Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Question about converting a CA compliant magazine to full capacity

Question about converting a CA compliant magazine to full capacity

Hey guys, a buddy of mine has an EAA Witness PL Pavona 9mm that he bought for his wife and he's trying to find anywhere that sells magazines because the pistol only came with just one. The manufacturer's site says the 13-round magazines are out of stock and nobody seems to know wen they will come available again and out of all the 15 or 20 sites I found that sells that magazine, they all say out of stock and some even say out of stock with no backorder so, there is an alternative magazine for this pistol but its only a 10-round so it can be legal in those states that have a 10-round limit.

I found a video on YouTube where a guy took a Colorado-compliant 15-round magazine for an AR15, took the short spring and spacer out and replaced it with a new full-length spring and converted it back to a 30-round magazine so, would it be safe to essentially do the same thing with one of these 10-round magazines for this pistol being that the full capacity magazine is only 13 rounds? I guess the 10-rounder could possibly have a little bit shorter spring than the other one but would it really be enough to matter being that its only for another three rounds of already-small diameter 9mm? I told him to just get one, take it and the original mag apart, compare the springs and even if the other spring is in fact a tiny bit shorter to just take the spacer out, put it back together, load it up and try it and if it has feeding issues on either of the last three shots then maybe he'd just have to leave it as it came and hope some day they'll have a restock of the 13-round magazines.

Quote Originally Posted by corneileous View Post
    Hey guys, a buddy of mine has an EAA Witness PL Pavona 9mm that he bought for his wife and he's trying to find anywhere that sells magazines because the pistol only came with just one. The manufacturer's site says the 13-round magazines are out of stock and nobody seems to know wen they will come available again and out of all the 15 or 20 sites I found that sells that magazine, they all say out of stock and some even say out of stock with no backorder so, there is an alternative magazine for this pistol but its only a 10-round so it can be legal in those states that have a 10-round limit.

I found a video on YouTube where a guy took a Colorado-compliant 15-round magazine for an AR15, took the short spring and spacer out and replaced it with a new full-length spring and converted it back to a 30-round magazine so, would it be safe to essentially do the same thing with one of these 10-round magazines for this pistol being that the full capacity magazine is only 13 rounds? I guess the 10-rounder could possibly have a little bit shorter spring than the other one but would it really be enough to matter being that its only for another three rounds of already-small diameter 9mm? I told him to just get one, take it and the original mag apart, compare the springs and even if the other spring is in fact a tiny bit shorter to just take the spacer out, put it back together, load it up and try it and if it has feeding issues on either of the last three shots then maybe he'd just have to leave it as it came and hope some day they'll have a restock of the 13-round magazines.
    It depends. Some reduced capacity mags (SIG 229, for example, see below) have a shorter metal tube with a reeally thick 'baseplate':

https://gregcotellc.com/cart/images/...0MGP22810B.jpg

It just depends on how they went about reducing the capacity.

If you have a full length tube, then you get to worry about the spring :-)

Quote Originally Posted by whomever View Post
    It depends. Some reduced capacity mags (SIG 229, for example, see below) have a shorter metal tube with a reeally thick 'baseplate':

https://gregcotellc.com/cart/images/...0MGP22810B.jpg

It just depends on how they went about reducing the capacity.

If you have a full length tube, then you get to worry about the spring :-)
    I just ordered for him, three of those magazines and on the screen, they look to be the same size so if they're not, he said its only three less rounds so if it don't work, its fine.

Nevermind, misread.
    Last edited by 4RNR; 04-13-2022 at 09:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 4RNR View Post
    Isn't it just a witness mag?

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk
    Yeah but there's a compact large frame mag for the witness and there's a compact small frame mag for it but after using the magazine lookup tool on EAA's website via the serial number of the gun, the two mags it calls for are the compact small frame.

Im not sure at all what the difference is because at first I thought the small frame meant compact and the large frame meat full-size but they both said compact so, I have no idea.

Have you tried any CZ mags to see if they would work?

Glock Collective Assimile Suvorov's Avatar
    Escapee from the SF Bay Area now living on the Front Range of Colorado.
    Almost all “factory” 10 round magazines I have come across are not easily convertible back to original capacity. They usually incorporate shorter tubes with a longer plastic base, or have large dimples stamped into the body that would prevent the body from accepting any more ammo and basically be impossible to modify. Some older magazines do have modified followers that block the magazine from accepting more than 10 rounds but I have not seen any factory magazines made that way since the 1990. California law states that any conversion to 10 round from higher capacity must be *PERMANENT* and lists several examples of how this can be accomplished. Many companies will offer 10 round limited magazines for sale in Kalifornia and most of these can be converted back even though they are supposed to. Basically just one more example of the futility of it all.
    Last edited by Suvorov; 04-14-2022 at 11:39 AM. Reason: Not long follower, long base

Quote Originally Posted by BN View Post
    Have you tried any CZ mags to see if they would work?
    Didn’t know those CZ mags had a potential of fitting….

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Suvorov View Post
    Almost all “factory” 10 round magazines I have come across are not easily convertible back to original capacity. They usually incorporate shorter tubes with a longer plastic follower, or have large dimples stamped into the body that would prevent the body from accepting any more ammo and basically be impossible to modify. Some older magazines do have modified followers that block the magazine from accepting more than 10 rounds but I have not seen any factory magazines made that way since the 1990. California law states that any conversion to 10 round from higher capacity must be *PERMANENT* and lists several examples of how this can be accomplished. Many companies will offer 10 round limited magazines for sale in Kalifornia and most of these can be converted back even though they are supposed to. Basically just one more example of the futility of it all.
    Good to know. I’ve never done this before because I’ve never needed to but after watching that video on YouTube, I was just like, is it really that easy?… Lol. But then again, in relation to what you said, this was a Colorado compliant magazine that the guy was converting from a 15 round back to a 30 round in his AR so I have no idea if Colorado shares that same law California does about saying the 10 round conversion has to be made permanent but like I said last night, he ordered three of the 10 round magazines so when they come in I told him we’ll just have to take one of them apart and see if it’s just as simple as removing a spacer or if there’s a whole lot more involved converting it back to a 13 round magazine to which he said, if it don’t work, it’s only short three rounds and I’ll have three more magazines.… Lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Site Supporter
    If I understand correctly, small frame vs large frame refers to those dimensions that mean one frame is appropriate for cartridges of 9x19 length, while the large frame is appropriate for cartridges .45 ACP/10mm/.38 Super length.

I’ve not stayed in a Holiday Inn Express recently, though, so that could all be a complete misunderstanding.

User Tag List