Page 31 of 34 FirstFirst ... 212930313233 ... LastLast

Thread: Radian Weapons Afterburner / Ramjet - Glock 19 Barrel and Compensator

To me the 34 seems so long and front heavy, strictly to me. Maybe, I was just wanting to mess around with one of these comps for a change up. I wouldn't put one of these on a 17 as that makes it a 34 length essentially but would do a 45. I like the 17 length and I have g4 17 but like the g5's better. That and I have carried a 17 for several years and have gotten use to it. Since I already have the 34, I'll just mess around with it to give it a fair shake. I wonder what the difference is between a comped 45 and 34 is as far as recoil, handling etc?

I think the Radian is slightly more effective as a comp than the Mayhem Syndicate, but the Mayhem is more reliable across a wider range of ammo, and doesn't need a lighter recoil spring.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Modern Warriors has quite a few of the Gen 5’s in stock. https://modernwarriors.com/product/r...ntra-lok-combo

I ordered one last evening. I’ll have to re-read this thread about recoil spring weights. I’m mechanically illiterate so after it arrives and I’ve played around with it a bit, I may have to come back and ask some stupid questions. Lookin’ at you, @JCN.

Quote Originally Posted by Kanye Wyoming View Post
    Modern Warriors has quite a few of the Gen 5’s in stock. https://modernwarriors.com/product/r...ntra-lok-combo

I ordered one last evening. I’ll have to re-read this thread about recoil spring weights. I’m mechanically illiterate so after it arrives and I’ve played around with it a bit, I may have to come back and ask some stupid questions. Lookin’ at you, @JCN.
    Happy to help anytime!

Some general philosophical thoughts:

1. A compensator and spring setup that "works" across a wide range of ammo isn't optimized for anything (it's an all-season tire).

2. Depending on your goal for the setup (gaming versus self defense), optimize the gun for that ammo and accept suboptimal in other settings. A summer tire isn't appropriate for snowy conditions, but it doesn't mean that a summer tire isn't the best for summer. Context matters.

3. Radian chamber is stepped so it needs more frequent brushing and cleaning than a normal Glock chamber. This also comes into play when talking about what springs will "work." A dirty chamber will have a harder time loading the next round so super weaker recoil spring will have a harder time doing this and can lead to FTRB issues. That's not an issue with the system, it's just something to keep in mind.

4. There is a limit to how weak you can go in a spring depending on weight of slide + optic and ammo power. If you have a regular striker spring you also have to overcome that with the recoil spring too. So if you use a fully tensioned Glock performance or Timney trigger it can tolerate less recoil spring.

For super gamer ammo, you'll probably need an 11 pound spring. There won't be much margin.

For most range ammo probably 13-15 pound spring will work. I favor 13#. This also assumes you don't do things like dragging thumbs on side of slide... if you do that, there's no combination that's going to overcome that extra resistance.

If you're gearing up for self defense type applications then 15# is probably the sweet spot. You'll have to use full power ammo.

NDZ makes inexpensive swappable recoil spring setups. Pro tip... you don't have to run the end retention screw and can then just make it an uncaptured setup for even quicker swaps.

https://ndzperformance.com/glock-19-...s-steel-18379/

Tag me if I can help with anything!

I've run these rounds with my Afterburner/Ramjet for Gen 5. The main appeal for me was the lack of needing a threaded barrel as my state does not allow that. I'm not chasing maximum comp effectiveness and I have no interest in spring experiments, so these have all been with the factory spring and factory ammo:

S&B 115 FMJ
    Winchester 115 FMJ
    PMC 124 FMJ
    Fed AE 124
    Fed AE 147
    Fed HST 124
    Fed HST 124 +P
    Fed HST 147
    UMC 147 FMJ

Two pistols used:
    Glock 45 with ACRO
    Glock 19.5 with EPS

Every range trip involves at least two magazines worth of support hand only.

Zero issues of any kind across ~3000 rounds spread across those two pistols. So far I haven't cleaned them any more thoroughly than what has been my normal Glock cleaning for decades, i.e. pull a bore snake through the barrel and lube the normal lube points.

Quote Originally Posted by vandal View Post
    I've run these rounds with my Afterburner/Ramjet for Gen 5. The main appeal for me was the lack of needing a threaded barrel as my state does not allow that. I'm not chasing maximum comp effectiveness and I have no interest in spring experiments, so these have all been with the factory spring and factory ammo:

S&B 115 FMJ
    Winchester 115 FMJ
    PMC 124 FMJ
    Fed AE 124
    Fed AE 147
    Fed HST 124
    Fed HST 124 +P
    Fed HST 147
    UMC 147 FMJ

Two pistols used:
    Glock 45 with ACRO
    Glock 19.5 with EPS

Every range trip involves at least two magazines worth of support hand only.

Zero issues of any kind across ~3000 rounds spread across those two pistols. So far I haven't cleaned them any more thoroughly than what has been my normal Glock cleaning for decades, i.e. pull a bore snake through the barrel and lube the normal lube points.
    Are you iron sights or an optic? A heavier optic in addition to the comp may require hotter ammo or a lighter weight recoil spring.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

• Glock 45 with ACRO P2
    • Glock 19.5 with EPS

I am a pretty big/strong guy so maybe that helps.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Are you iron sights or an optic? A heavier optic in addition to the comp may require hotter ammo or a lighter weight recoil spring.

On my Glock 45 with a Holosun 509t, the 15lb spring seemed to be the sweet spot. That said, I didn't have any issues with a full power spring, it just felt a bit over sprung to me. I run a lot of regular factory ammo, very little +p, but the +p ran OK too. My "gamer" loads are warm for that purpose, but don't hit full factory values.

https://youtu.be/pGbC66-cB7A

Cool Ramjet build on a Nomad 9F frame.

Name:  IMG_2217.jpg
Views: 640
Size:  43.8 KB
    Formerly known as xpd54.
    The opinions expressed in this post are my own and do not reflect the opinions or policies of my employer.
    www.gunsnobbery.wordpress.com

IDPA legal

Thinking about picking one up along with the recoil spring, are these legal in IDPA for carry optics?

Thanks
    Steve

User Tag List