Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to grip a Sig P226

How to grip a Sig P226

I just picked up a lovely example of a mid-90’s P226 from a member here. Very excited to learn to shoot this and only my second deviating foray from Strikers (Glocks and a brief M&P stint back in 2012), the other being a pair of Beretta 92A1’s back in 2018. I put 6 rounds through it at the range when I picked it up and sure enough my strong hand thumb is an issue on the slide stop: failure to lock back on an empty mag.

I was intentionally trying to practice what I’ve read about: trying to get the thumb more outboard away from the lever. My thumbs are kinda short and so this is a challenge and didn’t work great.

Those of you with significant (no pun intended) time on a Sig Classic Series pistol, what’s the solution?
    Food Court Apprentice
    Semper Paratus certified AR15 armorer

Name:  EDCA0DDC-DE63-4F07-80FD-8F2553405004.jpeg
Views: 922
Size:  48.5 KB

Here’s a pic of Kyle defoors grip. It has been posted on here before, but that’s how I learned to grip a 226

I’ll second the notion of using Defoors grip. That’s what I trained myself to do.

And get one of the Legion slide stops. Much better design. Lower profile.

https://www.topgunsupply.com/sig-sau...ca-legion.html
    Formerly known as xpd54.
    The opinions expressed in this post are my own and do not reflect the opinions or policies of my employer.
    www.gunsnobbery.wordpress.com

On DASA P229s I just ride the release and accept the failure to lock back. I want the strong thumb recoil management on the frame for the 15 shots more than I care about the slide lock on the last.

The safety on the SAO P229 makes it a non issue.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Odds are good you'll like gripping it more if you put on some Hogue G10 grips. I like the checkered. Points are sharp, but you can very quickly adjust them to taste with some 320 grit.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Just went and pulled my 90’s vintage P220 out of the safe. Depending on hand size (I wear a 7.5 surgical glove for comparison), you may want to try a thumbs down grip like you might use on a revolver. I initially learned flagged thumbs from Tom Givens, but have gravitated to the thumbs down crush grip as described by Mas Ayoob, simply because it works with my hand size, grip strength, and everything in the gun safe. I can run most guns with a thumbs forward grip, but that generally draws blood over time, at least with a G19. The E2 grip module from Sig is worth it as an upgrade if you struggle with the trigger reach at all. I also run the decocker with my support hand thumb.

Site Supporter
    I really liked my Sig, but got tired of being frustrated with the slide stop and pinky finger punches on reloads, so I dealt with it by selling it.

Is there a chance that grinding some metal off to make it flatter would help. I don't like the idea that you shoot your other pistols w/ your standard grip and have to remember to change your grip for one pistol. You could buy a spare part and grind on that so you would always have the unmodified OE part.

Flag the thumb?
    David S.

Quote Originally Posted by CraigS View Post
    Is there a chance that grinding some metal off to make it flatter would help. I don't like the idea that you shoot your other pistols w/ your standard grip and have to remember to change your grip for one pistol. You could buy a spare part and grind on that so you would always have the unmodified OE part.
    Yes. BTDT. Up until the Legion I fought with my 226/229 duty guns for years. I ground one down to almost nothing, I’ll see if I have it somewhere in a bin. I replaced it with a new one before turning in my old duty gun.
    Formerly known as xpd54.
    The opinions expressed in this post are my own and do not reflect the opinions or policies of my employer.
    www.gunsnobbery.wordpress.com

User Tag List