Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Black Hills Honey badger Ammo

Quote Originally Posted by 5pins View Post
    The selection process was probably watching this video a few times.

Except for the .380's penetration, I'm underwhelmed.

The term "wound cavity," as used in the video (and by others), to describe the disruption produced in gelatin is inaccurate.

There's a permanent cavity and a temporary cavity.

The permanent cavity is the gelatin/tissue directly contacted and crushed by the bullet as it penetrates.

Whereas the temporary cavity produces cracks in gelatin that many folks misinterpret as a depiction of the extent of permanent tissue damage.

The term "wound cavity" reinforces this misinterpretation.

Injecting food coloring into the wound track also reinforces this misinterpretation.

Until there are some solid technical papers confirming the greater destructive effects in human soft tissues being claimed by Black Hills and the manufacturer of the bullet design (LeHigh Defense, LLC), this ammo is nothing more than really expensive ball.
    ''Politics is for the present, but an equation is for eternity.'' ―Albert Einstein

Full disclosure per the Pistol-Forum CoC: I am the author of Quantitative Ammunition Selection.

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn Dodson View Post
    Except for the .380's penetration, I'm underwhelmed.

The term "wound cavity," as used in the video (and by others), to describe the disruption produced in gelatin is inaccurate.

There's a permanent cavity and a temporary cavity.

The permanent cavity is the gelatin/tissue directly contacted and crushed by the bullet as it penetrates.

Whereas the temporary cavity produces cracks in gelatin that many folks misinterpret as a depiction of the extent of permanent tissue damage.

The term "wound cavity" reinforces this misinterpretation.

Injecting food coloring into the wound track also reinforces this misinterpretation.
    Correct, permanent crush cavity is not actually correlated to gelatin at all.... if the bullet didn't touch it (.35" diameter) then what you see there is temporary cavitation which is questionable how much effect it might have on living tissue.

So why are these not on @DocGKR list?

Quote Originally Posted by Thy.Will.Be.Done View Post
    So why are these not on @DocGKR list?
    I would venture a guess that no LE agency has requested he test it. If they have, I would suspect it has something to do with post #12 above.

Name:  Screenshot_20220714-110822_Chrome.jpg
Views: 245
Size:  40.0 KB

DocGKR responds to statements concerning solid copper bullets

"There is an ever growing amount of evidence that the monolithic hydrostatic bullets cause greater wounds than hollow points."

No.

"All bullets do damage through hydrostatic shock."

No. Penetrating projectiles damage tissue by directly crushing it (permanent cavity) and stretching it (temporary cavity).

"I believe based upon gel tests it will rip up tissue better than HP."

Not likely.

User Tag List