Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Loading Up .38

Loading Up .38

Hey, all. I haven't loaded any .38 since before electricity, but I've recently gotten my hands on a couple of nice round guns that I need to feed. I'm looking for any advice on bullets/powders/loads, since most of the load data I have is pretty antiquated (can't hardly read my hand writing, anyway!)

I'd especially like a good 148gr coated WC load - both for all the time shooting in the LCR and for plinking with my SAA clone.

I was looking at RMR bullets the other day and they have a 147gr FMJ that I thought might be a good plinker, but can't find ANY load data for 147 FMJ or JHP anywhere. If anyone's got something good, I'd appreciate the input.

Thanks in advance!

Quote Originally Posted by psalms144.1 View Post
    Hey, all. I haven't loaded any .38 since before electricity, but I've recently gotten my hands on a couple of nice round guns that I need to feed. I'm looking for any advice on bullets/powders/loads, since most of the load data I have is pretty antiquated (can't hardly read my hand writing, anyway!)

I'd especially like a good 148gr coated WC load - both for all the time shooting in the LCR and for plinking with my SAA clone.

I was looking at RMR bullets the other day and they have a 147gr FMJ that I thought might be a good plinker, but can't find ANY load data for 147 FMJ or JHP anywhere. If anyone's got something good, I'd appreciate the input.

Thanks in advance!
    I load 148 DEWC and 158 LSWC with 3.0 bullseye. All of my guns like these loads. I order bullets from ACME. I find ACME has good stock and they ship quickly.

I've been loading around 3.0 grains of Bullseye for an easy shooting load for years. Doesn't matter what bullet. I've been using 3.2 of Bullseye with Bayou coated 138 wadcutter or 158 SWC. Both are accurate and easy to shoot in snubbies.

The question these days is what powder do you have?
    The good (?) thing is two companies control most powder production/distribution and they both publish data on their websites.

https://www.alliantpowder.com/

https://www.hodgdonreloading.com/

You may have to SWAG due to the bullets you have vs what they list but reloaders have done that since primers were invented.

Right, what powder do you have? These days it is not a matter of the optimum components it is what is available that is reasonably suitable.

What gun?

P.S. A 147 grain jacketed bullet will respond quite well to loads for the old 146 gr Speer or even for a 140, 150, or 158.
    Code Name: JET STREAM

I load Missouri Bullet Co.'s "PPC" bullet, which is a soft 148-grain double end wadcutter over 3.2g of VV N330 and it is a beautifully accurate and great shooting load in J-Frames and my GP100.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Watson View Post
    Right, what powder do you have? These days it is not a matter of the optimum components it is what is available that is reasonably suitable.

What gun?

P.S. A 147 grain jacketed bullet will respond quite well to loads for the old 146 gr Speer or even for a 140, 150, or 158.
    Sorry, should have started there. I have 231, Titegroup (a LOT of TG), No 2, No 5, and Unique. I've read places where Titegroup is similar to Bullseye, but I find TG to be very smoky with lead bullets.

5.3gr 231 under 147gr gets 930fps from a 4" barrel.

Site Supporter
    If you're willing to spring for plated bullets, I'd go with the Titegroup. 231 and Unique are good choices for lead bullets. I haven't used those Accurate powders.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    I've seen a lot of comments about Titegroup burning very hot due to being double base and heating up semis. With its burn rate and light loads, probably not an issue, but I'd at least be hypervigilant for a little while about watching for any signs of flame cutting in a revolver. Especially one that would be difficult to replace.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

User Tag List