Thread: Ohio Law? Fixed Blades?

Ohio Law? Fixed Blades?

Ohio has always been funky on knife laws, and they recently changed the law to make it better and funkier. Hoping some here might have some insight ( @Lon ?)

I always carry some type of lock blade, most often my Resilience (when I might need something to abuse and do not have a crowbar handy...) or my nice PM-2. There are times when I might not want to carry a gun, but it might be nice to have something like a Clinch Pick. For example, I am getting spooled up do more bicycling when the weather finally gets a bit better, and some of the trails can be a bit remote. I joined the YMCA and might ride there, and it is an NPE and can more easily conceal a small fixed blade in an active environment than a gun.

But the revised law is vague, saying concealed carry of a fixed blade is permitted, unless used as a weapon, but one article specifically said if it is used as an illegal weapon. I figure the probability is low that I would have any problems, if I am using the thing there is going to be an obvious reason, but I want to make sure I am understanding things correctly before I start spending money.

The answers which you seek may be here on my blog:
    https://gunsnobbery.wordpress.com

There are two different articles.

There’s a bill on the move that may change things again. It’s a preemption law for knives like we have for firearms.
    Formerly known as xpd54.
    The opinions expressed in this post are my own and do not reflect the opinions or policies of my employer.
    www.gunsnobbery.wordpress.com

Site Supporter
    Lon provided good information. One of my biggest concerns would be local ordinances. If, for example, I am going on a 1 1/2 to 2 hour drive, I have probably not identified every single county or municipality I will pass through. Even if all of them are identified, researching local laws is not always easy or convenient. So, one would be well-advised to select a knife that would be likely to comply with any local laws one is likely to unknowingly encounter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Any legal information I may post is general information, and is not legal advice. Such information may or may not apply to your specific situation. I am not your attorney unless an attorney-client relationship is separately and privately established.

Quote Originally Posted by Lon View Post
    The answers which you seek may be here on my blog
    Thanks for your help, that is exactly the info I was looking for, but pretty much confirms my confusion (is that at thing? ).
    It sounds like when I found out loading my magazines at home had been illegal all my life, it sounds like what knife I have been carrying has been illegal all my life. Maybe. Maybe not, unless I am in Beavercreek, in a park...

As mentioned, my main consideration is if I do not want to take a gun on a bicycle ride, from the sounds of things I probably should just continue to take a gun.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by mmc45414 View Post
    Thanks for your help, that is exactly the info I was looking for, but pretty much confirms my confusion (is that at thing? ).
    It sounds like when I found out loading my magazines at home had been illegal all my life, it sounds like what knife I have been carrying has been illegal all my life. Maybe. Maybe not, unless I am in Beavercreek, in a park...

As mentioned, my main consideration is if I do not want to take a gun on a bicycle ride, from the sounds of things I probably should just continue to take a gun.
    I bike 15-19 miles per ride, about 3 times per week, for fitness. A fanny pack works well. I am currently using a Hill People Gear fanny pack in their "snubby" size which holds up to a standard configuration Glock 19.

User Tag List