, as I was reminded of having the same experience when I first got my BMR.

But at a proper rifle range, with a solid bench and steady bags . . . and match ammo . . . this happened at 100 yds.:

Name:  Bergara BMR 100-yd 01-29-22.jpg
Views: 496
Size:  46.6 KB

That is a very impressive group for a .22 at 100 yards. Nice work.

Made it to a different range today. A place with a more rifle friendly bench. No suppressor this time. Shot some groups at 50 yards with various ammo, but CCI Subsonic HP stands out again:

5 rounds:

10 rounds:

This particular range is "indoor" but the last 25 yards of the bays are open air, with only walls and baffles, so the wind was flapping the target, hung from the overhead trolley, and not stapled to a solid backer. I tried to time my shots in the lulls of the breezes as the target moved in the wind, but I think that may have something to do with the vertical dispersion. Some of it may just be the nut behind the butt. Either way, it looks like she shoots pretty decent with a couple different types of CCI ammo. I may track down some SK or Wolf target ammo, just for fun.

ETA: I just found out my brother bought a BMR... and a BXR... the scoundrel.
    Last edited by WDR; 05-05-2022 at 10:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by WDR View Post
    Made it to a different range today. A place with a more rifle friendly bench. No suppressor this time. Shot some groups at 50 yards with various ammo, but CCI Subsonic HP stands out again:

5 rounds:

10 rounds:

This particular range is "indoor" but the last 25 yards of the bays are open air, with only walls and baffles, so the wind was flapping the target, hung from the overhead trolley, and not stapled to a solid backer. I tried to time my shots in the lulls of the breezes as the target moved in the wind, but I think that may have something to do with the vertical dispersion. Some of it may just be the nut behind the butt. Either way, it looks like she shoots pretty decent with a couple different types of CCI ammo. I may track down some SK or Wolf target ammo, just for fun.

ETA: I just found out my brother bought a BMR... and a BXR... the scoundrel.
    Nice shooting!

My CZ loves the CCI Sub also. But recently discovered Lapua Center-X. It really loves those. If you haven't already, might give them a try.

Group at Bullseye is CCI subsonic, five shots, 40 yards. The hole at the number 5 position near the top of the target is also five shots at 40 yd but this time it is the Lapua.

Name:  20220503_190715.jpg
Views: 431
Size:  36.6 KB

A couple weeks ago I took my 10/22 out to the range and tried to shoot for groups...and quickly realized that the gun was throwing things all over, not me, and I wanted to eliminate that variable. So, I bought a Bergara B14R. I ordered an Arken 5-25x scope for it (mainly to make sure it's good, and if it is I'll buy another to put on my Sig Cross that the Bergara is basically a trainer for)...but couldn't wait for that anymore, so I put a Nikon P-Rimfire 2-7x on the Bergara, cleaned it up, loaded mags with Eley Club 22lr, and took it to the range. The suppressor on it is a Dead Air Mask, and all rounds were fired with it on.

The first 50 were to zero it - first 5 were to get it to an aiming point, next 5 were to make sure I got it, the following 40 rounds were all fired again to see if things were good, then I started shooting 10 round groups.

All of this was at 50 yards.

Preface: I am not a good rifle shot; it's literally been decades since I sat down and tried to be "precise"...but damn if the Bergara doesn't make me look better than I am

Name:  IMG_1628.jpg
Views: 316
Size:  100.8 KB

Name:  IMG_1623.jpg
Views: 312
Size:  83.8 KB

Name:  IMG_1636.jpg
Views: 315
Size:  85.3 KB

I'm a believer...I might even pick up a centerfire now, jeeze..

User Tag List