Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Loading to regulate fixed sight revolver

Loading to regulate fixed sight revolver

Name:  282CF1BE-F0CB-42F4-85AE-21B072DF64FE.jpg
Views: 206
Size:  100.6 KBI have a 3” 629 that I have added the D&L rear and a gold bead front sight. The windage is perfect(thankfully) and my current practice load of 7.0grs of 231 and a 240gr ACME SWC, hits about an 1 1/2” high at 25yards.

If I wanted to lower the point of impact should I speed it up or slow it down?
    Last edited by BKS; 04-10-2022 at 01:15 PM.

Slow it down. I'd probably cut back to 6.7gr and work my way back up. Otherwise you'll need a taller front sight.

Quote Originally Posted by BKS View Post
    Name:  282CF1BE-F0CB-42F4-85AE-21B072DF64FE.jpg
Views: 206
Size:  100.6 KBI have a 3” 629 that I have added the D&L rear and a gold bead front sight. The windage is perfect(thankfully) and my current practice load of 7.0grs of 231 and a 240gr ACME SWC, hits about an 1 1/2” high at 25yards.

If I wanted to lower the point of impact should I speed it up or slow it down?
    My experience has been that more juice will bring your point of impact down. Seems counterintuitive, I know. I'm told its because the slug leaves the barrel sooner during muzzle rise.

Forgot to add: Nice looking rig. I always fall for a gold bead!

Quote Originally Posted by Oldherkpilot View Post
    My experience has been that more juice will bring your point of impact down. Seems counterintuitive, I know. I'm told its because the slug leaves the barrel sooner during muzzle rise.
    I think I agree.

I've found that lighter bullets hit lower.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by BN View Post
    I've found that lighter bullets hit lower.
    +1.

Site Supporter
    Lighter/faster hit lower, heavier/slower hit higher.

Site Supporter
    1.5 inch high at 25 yards is good for three reasons. One is that using a 6 o'clock hold on a small target would permit precise placement. The front sight would not cover up the object. A second is that the bullet should be dead on at 50 yards. A third is that inside of 7 yards hitting a small object like a snake's head would require less hold over. The easiest way to lower impact would be selecting a 200 grain bullet. I think you have a perfect load.

Agree with willie, 1.5" high at 25 yards is about right... if I could see the difference, which I probably cannot any more.
    But why take off the adjustable sight so you have to fudge the load to move the POI?
    Code Name: JET STREAM

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Watson View Post
    Agree with willie, 1.5" high at 25 yards is about right... if I could see the difference, which I probably cannot any more.
    But why take off the adjustable sight so you have to fudge the load to move the POI?
    I put a fixed rear on my 66 and after a little file work to open up the rear and move the poi a little I really like it over the adjustable.its faster and won't get knocked out of alignment.

125s @ 1450 shoot to low but 125s,. 158s, and 170s @1250 all shoot to either the dot or the tip of the front sight.

The sight picture is way better than fixed sight smiths too.

User Tag List