Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How much factory ammo do you have?

Quote Originally Posted by Bart Carter View Post
    I don't have any ammo. I lost it all with the guns that went down in the boating accident.
    I feel your pain!

Site Supporter
    If you continue to lose ammo in the rivers and lakes, the Environmental Protection Agency will ban ammo to protect the fish from pollution or the effects of swallowing the rounds. Also, fishermen and bears will blow up when they catch them.

Think about it. Ahem!

I've got about a year-and-a-half-worth of my 9mm reloads at my current rate of shooting. I have maybe a third as much factory FMJ, left over from before I reloaded. I don't think I've purchased factory FMJ since 2015 or so. I really only shoot factory now at level II or III USPSA matches.

FIFY

Quote Originally Posted by Rick R View Post
    I have enough factory 9mm and 5.56mm ball in the trunk of my car to give most media outlets the vapors.
    Probably applies to most of us.

Site Supporter
    To the question. I try to maintain 500 rounds of my major calibers and buy enough for monthly matches. I do watch for sales (when they did occur) and stock up.

Quote Originally Posted by Oldherkpilot View Post
    Do you want my Social Security Number along with that info?[emoji16]
    I’ve already got that, but feel free to send your PIN [emoji3]

I’m just curious as before the pandemic, I probably had 200 rounds of factory 9mm, and didn’t care cuz I had a couple of years of supplies. Last year I signed up for a class and needed 1000 rounds of factory and I 1) couldn’t find it and 2)couldn’t stomach the price. Between the cost of the class and travel related expenses an extra $500-$600 was really going to hurt. I ended up scrounging up about 700 rounds of factory from my local range that had 9mm ball for $17.99, limit 1. I bought one box per week when I went to range and brought it home to add to the stash. Ended up running my “match” reloads along with the factory with no issues. I didn’t know how strict the factory ammo rule would be, but it ended up being a moot point.

After that, I’ve made it a point to have a few rounds of factory. I just ordered some 6.5 Creedmoor factory ammo to diagnose reliability issues I’m having with a large frame build.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "I'm a tactical operator and Instructor and also retired military."

-read on another forum

Quote Originally Posted by richiecotite View Post
    I’ve already got that, but feel free to send your PIN [emoji3]

I’m just curious as before the pandemic, I probably had 200 rounds of factory 9mm, and didn’t care cuz I had a couple of years of supplies. Last year I signed up for a class and needed 1000 rounds of factory and I 1) couldn’t find it and 2)couldn’t stomach the price. Between the cost of the class and travel related expenses an extra $500-$600 was really going to hurt. I ended up scrounging up about 700 rounds of factory from my local range that had 9mm ball for $17.99, limit 1. I bought one box per week when I went to range and brought it home to add to the stash. Ended up running my “match” reloads along with the factory with no issues. I didn’t know how strict the factory ammo rule would be, but it ended up being a moot point.

After that, I’ve made it a point to have a few rounds of factory. I just ordered some 6.5 Creedmoor factory ammo to diagnose reliability issues I’m having with a large frame build.
    I think I'll keep the pin and send you the grenade!😁 Regards the factory ammo requirement, I've asked several trainers if there was any give in that policy and have found most don't care if you're rolling your own. They didn't want gunshow reloads. Can't speak for all of them, of course, but the answer is always "no" if you dont ask.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The only time I went to an organized school (TDI) their policy (at the time, 2006) was that they didn't care if you shot your reloads in your gun, but if they didn't work and it was disruptive they were going to ask you to step off and do something different.

These days might be a bit of don't ask, don't tell. If your gun is functioning would they inspect your rounds?

Quote Originally Posted by Rick R View Post
    I have enough factory 9mm and 5.56mm ball to give most media outlets the vapors.
    I know what you mean. It might even make them a little verklempt.

User Tag List