Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Full frame Glock choice

Full frame Glock choice

I’m looking to get back to Glocks with a j frame for pocket and a future 1911 for fun/nostalgia. I’ll be off loading my m&ps (I’d keep the if financially feasible).

I’ve picked up a g19 and planned on getting a full frame for range use; comps, future battle belt set up etc.

I’ve gone back and forth on which.

In the store I really liked the feel of the G45 and the g34. 34 seems to not get much mention here anymore. The 19 and 45/17/34 will be with irons for awhile but will both have dots next year. I’ve thought of a second g19 but I’d like a full frame around as I like the way they shoot/feel. Admittedly I have very limited full frame Glock experience other than plinking.

One thought is that when I get a safariland for a battle belt the depth must be picked and it may be smart to go g19 length and get a g45 so they both can be used. But maybe the bigger 17 or 34 is smarter since it’s also to be used for comps and HD.

This won’t be purchased until I sell both m&P and pay off a large chunk of my Alchemy 1911.

Thoughts ?

Sounds like you have specified a G45. It has the standard butt and with a dot, there is no sight radius advantage from G17 or 34.

What is a "battle belt", though?

If I had a G19 and a G45, I would color code or otherwise mark the magazines; picking up a G19 magazine when you wanted to reload your G45 would be a terrible disappointment.
    Code Name: JET STREAM

By battle belt I mean like an owb non competition set up. Safariland retention holster with a mix of rifle and pistol mags tq etc. the least important part of the choice but I was looking into a ferro or GBRS set up.

Good point on the mag marking. I did that with the m&P mags as well.

Site Supporter
    Food for thought:

IIRC part of the reason the Roland Special was set up as it was was because a G19+KKM barrel and comp would fit in existing G34 Holsters. I have an SME hoster on order cut for a G34 with a dot, and don't ever plan on having such a beast.

Current PF consensus is that when shooting dots shorter barrels and slides are better, leading to faster recovery from recoil.

I just bought my daughter a Gen 5 G19MOS, and like it much more than my Gen 4 G17MOS. I see myself getting a couple more 19s and retiring the 17. Every time I see the street price on P07s I think I will end up with a couple of those, too.

But in the end, the only one you have to satisfy is you.

pat

You prefer the 19 to the 45? I love the 19 but the full grips guns really appeal to me. But mostly because they’re. Mystery to me as I have zero time behind a g45 and very limited on the others. When I shot a 17 and 34 recently I really liked the hump placement and longer grip on both.

Sounds like a 2nd 19 or a 45 are the answer to me.

Quote Originally Posted by newyork View Post
    You prefer the 19 to the 45? I love the 19 but the full grips guns really appeal to me. But mostly because they’re. Mystery to me as I have zero time behind a g45 and very limited on the others. When I shot a 17 and 34 recently I really liked the hump placement and longer grip on both.

I've shot a G45 and a G19X several times before and these crossover models felt really soft shooting compared to my G17 and G19. I'm not completely sure but I think the G45 and the G19 share the same recoil spring assembly. This might further simplify spare parts commonality, if it matters.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by newyork View Post

If the 17 and 34 were gen 5's then the G45 will be the same feel. I would opt for the G45 in MOS if you want to red dot it later. Once you red dot it you can swap the slide with your Gen5 19 and have a two for one.

That’s what I’ll do. Done. Convinced.

Site Supporter
    Never shot a G45. I have good size hands and shoot both the 17 and the 19 well.

In my opinion, the G45 was a step in the wrong direction. The hardest part of a gun to conceal is the butt. When carrying AIWB longer holsters tuck into the body tighter.

What most of us wanted was the G17K or G19L.

When I retire my G17 I will likely send it out for a grip chop, or use the DB G19 mag and belt sander process to cut the grip of my 17 down so it will take G19 mags.

pat

User Tag List