Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Question about converting a CA compliant magazine to full capacity

Quote Originally Posted by Duelist View Post
    If I understand correctly, small frame vs large frame refers to those dimensions that mean one frame is appropriate for cartridges of 9x19 length, while the large frame is appropriate for cartridges .45 ACP/10mm/.38 Super length.

I’ve not stayed in a Holiday Inn Express recently, though, so that could all be a complete misunderstanding.
    That could very well be but that’s what had me confused was that one of them was a compact small frame 9 mm and the other one was for a compact large frame 9 mm…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by corneileous View Post
    That could very well be but that’s what had me confused was that one of them was a compact small frame 9 mm and the other one was for a compact large frame 9 mm…

And we can chamber 9x19 in 1911s, and they function with modified magazines, so ...

Well, my buddy got his magazines in but I guess he hasn’t yet had a chance to tear one of them apart just to see what limits them to 10 rounds but he did say that the one he loaded was a lot harder to put the 10th round in than it was to put the 13th round in the original magazine so does that mean that hopefully the spring is probably the same length as the one in the 13 rounder? He said he was going to take one of his magazines apart this weekend and compare them so we’ll see ultimately what exactly is in there that limits the magazines to 10 rounds.

That goes back to what Suvorov said; a magazine built to absolutely positively not hold 11 will be hard to load the 10th in. It will be difficult to impossible to get in the gun under a closed slide after you cram in that 10th round, too.
    Code Name: JET STREAM

Well guys, I thought I should share that I finally got a chance to look at one of those three reduced capacity magazines that my buddy had to buy and to be honest, they weren’t really all that hard to delete the 10 round restriction. All they did to restrict them was about an inch up from the bottom of the slide on the front and the back, they put this little dimple in the sheet metal that actually prevented the follower from going all the way down to the bottom of the magazine so all I had to do was shave away a little bit of the plastic on the front and the back of the follower so now it just goes right past those two little dimples and goes all the way to the bottom. The spring was exactly the same length as it was in the unrestricted magazine.

I only did the one magazine so hopefully if he lets me modify the other two I’ll try to take pictures of what I had to do.

Interesting, that would not have passed BATF scrutiny during AWB 1994-2004.
    Code Name: JET STREAM

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Watson View Post
    Interesting, that would not have passed BATF scrutiny during AWB 1994-2004.
    Really? Hmm… I didn’t think the Federal Assault Weapons Ban included pistols but since this was back in a time where I had no interest in guns at all, did the FAWB include pistol magazines over a certain amount of rounds?

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by corneileous View Post
    Really? Hmm… I didn’t think the Federal Assault Weapons Ban included pistols but since this was back in a time where I had no interest in guns at all, did the FAWB include pistol magazines over a certain amount of rounds?

Yes. All new detachable magazines for pistols and rifles were limited to 10 rounds. You could still buy standard capacity used magazines for pistols or rifles provided they were manufactured before 1994.

ETA: this is a big reason that the 1911 saw a surge in popularity from the mid 90’s into the early 2000’s.

Quote Originally Posted by Caballoflaco View Post
    Yes. All new detachable magazines for pistols and rifles were limited to 10 rounds. You could still buy standard capacity used magazines for pistols or rifles provided they were manufactured before 1994.
    Yeah, and I’m sure none of that did any good for helping against crime, did it?… LOL. I guess we should consider ourselves awful lucky that they decided to do away with it.
    ETA: this is a big reason that the 1911 saw a surge in popularity from the mid 90’s into the early 2000’s.
    I guess it’s all within the matters of ballistics but a typical 1911 loaded with 9 or 10 rounds of 45 ACP is probably just as affective, if not maybe a little bit more than a Glock 17 with 20 rounds of 9 mm unless you find yourself in an actual gun fight where you need all 20 of those rounds.

Quote Originally Posted by Duelist View Post
    If I understand correctly, small frame vs large frame refers to those dimensions that mean one frame is appropriate for cartridges of 9x19 length, while the large frame is appropriate for cartridges .45 ACP/10mm/.38 Super length.

I’ve not stayed in a Holiday Inn Express recently, though, so that could all be a complete misunderstanding.
    This is incorrect. The Tanfoglio Small Frame is pretty much a CZ75 clone. Many CZ75 parts fit, such as magazines.

The Tanfoglio Large Frame is what almost all the Tanfos imported into the US use, regardless of caliber. It is beefed up and stretched out to allow for 10mm, .45, .38 super, etc. But can also be had in 9mm and .40 like the Small Frames. It uses totally different magazines and all different internal parts from a CZ75.

I am 95% sure that any CZ75 magazine should fit your friends' gun. Compact mags may not due to the baseplate being different, and it may not lock back on the last round due to the follower being different, although I suspect that you wouldn't have any issues in these areas either.

User Tag List