Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Full frame Glock choice

I watched a very unscientific comparison between 45 and 17 on YouTube. Yikes, I know. The guy, who seems a decent shooter, shot faster with the 17 with every drill. Both guns were irons only though.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by newyork View Post
    I watched a very unscientific comparison between 45 and 17 on YouTube. Yikes, I know. The guy, who seems a decent shooter, shot faster with the 17 with every drill. Both guns were irons only though.
    In the big scheme of things do not overthink this. It doesn't matter which gun you get whether it is a Glock 34, 17 or 45. If you buy enough ammo and practice and become proficient in whatever you buy you will be successful. Range time is more important than Glock model.

Would I need to also open up the slide where the ports are? All part of the same work? I dig your idea.
    No, the g34 gen 3 and 4 window is perfect as is. They removed the window on gen 5 though... sadly.

Quote Originally Posted by steve View Post
    In the big scheme of things do not overthink this. It doesn't matter which gun you get whether it is a Glock 34, 17 or 45. If you buy enough ammo and practice and become proficient in whatever you buy you will be successful. Range time is more important than Glock model.
    This. Also, if you (newyork) are talking about the Honest Outlaw video he concludes it's basically a wash and whatever you're used to is probably best (and that's without dots).

If I *did* correctly id the exact YouTube video you're talking about, I've clearly had too much internet lately...

Hahaha! That’s it. Same here. Way too much internet.

Quote Originally Posted by steve View Post
    This is true, despite the constant debate and hair-splitting enjoyed by many a forum member.

Site Supporter
    I set out to find a G45 or G19X at my local blue label dealers, only to find a G5 G17 at a blue label price I couldn't walk away from. Initially I was very pleased with the G5 grip and trigger, but I had mixed feelings and wondered if I should have held out for a G45 or G19X.

Then I shot the G5 G17 - and it was simply fantastic. It's a far better pistol than I am a pistol shooter. So I just bought more ammo and got back on practicing fundamentals. Instead of a G45 or G19X, I expect I'll spend that money on a direct mill, modern red dot, and more magazines/holsters instead.

Quote Originally Posted by UNM1136 View Post
    Never shot a G45. I have good size hands and shoot both the 17 and the 19 well.

In my opinion, the G45 was a step in the wrong direction. The hardest part of a gun to conceal is the butt. When carrying AIWB longer holsters tuck into the body tighter.

What most of us wanted was the G17K or G19L.

When I retire my G17 I will likely send it out for a grip chop, or use the DB G19 mag and belt sander process to cut the grip of my 17 down so it will take G19 mags.

pat
    The hardest part of a Glock for me to conceal, at 0300-0330, is the rear of the slide. I must have “bad size” hands, because I shot a G17 better than a G19. Actually, my hands, though long, are narrow, so, I can get a full-3-finger grip on a G19, and reloads would not pinch my pinkie finger. I do, however, appreciate the full-G17-length grip, because it bears against the “heel bone” of the weapon hand, for better stability.

The only time I tended to carry a G19, instead of a G17, during personal time, was for the more-esoteric carry methods, such as inside a Safepacker. Then, G19 pistols started aggravating my arthritis, in late 2017, so I stopped training with them, had put them away by 2018, and then traded them away in 2020. The last hurrah for the G19, in my case, was actually in my duty holster, because I had to patrol in one of those tiny Fords patrol vehicles, the final several months of my policin’ career. On the night I rode in the right seat, I carried a G19, because it cleared the right seat bolster, better, when I bailed out, in a hurry. On the nights I drove, I wore the G17. (I bought a G34-sized duty holster, so that I could use an extended barrel, or a mini-comped weapon, which would have been within PD policy. The G34 was actually not OK’ed.)

In my case, training with a G17 did not ensure skill with a G19. I had to train with a G19, too. Ultimately, a G19 was neither fish nor fowl, for me. I keep G17, G19x, and G26 pistols. (I do not normally shoot a G26, or any other compact nine, with my gimpy right hand, anymore.)

As for the dimensions of the G19x, well, it was built to meet the US Government specifications, for the weapon’s dimensions. I reckon that the G45 was built to cater to what the civilian market said about the G19x. At the local pistol emporium, it seems to be the G45 pistols that disappear the quickest, from inventory.

Personally, when my gimpy shoulder is having a bad day, a somewhat-shorter barrel and slide clears leather/Kydex just a bit easier. I usually handle that with a snubbier revolving pistol, rather than my G19x, but that is because I usually carry revolvers, anyway.
    Retar’d LE. Kinesthetic dufus.

Don’t tread on volcanos!

Why is it the 34.5 seems so unpopular or just not spoken of anymore?
    The open-topped slide, and the flat-wire RSA of the Gen4 G34, was of concern, as the pistol could eat sand, gravel, and debris, but have no way for it spit it out. This is a concern, with a street/defensive weapon. With the Gen5 G34 having a solid-topped slide, I am seriously considering acquiring one. My “battle belt” is my old duty belt, and my old duty holster is G34-length, plus, at least one of my regular holsters is G34-length. The holsters may not accept a Gen5 weapon, but that is why someone invented cut-off wheels, and, yes, I would cut the slide latch lever, not the holsters. (I am a lefty, and hate the “ambidextrous” slide latch.)
    Retar’d LE. Kinesthetic dufus.

Don’t tread on volcanos!

You make the case for both 45 and 34 haha. Damn it. Being attracted to both I wonder about meeting in the middle with the 17.

When my smiths both sell I may choose by picking the one that’s cheapest at the local shop. Maybe in mos

User Tag List