Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Winchester 10mm 175gr Silvertip in Vyse Ballistics Gel.

Winchester 10mm 175gr Silvertip in Vyse Ballistics Gel.

Test Gun: Glock 20
    Barrel length: 4.9 inches.
    Ammunition: Winchester 10mm 175gr Silvertip JHP (W10MMST)
    Test media: 10% Vyse Ballistics Gel
    Distance: 10 feet.
    Chronograph: Caldwell Ballistic Precision Chronograph G2.
    Five shot velocity average: 1160fps
    BB Calibration: inches. 4 inches

https://general-cartridge.com/2022/0...ballistics-gel
    We could isolate Russia totally from the world and maybe they could apply for membership after 2000 years.

We carried the 10mm Silvertip when it was introduced (mid 90’s?). It kills injured deer quite well, but it’s seriously old tech.

I await your test of the 10mm Hex-Vent.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick R View Post
    We carried the 10mm Silvertip when it was introduced (mid 90’s?). It kills injured deer quite well, but it’s seriously old tech.

I await your test of the 10mm Hex-Vent.
    It may be old tech but three quarters of an inch expansion and 12 to 15 inches of penetration is pretty darn good.
    We could isolate Russia totally from the world and maybe they could apply for membership after 2000 years.

Glock Collective Assimile Suvorov's Avatar
    Escapee from the SF Bay Area now living on the Front Range of Colorado.
    Thanks,

This was my 10mm ammo for years before switching to the 180 XTP. It took one decent sized whitetail doe in the late 90s with minimal trail, never had to use it against something attacking me (thankfully). Still have a few boxes around.

Quote Originally Posted by 5pins View Post
    It may be old tech but three quarters of an inch expansion and 12 to 15 inches of penetration is pretty darn good.
    Oh yeah, it works. I just think the 10mm can be better.

Lol

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by 5pins View Post
    Your average velocity is 130 fps less than advertised, but I question whether or not it would perform "better" at that speed. Although, higher velocity might be advantageous in hunting where shots of 40 yards or more are likely or the hunting regulations require a certain minimum foot-pounds of energy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RmNL30om6Eo

As someone who dated 10mm guns for a long time, then broke up for good, I'd point out if the end goal is to get the standard FBI performance of 1.5x expansion and 12" to 18" of penetration, I'd suggest the 10mm Auto cartridge is a less than optimal way to get there.

Where the 10mm Auto cartridge shines in my opinion is the theoretical ability to launch heavy for caliber bullets at higher velocities for use in the woods as a field gun where one might be hunting or defending ones self against toothy critters. Actually realizing that with three different Glock 20 generations has been problematic for me personally.

Loads like the Silvertip are great for when you going back and forth from your back country adventures and passing through towns and such.
    I was into 10mm Auto before it sold out and went mainstream, but these days I'm here for the revolver and epidemiology information.

I spent close to a decade with a 10mm Colt as my only pistol. I like .40 S&W bullets and ballistics for anti-personnel use, and the more powerful stuff for field and bowling pin use.

I've got a box of Silvertip in the back of the ammo closet next to some Hydra-Shock - I'm sure it'll get the job done, but I'm also sure that the more modern choices will give superior performance.
    Per the PF Code of Conduct, I have a commercial interest in the StreakTM product as sold by Ammo, Inc.

Glock Collective Assimile Suvorov's Avatar
    Escapee from the SF Bay Area now living on the Front Range of Colorado.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lester Polfus View Post
    Loads like the Silvertip are great for when you going back and forth from your back country adventures and passing through towns and such.
    That’s pretty much where I am with my old silvertips and current XTPs. The 10mm is a compromise on both ends in terms of desired performance, but is able to cover both ends.

User Tag List