Thread: Calculus on entrance to NFA world

Calculus on entrance to NFA world

So far I've stayed out of the NFA world, but with the brace rules likely changing soon, I find myself reconsidering. I currently have a couple of 11.5" braced pistols- one is a retro 933 clone I have for sentimental reasons (first issued rifle was a 933), the other is modern with a red dot/free float mlok rail/A5 buffer, which is my bedside/home defense...thing. With the impending brace rule changes, the 933 will probably get SBR'd as changing the barrel would ruin the sentimental aspect, but for the modern style one I've hit the analysis paralysis stage.

1) Assuming I'm already entering the NFA world for the 933, should I SBR the second lower or re-barrel for a P&W 13.x"?

2) If doing pinned 13.x", should I try to future proof the muzzle device, and if so, which attachment format (Keymo, ASR, OSS, etc..)? It seems like the SOLGW nox flash hider is the "easy button" for P&W 13.x" builds.

2A)How valuable is low back-pressure/blow-through for cans? I'm at the "I don't know what I don't know" stage when it comes to cans, but my initial instinct is that a low back-pressure/blow though design would make things easier in terms of hosts. I'm not one that really cares about having the lowest possible db, but taking the edge off the blast from shorter barrels would be nice.
    Anything I post is my opinion alone as a private citizen.

SBRing costs $200 and you have unlimited choice in muzzle device when it comes to changing them up, plus you can get different uppers on the same lower. How much would P&W cost?

I too am new to suppressors. I decided to go with Surefire because I like military things, and they seem to be the #1 that our military uses. Plus, I already have some P&W uppers with Surefire devices.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    If you're going NFA anyway, definitely stamp and engrave the second lower.

I find the advantages of a trust compelling. Jim Willi is a popular provider in this area.

Capitol Armory is a popular NFA dealer in the Austin, TX area.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

About a decade ago when SBR became legal in AL I registered several AR lowers via the trust route and have never regretted it. In that time I have been able to build or buy just about any sort of upper I wanted, or change any of the furniture in any way I wanted, experimented with different cartridges, calibers, barrels, cans, sights, scopes, etc. etc. The only disadvantage is having to paper it to travel out of state, but that is not what mine are for anyway.

An SBR AR lower is great if you like to tinker and experiment. You can do what you want legally since you are not "permanently altering" the Form 1 or 4 stated OAL or barrel length with any stock or upper swaps.

My .02 cents on the matter... if it's reasonable to do (money wise) I would definitely get into the NFA game. I personally already have. Several SBRs and I think eight suppressors...and counting.

There is nothing at all wrong with it and it's extremely enjoyable to shoot with.

For me I am considering getting a pistol braced firearm for a number of reasons. With a suppressor if you want to travel to another state you are good to go. You don't need to notify anyone. With an SBR though taking it across state lines is one part of the NFA (other than the whole thing) that pisses me off. You can't take an SBR across state lines at will. You have to get permission in advance. Other than abolishing the whole thing, a good baby step would be to change that specific rule.

The reasons I want a braced pistol is I can stash it in my car a lot easier and should I ever need it I won't have to surrender my NFA stuff while the cops sort everything out. Plus there are no travel restrictions on pistols (for the most part).

The other reason I would want one is I want to make the likes of those jackasses in DC and other liberal nimwits jobs substantially harder. If they want to try and prosecute or force 20+ million owners of braced firearms to change, let them try. This is of course AFTER the same organization gave them explicit approval to sell braced firearms for over a decade. This is why the likes of Sig and others have been legally able to sell multi millions of units legally in factory configured setups for a substantial amount of time.

User Tag List