Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Enclosed emitter, easier for newbs?

Enclosed emitter, easier for newbs?

Just something I was thinking about and wondered if it may be the case or if I’m way off base.

Are enclosed emitter pistol red dots any easier for people new to red dots on handguns to acquire the dot than open emitter?

Just thought maybe looking through a “tube” may make it quicker to find the dot when you’re starting out with them, or am I completely full of it, which is probably the case. Lol

Quote Originally Posted by Vista461 View Post
    Just something I was thinking about and wondered if it may be the case or if I’m way off base.

Are enclosed emitter pistol red dots any easier for people new to red dots on handguns to acquire the dot than open emitter?

Just thought maybe looking through a “tube” may make it quicker to find the dot when you’re starting out with them, or am I completely full of it, which is probably the case. Lol
    No different for me. Larger display windows with minimal framing are best for me in this regard.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

I don’t think enclosed vs open emitter makes enough of a difference to even factor that into the decision.

Everyone is different but I don't see why it would help.

Might be an issue with something like the 509 and its amount of distortion. But I guess that's also true, more or less, for the RMR.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

No noticeable difference for me when I was making my transition to the dot.

In theory, a closed emitter might be easier to learn with since you are looking through a tube, making it easier to center the dot… BUT… I think it will teach bad habits in the long run. I think One of the main thing with learning to shoot pistol red dots is acquiring muscle memory. First couple hundreds of presentations on target, you’ll be hunting for the dot, but eventually, you’ll learn the proper grip, and it will come naturally. If you are learning with a closed emitter, you might focused on putting the dot in the center of the tube, and not focusing on the target. These are just my thoughts though.

No difference, and I believe that thinking that way could be counterproductive. You're not looking through anything, or centering anything within anything. You're looking at the target and working up your index so the dot appears over where you're looking at. I get somewhat disappointed if can discern details of dot's frame. If I do things right, I can't really say if I am shooting through open or closed unit.
    Doesn't read posts longer than two paragraphs.

Probably the fastest way to get comfortable with a dot equipped handgun is to put a piece of masking tape over the target side of the window. This forces the shooter to keep both eyes open and make the eyes work in concert.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Site Supporter
    In theory enclosed emitters / tube type optic can help those still learning to acquire the dot during presentation as the “scope shadow” of the optic body helps orient them as to the misalignment on the same way the large outer circle of the Holosun ACSS would.

In reality, for those transitioning from irons, I think there is more value in occluded shooting (tape) drills and then running RDS only (no BUIS crutch) for a period of time.

User Tag List