Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: We FINALLY Bought a Python!

We FINALLY Bought a Python!

I’ve been asking the nearest Sportsmans Warehouse about the Python they always have listed as “In Stock”, but it’s never really quite in stock. I called today, and they assured me there was one at the store. We drove 30-40 minutes in horrific traffic, and they pulled one from the back. A guy bought it online, but never picked it up. The craftsmanship seems WAY better than any of my 686+ revolvers, and better than my King Cobras. This is a very robust revolver. The rear sight is tight, B/C gap is .004”, and it’s just tight all around. It fits nicely in my 4” 686+ holsters, and that’s a relief! Range report to follow.
    Edit: Got off my butt, and grabbed the Lyman trigger gauge. DA is very consistently 8lb 7-8oz, and the SA is not light at 5lb 4oz. I don’t shoot much in SA, but the break is crisp.
    ETA The trigger return is at least as strong as my L frame S&W’s. The King Cobra’s isn’t weak, but it doesn’t return with anywhere near the same authority. I’ve been examining the Python with as much OCD as always, and my only complaint is the serrated trigger. The fit and finish are as perfect as this revolver is meant to be.

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 944
Size:  58.2 KB
    Name:  088A4B25-519D-465D-BAE8-D1A8A197BFE9.jpg
Views: 924
Size:  79.7 KB
    Last edited by FrankB; 04-09-2022 at 08:53 PM.

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    THIS THREAD IS GOING TO COST ME MONEY!!!
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie B View Post
    It was worth every penny so far. The way the cylinder opens and closes is worth the cost. I can be frugal at times, but I’d buy another one tomorrow. S&W parts are easily available, but I don’t see the Python needing parts anytime soon. When I dropped my 3” KC and broke the hammer spur, Colt paid for the shipping and repair, and turned it around in just under 4 weeks. I’m a big fan of tight seams, and the Python has that covered perfectly.

Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie B View Post
    Me too.

Far Upper Midwest. Lower Midwest When I Absolutely Have To
    Very nice! Congrats! Awaiting your review. I too have been drooling like a retriever over these since they were announced. The rather substantial cost, along with the teething pains, has checked my enthusiasm. That seems to be a fading problem though, so that just leaves cost. I’ve spent many nights sleeping in the garage. What’s another week or two?
    Working diligently to enlarge my group size.

Quote Originally Posted by entropy View Post
    Very nice! Congrats! Awaiting your review. I too have been drooling like a retriever over these since they were announced. The rather substantial cost, along with the teething pains, has checked my enthusiasm. That seems to be a fading problem though, so that just leaves cost. I’ve spent many nights sleeping in the garage. What’s another week or two?
    My wife never met a handgun she didn’t want to buy, making “We” a dangerous duo. 🤣😎

That is a beauty! I'm a S&W guy, and was very skeptical about the quality of the new Pythons. I hadn't had the opportunity to handle one until fairly recently. Just a beautifully fitted and finished revolver. The DA is different than Colt's old V-spring revolvers. Not at all bad, Just different. Having finally handled one, this S&W guy would definitely consider one of the new Pythons.

Range Video

Ok… The rear sight was drifted to the right when I bought it, and it had to be centered. I thought ahead, and brought the proper size Allen wrench. The elevation needed to be brought up at least a foot. Overall it’s a cool revolver, and I carried it in my vertical Miami Classic holster. I honestly don’t know if it shoots any better than my S&W 686 revolvers, but my wife loves it.
    @Rock185 The quality is spectacular on this Python!

The 158 grain PMC .357 Magnum was HOT! The flash was crazy, and it turned the muzzle blue:
    Name:  F81AA8BA-2E53-4823-9A0D-478B6156BA8C.jpg
Views: 702
Size:  68.3 KB
    Name:  68AEC715-F197-4FDE-9503-134ED31F2076.jpg
Views: 725
Size:  76.7 KB

DON’T DROP THE SET SCREW!
    Name:  CF8E7C18-3681-4987-A1F7-73A6AEFDDB57.jpg
Views: 687
Size:  24.4 KB
    Last edited by FrankB; 04-10-2022 at 04:46 PM.

That's a nice gun.

I just realized if I bought a 6" Colt Python, it would use the same speed loaders as my GP100, so I would be SAVING MONEY.
    I was into 10mm Auto before it sold out and went mainstream, but these days I'm here for the revolver and epidemiology information.

Quote Originally Posted by Lester Polfus View Post
    That's a nice gun.

I just realized if I bought a 6" Colt Python, it would use the same speed loaders as my GP100, so I would be SAVING MONEY.
    My wife would agree with that reasoning 100%!

User Tag List