Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Mass Shooting in NY Subway

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    Attachment 87399

https://nypost.com/2022/04/13/afghan...ooting-victim/

Afghanistan vet relives moment he helped NYC subway shooting victim
    I suspected that was a veteran when I saw the footage as he pressed his knee into the area for direct pressure while applying the improvised tourniquet. Good on him.

The NYC medical and trauma teams need high praise. The fact that the shooter did a 33 round mag dump into a tube full of people, with zero casualties, indicates several things. One of them being quick access to medical and the willingness of citizens to lend a hand was key.
    Taking a break from social media.

I am glad they caught the guy. Now we will just wait a decade for a bunch of appeals and be told it is so sad because he had X, Y, and Z happen to him when he was a kid. So now we should feel sorry for him. Oh and somewhere along the line the cops handled him too roughly.

Kooks are going to kook.

It's often suggested that ideals make kooks do evil kook thing, but I tend to suspect that the kooks just look for something to give them license to do the evil things.
    Don't really matter too much what it is.
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

Quote Originally Posted by RJ View Post
    Really makes me think the priority of carrying a decent IFAK or stop the bleed kit might be a bit higher than it used to be.
    Thanks to the motivation of this thread, I finally got around to putting together my IFAK/stop the bleed kit. Includes among other stuff: CAT TQ, Combine pad; an H&H, OLEAS, pair trauma sheers, Celox Rapid Z-fold 1"x5' (expiration 2/23), gloves. It's in a 4"x6" Red zip pouch which I placed in the driver's side door pocket in my truck. Do you see anything missing? I might throw in a disposable mask, things being what they are these days.

My last TQ training / first aid class was in February, as part of a 16 hour hands-on civilian community emergency responder course (CERT training). Good practice but hope I never have to use this.

Name:  IMG_0731.jpg
Views: 443
Size:  98.5 KB

On topic: Glad they caught this a-hole.

I was just riding to a basic CCW class with a former EMT (we took the class together—more on that in another thread at some point). Based on that discussion, I’d add the mask.

On my end, since it’s a kit leaning towards invasive trauma, maybe 2x chest seals?

https://www.rescue-essentials.com/asherman-chest-seal/
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by RJ View Post
    Thanks to the motivation of this thread, I finally got around to putting together my IFAK/stop the bleed kit. Includes among other stuff: CAT TQ, Combine pad; an H&H, OLEAS, pair trauma sheers, Celox Rapid Z-fold 1"x5' (expiration 2/23), gloves. It's in a 4"x6" Red zip pouch which I placed in the driver's side door pocket in my truck. Do you see anything missing? I might throw in a disposable mask, things being what they are these days.

My last TQ training / first aid class was in February, as part of a 16 hour hands-on civilian community emergency responder course (CERT training). Good practice but hope I never have to use this.

Name:  IMG_0731.jpg
Views: 443
Size:  98.5 KB

On topic: Glad they caught this a-hole.
    My only suggestion would be a couple disposable space blankets. Hypothermia is an under appreciated threat to trauma patients, even in hot weather. My understanding is there is correlation data regarding the body temperature of trauma victims when they reach higher care and their survival rates.

@TGS could speak to this in more detail.

Quote Originally Posted by Totem Polar View Post
    I was just riding to a basic CCW class with a former EMT (we took the class together—more on that in another thread at some point). Based on that discussion, I’d add the mask.

On my end, since it’s a kit leaning towards invasive trauma, maybe 2x chest seals?

https://www.rescue-essentials.com/asherman-chest-seal/
    I have a strong preference for HALO and NARs chest seals over Asherman. NARs makes a compact one that is a good size for RJs kit, and yeah, it should be in there...or at the very least, something to improvise a chest seal with. Plastic packaging from another item and a small roll of duct tape works. I've applied more than 20 improvised occlusive dressings to patients, and I have a strong preference for using premade chest seals. Way easier. Way quicker. Way more reliable/sticks better than tape.

If you're primarily concerned with GSWs as opposed to blast injuries (i.e. typical CONUS injuries from bad actors as opposed to overseas context) the compact sized chest seals make sense. Keep in mind that you can always cut a chest seal in half to treat two penetrating wounds...so, if you only have one chest seal, that doesn't mean you can only treat one wound.

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    My only suggestion would be a couple disposable space blankets. Hypothermia is an under appreciated threat to trauma patients, even in hot weather. My understanding is there is correlation data regarding the body temperature of trauma victims when they reach higher care and their survival rates.

@TGS could speak to this in more detail.
    Yep.

Hypothermia from trauma is very bad, and your chances of survival dramatically decrease as you approach full hypothermia. Don't quote me on the numbers as I don't have my references handy, but IIRC, 80% of trauma deaths present with some amount of hypothermia, and full hypothermia results in a 100% death rate. So, we know that it's not only common in severe trauma, but also bad. Very bad.

The space blanket is purposed to help reduce the rate of cooling and should be in there; my ifaks also have a cheap flat-fold shower cap (the ones in little flat cardboard packs at hotels) just because it's an easy gain for no real space. Just know that these are "last-ditch" efforts, and the best defense against hypothermia besides warmed fluid infusion is reducing the rate of blood loss as quickly as possible to begin with.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Quote Originally Posted by Kirk View Post
    I heard the same thing reported on the news, but I haven’t seen any explanation or written confirmation. I also heard eye witnesses speak who apparently alerted the police to his whereabouts, so who knows.

Brooklyn subway suspect tipped off police to his location

https://apnews.com/article/police-hu...0c7b09172829d3

5 people to split reward for turning in alleged subway shooter

https://abcnews.go.com/US/50000-rewa...ry?id=84110204

Amid NYPD manhunt, subway shooting suspect Frank James ate lunch at Katz’s Deli, walked NYC in plain view of surveillance cameras

https://www.nydailynews.com/new-york...3my-story.html

Site Supporter
    I have put on a dozen or more chest seals on patient’s suffering gunshots wounds. I highly recommend the Hyfin chest seals. They come in a convenient twin pack and aren’t very expensive.

Before I talked my department into buying decent chest seals we used petroleum gauze bandages. As TGS mentioned, those are a pain in the ass, especially when you have multiple entrance and exit wounds to deal with and the tape wants to stick to your glove but not the dude’s sweaty chest. However, petroleum gauze bandages are cheap, small and last forever, so I have a few of those in my bags. Also, I’m not worried about them going bad if they are left in a vehicle and more or less forgotten. You basically peal them in half and slap the petroleum gauze and half the foil wrapper over the wound and tape it down.

User Tag List