Page 19 of 32 FirstFirst ... 9171819202129 ... LastLast

Thread: Radian Weapons Afterburner / Ramjet - Glock 19 Barrel and Compensator

I just signed up for the email notification at Primary Arms. Their "qualified sale price" for LE is the cheapest price I have seen around for the barrel/Comp. Now the wait is on.

I received the replacement Radian barrel and comp for the G5 19. I installed it in the same pistol that I had problems with previously. I did remove the 509T and replace it with a 407 CO on a CHPWS plate. I did install the Radian guide rod with their 15 pound recoil spring. Cleaned the pistol and lubed it when I put it all back together. Here it is:

Name:  F44701D5-E62A-4C4A-ACA6-06E9ADA3D279.jpg
Views: 7938
Size:  100.6 KB

I started shooting Belom 124 grain range ammo, because that is what my wife and I were using for the rest of our practice session. This ammo runs in her Legion and my Open gun. I experienced a number of light strikes with this ammo, which I have seen before in Glock pistols with this ammo, as the Belom seems to have hard primers. Besides the light strikes, which are irrelevant to the comp function, the ammo wouldn't feed. I next tried a few rounds of 115 PMC that were in the bottom of my range bag, and it wouldn't function the comp. I had 50 rounds of AE 147, and that functioned 100 percent. I next shot a magazine of Gold Dot 124+P and it was 100 percent. I shot the Gold Dot on the head of the target at 20 yards. Started with this, and liked what I saw.

Name:  E09562F1-027C-462D-A114-98ADEF36258E.jpg
Views: 1095
Size:  41.0 KB

I shot the rest of the magazine and got this. Very happy with this load and barrel combination.

Name:  7EE2B12C-9036-41D5-8430-7191A105DEFB.jpg
Views: 1104
Size:  33.8 KB

For giggles, I ran the same Belom in a G19 with a Mayhem comp, and it functioned fine. I can only conclude that the Radian comp requires higher power factor ammo to function, or there is some tolerance stacking between the Radian and this particular pistol.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    I received the replacement Radian barrel and comp for the G5 19. I installed it in the same pistol that I had problems with previously. I did remove the 509T and replace it with a 407 CO on a CHPWS plate. I did install the Radian guide rod with their 15 pound recoil spring. Cleaned the pistol and lubed it when I put it all back together. Here it is:

Name:  F44701D5-E62A-4C4A-ACA6-06E9ADA3D279.jpg
Views: 7938
Size:  100.6 KB

I started shooting Belom 124 grain range ammo, because that is what my wife and I were using for the rest of our practice session. This ammo runs in her Legion and my Open gun. I experienced a number of light strikes with this ammo, which I have seen before in Glock pistols with this ammo, as the Belom seems to have hard primers. Besides the light strikes, which are irrelevant to the comp function, the ammo wouldn't feed. I next tried a few rounds of 115 PMC that were in the bottom of my range bag, and it wouldn't function the comp. I had 50 rounds of AE 147, and that functioned 100 percent. I next shot a magazine of Gold Dot 124+P and it was 100 percent. I shot the Gold Dot on the head of the target at 20 yards. Started with this, and liked what I saw.

Name:  E09562F1-027C-462D-A114-98ADEF36258E.jpg
Views: 1095
Size:  41.0 KB

I shot the rest of the magazine and got this. Very happy with this load and barrel combination.

Name:  7EE2B12C-9036-41D5-8430-7191A105DEFB.jpg
Views: 1104
Size:  33.8 KB

I know it was only 50 rounds, but what we're your thought's on it with the 147gr AE? I've been curious about one of these or the PMM Micro, but typically only shoot 147gr ammo. Is the comp worth it or would it really only be a benefit if shooting faster 124gr loads?

For giggles, I ran the same Belom in a G19 with a Mayhem comp, and it functioned fine. I can only conclude that the Radian comp requires higher power factor ammo to function, or there is some tolerance stacking between the Radian and this particular pistol.

Excellent shooting GJM,

On a side note not to derail the thread, do you find gold dot ammo to be more accurate then HST? You cannot ask to much more from your carry ammo/gun/shooter combo.

I believe a comp on an optic equipped Glock 19 makes the pistol shoot like a more capable pistol. I have been shooting 147+P Underwood hard cast through the comp and it seems to help.

Quote Originally Posted by EVP View Post
    Excellent shooting GJM,

On a side note not to derail the thread, do you find gold dot ammo to be more accurate then HST? You cannot ask to much more from your carry ammo/gun/shooter combo.
    For the last 5-10 years, 124 +P Gold Dot has been my default JHP load, and I have less experience with HST loads. I have been very pleased with the accuracy of Gold Dot in most pistols.

After shooting my Open gun today, I got to shoot my 19 with the Radian some more. First, I shot 75 rounds of AE 147, and it was reliable. Next I shot one box of 20 rounds of Underwood 147+P coated hard cast, and it functioned. Here was the group I shot, at 18 yards.

Name:  365963C8-52A6-4EA5-834F-743C19ADEB39.jpg
Views: 1007
Size:  38.0 KB

Next I shot a box of 20 rounds of the Underwood 115+P penetrator load, and it functioned fine. Here is a ten round group at 18.

The Radian seems fine with higher power factor ammo.

Name:  90A36C43-9086-4528-BFAC-68422DF7F4D4.jpg
Views: 1012
Size:  45.6 KB

I have about 300 additional rounds of AE 147 and Lawman 115 through the Radian without issue. One thing I have noticed, compared to the Mayhem, is the Radian cylinder seems in the right side, with sometimes a round on the edge of hanging up when you chamber a round.

I have about 300 additional rounds of AE 147 and Lawman 115 through the Radian without issue. One thing I have noticed, compared to the Mayhem, is the Radian cylinder seems in the right side, with sometimes a round on the edge of hanging up when you chamber a round.
    Darn iPhone -- Radian seems to have a tight chamber.

Darn iPhone -- Radian seems to have a tight chamber.
    Thanks for the correction. It does seem like the Radian system is very well made. I have not personally had any issues, and a few of our instructors are playing with these on the side in competition, etc. I’ve shot some 147 training ammo (ball) and a few 135+P Hornady loads the past two days- no stoppages. This included one handed shooting. This, coupled with my shooting some Underwood 115+P+ and 147 +P and @GJM s reports of these working indicate to me I’d run this with factory full power ammo.
    YMMV; we will continue our usage and report.

Site Supporter
    Got an instock email from a retailer today and was going to order one. 12 minutes later and already sold out.

A few days ago, I shot a few boxes through a 19 with an OEM barrel, and then a similar amount through a 19 with the Radian. If I had to choose, I would unquestionably buy another G19 before a comp. The comp makes it shoot better, but for defensive use, it probably falls into the inconsequential increment category.

User Tag List